Recruiting slowing

snowling

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

RP grad transfer?

I have no idea if he is going to graduate this year or not, but aren't all players going to be allowed to transfer without sitting out? 

My guess is just based on the idea that if both RP and Durham stay, they will see their minutes cut a lot with the rise of Lander and, presumably, Stewart. So, I figure one of them goes. 

If Durham leaves, I think Rob can bring value as a veteran off the bench, particularly if we need defensive help.  

As for Durham, he’s played a ton for four years.  My guess is he’s in the moving on category.  There’s no real gap for him that he needs to fill in in terms of experience.  He’s “been there, done that.”  

Brunk is different because he hasn’t had a good four years in.  He has lost two years and may want to get going on law school.  But he might feel like he has a little more to play for.  He has the rest of his life to be a lawyer.  What’s more fun, playing high level ball for another year, or getting an extra year in as a lawyer?  You only get one life.  

Just my guesses.

2 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

If Durham leaves, I think Rob can bring value as a veteran off the bench, particularly if we need defensive help.  

As for Durham, he’s played a ton for four years.  My guess is he’s in the moving on category.  There’s no real gap for him that he needs to fill in in terms of experience.  He’s “been there, done that.”  

Brunk is different because he hasn’t had a good four years in.  He has lost two years and may want to get going on law school.  But he might feel like he has a little more to play for.  He has the rest of his life to be a lawyer.  What’s more fun, playing high level ball for another year, or getting an extra year in as a lawyer?  You only get one life.  

Just my guesses.

Yeah, I’m ready to move on with Al, but I’d like to see everybody else return. I think TJD is foolish if he leaves. The NBA will be just like the two Illinois games where he got destroyed down low. And he can’t shoot well enough to bring a big man away from the basket. If everybody returns (Al or no Al) I think you could see this team jump to another level. TJD, RT, JB, and LD down low .... Stewart will be ready to play, and year 2 for the freshmen. Be nice to bring in another PG and SG, but regardless of how it shakes CAM has next year to make a leap. COVID bought us a free recruiting year in a sense, but he needs to strike a good class in ‘22. 

13 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Crean won two Big Ten titles and went to three Sweet 16s in five years before having one down year and getting fired.  And Crean’s “down” years over that time period (2013-2014, 2014-2015, and 2016-2017) were equal to or better than any season Archie’s been able to put together up to this point.  Archie didn’t start in a worse position than Holtmann by any stretch of the imagination — he was hired to build on what Crean was able to achieve, but instead, he’s run the program into the ground.

Yes, he did start in a worse position than Holtman, it's not even really debatable. Holtman took over for a guy that ran one of the premier programs in the country for over a decade. 

Archie took over a program that has been inconsistent and basically down, outside of a few good years, for 25 years. Momentum matters. It took Crean 4 years to turn things around and even then he couldn't keep it going.  Momentum matters and it will take a special coach to turn that around for the long term. 

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

Yes, he did start in a worse position than Holtman, it's not even really debatable. Holtman took over for a guy that ran one of the premier programs in the country for over a decade. 

Archie took over a program that has been inconsistent and basically down, outside of a few good years, for 25 years. Momentum matters. It took Crean 4 years to turn things around and even then he couldn't keep it going.  Momentum matters and it will take a special coach to turn that around for the long term. 

Mick Cronin?

6 hours ago, rico said:

Mick Cronin?

Hate to sound like Scott on this one because IU is the dormant Alabama of college basketball but any coach at UCLA is guaranteed a handful of recruits just because they're in LA. He basically already fills half of his team without even recruiting.  And he's quickly taking them to the top of a weak conference which means high seed every year.

I don’t have a huge problem with Archies recruiting. He has added a lot of “good” pieces to the program. My only issue is he hasn’t added enough nba/all American stud talent to the roster. You need stars on your team...you need multiple stars. Minimum 2 at any one point. We’ve had 1 at a time but never 2. The issue with recruiting slowing isn’t overall numbers so much but it’s the number of high end recruits slowing. The question becomes we don’t have more than one stud at a time and now we don’t even have the replacement star for Trayce when he leaves. It also doesn’t ever help calm the fan base when your arch rival had whooped your butt on the floor and in the standings the past half dozen years and is now out recruiting you as well...so it doesn’t appear your are besting them any time soon.

11 hours ago, dgambill said:

I don’t have a huge problem with Archies recruiting. He has added a lot of “good” pieces to the program. My only issue is he hasn’t added enough nba/all American stud talent to the roster. You need stars on your team...you need multiple stars. Minimum 2 at any one point. We’ve had 1 at a time but never 2. The issue with recruiting slowing isn’t overall numbers so much but it’s the number of high end recruits slowing. The question becomes we don’t have more than one stud at a time and now we don’t even have the replacement star for Trayce when he leaves. It also doesn’t ever help calm the fan base when your arch rival had whooped your butt on the floor and in the standings the past half dozen years and is now out recruiting you as well...so it doesn’t appear your are besting them any time soon.

With any luck we will have TJD and Lander next year. Franklin could enter that conversation, too.

1 hour ago, HoosierDom said:

With any luck we will have TJD and Lander next year. Franklin could enter that conversation, too.

I don’t like to depend on luck. Luck isn’t a good way to build and plan your roster imo. Archie should have a better plan than that and lining up recruits to fill the voids that would be left. Just my opinion...besides...when has IU been lucky with anything in the last 20 years? 

2 hours ago, HoosierDom said:

I think Franklin's ankle injury has slowed him down considerably.

CAM has got to go with Lander now.  Ready or not here we come.   He just can't let a 5-star talent languish on the bench seeing maybe 10 minutes a game.  Lander came to play with TJD.  Sink or swim.  Let him play.

On 2/5/2021 at 3:44 PM, ledies22 said:

Lander has been playing MUCH better. But i dont understand the thought process of having to play a 5 star freshman, just because hes a 5 star freshman. CAM cant afford to play for the future right now. He has to put in what he thinks is his best chance to win now.

CAM's future at IU extends through the end of next season unless things get significantly better.  If a great candidate appears in the near future, it may be just this season.  TJD may not be here next year.

1 hour ago, slojoe said:

CAM's future at IU extends through the end of next season unless things get significantly better.  If a great candidate appears in the near future, it may be just this season.  TJD may not be here next year.

TJD should be here next season. Plain and simple. Projected a late 2nd rounder. Free throws, hustle, etc are just a few things to mention. 

13 hours ago, slojoe said:

exactly my point. play the players that give you the best chance to win now. 

Archived