Recruiting slowing

snowling

58 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

exactly my point. play the players that give you the best chance to win now. 

Which you could make the case that Lander does. He brings a different dimension to the team especially in transition. The reason he's started playing better is more consistent opportunity. If he doesn't play yesterday along with the other freshman they probably don't make that run in the first half and probably lose. So I think I'm a little lost on your point. 

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, DC2345 said:

Which you could make the case that Lander does. He brings a different dimension to the team especially in transition. The reason he's started playing better is more consistent opportunity. If he doesn't play yesterday along with the other freshman they probably don't make that run in the first half and probably lose. So I think I'm a little lost on your point. 

I was simply saying that Lander needing more playing time just because he is a 5 star recruit is rubbish. If CAM wants to stick around, he needs to win now, and not play for the future and play a 5 star freshman just because he's a 5 star freshman.

I would agree with you saying that at times Lander does add value on the floor, especially when hes hitting shots. In the same breath i will say he is a defensive liability. Thus at times, he doesnt need to be on the floor. 

On 2/8/2021 at 1:09 PM, ledies22 said:

I was simply saying that Lander needing more playing time just because he is a 5 star recruit is rubbish. If CAM wants to stick around, he needs to win now, and not play for the future and play a 5 star freshman just because he's a 5 star freshman.

I would agree with you saying that at times Lander does add value on the floor, especially when hes hitting shots. In the same breath i will say he is a defensive liability. Thus at times, he doesnt need to be on the floor. 

Lander is also a year too young.  Numerous instances of 5 star kids reclassifying a year early and needing time.  Juzang from Kentucky. Selden had a 12 PER his frosh year. Tai Wynard. Joey Baker.  And more....

I think Archie has handled Lander just fine.  I don’t have any complaints.  He’s been worked in all along.  He started slowly and had some bumps with the speed of the game.  He’s playing quite a bit now but I agree with not starting him.  Don’t let him bite off more than we think he can chew.    

The bottom line is I give the staff and the player major credit.  He’s gotten much, much better.  The staff and the player didn’t just mail it in for the season and rely on the summer to improve.  He got better on the fly during the urgency of the season.  That’s a feather in the cap of the staff as they recruit other players.  

I see some posters take shots at Lander and I just laugh.  I’m sorry, but if you are taking shots at Lander for making mistakes, you have no imagination for what he can become.  He’s playing to develop experience and we are seeing that the investment has led to him giving valuable minutes. That cycle will continue.  His shot selection hasn’t been great all the time, but I think Archie is smartly handling him so he’s not too tight.  You can’t have a point guard terrified out there and Archie gets it. 

The kid projects to be very well rounded.  His handle is very strong, as is his floor game.  I like his attitude. There’s a toughness there.  If he weren’t tough, after a couple of mistakes he’d take his ball and go home.  He hasn’t done that.  He’s had the resolve to get better.  We have several good players but IMO Lander has the best upside.  

People complaining about the extra year now may see the benefit when they have the benefit of hindsight if he really develops the way I think he can.  If you want to get up there with Michigan, this is the type of talent we need on the floor particularly after he gets the experience and feel for this level.  

2 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I think Archie has handled Lander just fine.  I don’t have any complaints.  He’s been worked in all along.  He started slowly and had some bumps with the speed of the game.  He’s playing quite a bit now but I agree with not starting him.  Don’t let him bite off more than we think he can chew.    

The bottom line is I give the staff and the player major credit.  He’s gotten much, much better.  The staff and the player didn’t just mail it in for the season and rely on the summer to improve.  He got better on the fly during the urgency of the season.  That’s a feather in the cap of the staff as they recruit other players.  

I see some posters take shots at Lander and I just laugh.  I’m sorry, but if you are taking shots at Lander for making mistakes, you have no imagination for what he can become.  He’s playing to develop experience and we are seeing that the investment has led to him giving valuable minutes. That cycle will continue.  His shot selection hasn’t been great all the time, but I think Archie is smartly handling him so he’s not too tight.  You can’t have a point guard terrified out there and Archie gets it. 

The kid projects to be very well rounded.  His handle is very strong, as is his floor game.  I like his attitude. There’s a toughness there.  If he weren’t tough, after a couple of mistakes he’d take his ball and go home.  He hasn’t done that.  He’s had the resolve to get better.  We have several good players but IMO Lander has the best upside.  

People complaining about the extra year now may see the benefit when they have the benefit of hindsight if he really develops the way I think he can.  If you want to get up there with Michigan, this is the type of talent we need on the floor particularly after he gets the experience and feel for this level.  

Absolutely spot on. Lander haters try talking about him being a 5 star player. Yes he is NEXT YEAR. This year he is a high school senior. Next year the expectations should be higher because he’s now with his original class. CAM has developed lander, Franklin, and Race extremely well. Leal and Galloway are in that next tier where he will have them developed in a couple of years. When people say he doesn’t develop kids as good as other coaches do  I tend to say we just don’t really know yet. Once Al is gone this will be CAM’s first full team with no Crean leftovers on top of that no Indiana coach has ever had to go through a pandemic like this ever. I don’t think that’s talked about enough honestly.

On 2/11/2021 at 8:05 PM, BobSaccamanno said:

Landers ball handling and passing reminds me of Ja Morant. I watched him play live at Murray his freshman and sophomore years. As a freshman you saw flashes but he was primarily a passer. He was special you could tell making one handed passes with either hand and hitting guys for open 3s. His shot was not pretty but he got to the rim and finished pretty well. Then his sophomore year he just took a huge leap. Hit the 3 pretty good and that was enough to cause teams to have to over commit and he could blow by them. He got a lot stronger and of course he could finish above the rim. Thing is with Lander he has similar athleticism where he is just as fast with the ball as without and he has that same vision on the court. It might be one thing to see the floor but he can also deliver the ball into almost impossible angles/windows. If Khristian can get his 3pt shot to 35/36% that should be good enough to open up driving lanes for him. I have to remember he is still a year younger so he could really be on that same path to be that same type of player. 

6 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Landers ball handling and passing reminds me of Ja Morant. I watched him play live at Murray his freshman and sophomore years. As a freshman you saw flashes but he was primarily a passer. He was special you could tell making one handed passes with either hand and hitting guys for open 3s. His shot was not pretty but he got to the rim and finished pretty well. Then his sophomore year he just took a huge leap. Hit the 3 pretty good and that was enough to cause teams to have to over commit and he could blow by them. He got a lot stronger and of course he could finish above the rim. Thing is with Lander he has similar athleticism where he is just as fast with the ball as without and he has that same vision on the court. It might be one thing to see the floor but he can also deliver the ball into almost impossible angles/windows. If Khristian can get his 3pt shot to 35/36% that should be good enough to open up driving lanes for him. I have to remember he is still a year younger so he could really be on that same path to be that same type of player. 

I will be happy if he's half the player that Morant is.

3 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

I will be happy if he's half the player that Morant is.

I think he has the tools...it’s up to him and how hard he works going into next year. Unfortunately the other thing about Morant is he had a lot of turnovers too...always pushing the envelope so you have to live with that if you want the rest.

7 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

Michigan state just had a 4 star decommit..Enoch Boakye #4 center..maybe IU gets involved...doubtful 

https://www.si.com/college/recruiting/basketball/enoch-boakye-decommits-from-michigan-state

Sadly, looks like you're right about doubtful. We're not on the list of those who have reached out according to the article. Decommitted b/c of the perceived logjam of players at MSU since more will be coming back due to underwhelming season is the reason given for the decommit.

24 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

Didnt know where else to post this but Illinois just got a '21 4 star SF committ in RJ Melendez

Underwood is recruiting Puerto Rico hard...

"Illinois assistant coach Orlando Antigua, whose mother is Puerto Rican and who played professionally there, was listed as Melendez’s primary recruiter. Illini freshman point guard Andre Curbelo and walk-on freshman guard Edgar Padilla also are from Puerto Rico.

“It feels like (Illinois’) style of play fits really well with me,” Melendez told 247 Sports. “Andre Curbelo is a really great point guard and he is from Puerto Rico, so the chemistry is going to be great in college and it’s going to be good for me to prepare for my dreams of playing in the NBA.”

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Haven't checked but I would bet that there is probably less commitments for the 2022 class that is normal for this time of the year.  We do have 1 commitment from that class so it doesn't seem to far behind.

There are 17 kids in the 247 top 150 players ranking that are committed. 

Archived