Recruiting slowing

snowling

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

Do we anticipate anyone transferring once this season comes to an end or no?  Right now assuming everyone returns we have 11 scholarships on the books.  

Honestly in this world I expect at least 1 each year from here on out. Sometimes 2. Looking at our team I don't see any one specific player that screams transfer but I see a couple of guys if they decide to move on I would understand.

Won't name the players though. Not big on that part of the fan discussion.

I’d love to see about three transfers.  A veteran big man who can compete in the post, a consistent and reliable point guard who can help Lander, and possibly a forward who is versatile and who can score and rebound.  If it takes a transfer to make that happen, it is what it is.  

More than anything, we need a monster summer on player development.  It’s nice to add players but we have existing players who have good attitudes and can really do a lot next year.

Galloway to become a solid shooter.  Franklin to improve on D, including off the bounce.  Lander to get much stronger and solid physically, as well as calming him down on his shot.  Leal to get his shot going at the speed of the B1G and to really develop his positioning and strength on D so he can compensate for foot speed.   Geronimo to develop his perimeter game including ball handling and defense away from the basket.  If Trayce is back, a solid mid range jumper and developing inside moves against length. Etc. Free throws for everybody   They are so ugly that way, you might need a shot doctor.  We’ve talked about how stiff and robotic they look.  Not enough knee bend but doing it too much with their arms.  

Huge, huge summer for player development.  

21 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I’d love to see about three transfers.  A veteran big man who can compete in the post, a consistent and reliable point guard who can help Lander, and possibly a forward who is versatile and who can score and rebound.  If it takes a transfer to make that happen, it is what it is.  

More than anything, we need a monster summer on player development.  It’s nice to add players but we have existing players who have good attitudes and can really do a lot next year.

Galloway to become a solid shooter.  Franklin to improve on D, including off the bounce.  Lander to get much stronger and solid physically, as well as calming him down on his shot.  Leal to get his shot going at the speed of the B1G and to really develop his positioning and strength on D so he can compensate for foot speed.   Geronimo to develop his perimeter game including ball handling and defense away from the basket.  If Trayce is back, a solid mid range jumper and developing inside moves against length. Etc. Free throws for everybody   They are so ugly that way, you might need a shot doctor.  We’ve talked about how stiff and robotic they look.  Not enough knee bend but doing it too much with their arms.  

Huge, huge summer for player development.  

Agree!

As I read your comments, they really sum up why CAM needs to go.  These points are too obvious even for the most casual of BB fans and yet have NEVER BEEN SEEN since CAM's hiring.  CAM simply was not what were thought we were getting despite the comments of RMK.  

So sad for all of us, CAM, the players, and fans.

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Honestly in this world I expect at least 1 each year from here on out. Sometimes 2. Looking at our team I don't see any one specific player that screams transfer but I see a couple of guys if they decide to move on I would understand.

Won't name the players though. Not big on that part of the fan discussion.

It’s not just “in this world”. Guys transferring has been going on for decades. We have had transfers almost every year (many times more than one) going back to the beginning of the Knight era.

1 hour ago, IU878176 said:

It’s not just “in this world”. Guys transferring has been going on for decades. We have had transfers almost every year (many times more than one) going back to the beginning of the Knight era.

I remember us losing 3 McDonald's AA in two years to transfers(Reed, Recker, Collier)

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I remember us losing 3 McDonald's AA in two years to transfers(Reed, Recker, Collier)

When we started losing burger boys that was the beginning of the end. As you point out we had guys transfer that got a lot of playing time( versus just losing guys buried on the bench).

A few more that quickly come to mind are, Lawson, Calloway, Giomi, Funderburke, Simmons, Holcomb, Valavicius, etc.  

The difference between the Knight and Crean transfers was that nearly all of the Knight transfers ended up at power 5 schools and most of them went on to average in double figures while Creans guys mostly went to the Middle Tennessee States of the world.  

2 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

When we started losing burger boys that was the beginning of the end. As you point out we had guys transfer that got a lot of playing time( versus just losing guys buried on the bench).

A few more that quickly come to mind are, Lawson, Calloway, Giomi, Funderburke, Simmons, Holcomb, Valavicius, etc.  

The difference between the Knight and Crean transfers was that nearly all of the Knight transfers ended up at power 5 schools and most of them went on to average in double figures while Creans guys mostly went to the Middle Tennessee States of the world.  

I couldn't believe how far Calloway fell from being a key part to a championship team to sitting the bench the next year.

43 minutes ago, IU878176 said:

Wasn't familiar with Valavicius, so google led me to this...

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1987-03-27-sp-96-story.html

36 minutes ago, cybergates said:

Wasn't familiar with Valavicius, so google led me to this...

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1987-03-27-sp-96-story.html

Good find. I knew he was an Indiana kid that wanted out but did not realize it was to the degree of his quotes in the article.

FWIW....he averaged 14 a game the first year he was eligible at Auburn.

I think Archie’s biggest downfall has been recruiting nationally - hence why he hired Kenya.  He’s landed some big fish in-state, but that’s really it. And Jerome has performed under his ranking (unless his injury completely derailed him).  

These rankings look more like a Dayton roster.  Hopefully we’ll see some better players in here and some big development this off-season - which is hopefully a much more normal one.  

Phin - 135, Romeo - 7, Damezi - 124, Hunter - 59, Forrester - 147, TJD - 30, Armaan - 151, Lander - 27, Geronimo - 103, Leal - 152, Galloway - 153, Duncomb - 74

2 hours ago, Bustout said:

I think Archie’s biggest downfall has been recruiting nationally - hence why he hired Kenya.  He’s landed some big fish in-state, but that’s really it. And Jerome has performed under his ranking (unless his injury completely derailed him).  

These rankings look more like a Dayton roster.  Hopefully we’ll see some better players in here and some big development this off-season - which is hopefully a much more normal one.  

Phin - 135, Romeo - 7, Damezi - 124, Hunter - 59, Forrester - 147, TJD - 30, Armaan - 151, Lander - 27, Geronimo - 103, Leal - 152, Galloway - 153, Duncomb - 74

And here is the rub. We put so much pressure on recruiting the state it can backfire. I realize rankings aren't everything. Especially with some Indiana high school kids...but 135, 124, 151, 152, 153 for 5 Indiana kids. Archie goes out of state he gets beat up. He stays in state and he loses...it's on him. 

I'm not saying it's all on the kids or all on Archie but I hear far more talk about being Archie's fault instead of shooting 9-60 from 3 these last 3 games.

5 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

And here is the rub. We put so much pressure on recruiting the state it can backfire. I realize rankings aren't everything. Especially with some Indiana high school kids...but 135, 124, 151, 152, 153 for 5 Indiana kids. Archie goes out of state he gets beat up. He stays in state and he loses...it's on him. 

I'm not saying it's all on the kids or all on Archie but I hear far more talk about being Archie's fault instead of shooting 9-60 from 3 these last 3 games.

100%. It’s a double-edged sword.  He wanted to establish himself in the state, so he went after a lot of Indiana kids.  I raised the question before, but I wonder if maybe he didn’t look elsewhere because a guy was from Indiana and bc of that - he focused on them.    

They got some great kids this way and even three five stars.   But, by hiring Kenya, he realized he needed more and now that’s they’re established within the state - he needs to land guys nationally  .... for instance Dawson Garcia would’ve been awesome.     

Good players will make plays, create shots, and make shots.  I actually think Archie is a decent coach, but he’s recruiting A10 talent to the B1G ... and last off-season was tough to develop kids.   

12 minutes ago, Bustout said:

100%. It’s a double-edged sword.  He wanted to establish himself in the state, so he went after a lot of Indiana kids.  I raised the question before, but I wonder if maybe he didn’t look elsewhere because a guy was from Indiana and bc of that - he focused on them.    

They got some great kids this way and even three five stars.   But, by hiring Kenya, he realized he needed more and now that’s they’re established within the state - he needs to land guys nationally  .... for instance Dawson Garcia would’ve been awesome.     

Good players will make plays, create shots, and make shots.  I actually think Archie is a decent coach, but he’s recruiting A10 talent to the B1G ... and last off-season was tough to develop kids.   

We need more guys in the 30-80 range than having half of your roster 100+

17 hours ago, Bustout said:

There are 65 Power 5 schools.  And that does not even take into account schools like Gonzaga and Villanova.  Factor in Duke and UK taking 5 top recruits each every year and how many are left for the other teams?

So, no, that is not a 'Dayton' roster.  Purdue's probably looks the same or worse.

We're getting our fair share.  They just are not developing and our offense and defense both suck.

7 hours ago, 5fouls said:

There are 65 Power 5 schools.  And that does not even take into account schools like Gonzaga and Villanova.  Factor in Duke and UK taking 5 top recruits each every year and how many are left for the other teams?

So, no, that is not a 'Dayton' roster.  Purdue's probably looks the same or worse.

We're getting our fair share.  They just are not developing and our offense and defense both suck.

Archie just ain't developing them to execute.  We need to work on development and execution.

I think it simply comes down not having shooters guys, which at this point is CAM’s fault (and I’ve always defended him). You HAVE to make 7-8 threes a game in today’s game. We dominated the paint in a lot of games but still lost bc teams made 7-8 threes vs our 1-3. It’s just too difficult to make up the difference. We need another big (Brunk and Duncomb along with TJD and Race will be huge next year), and a lethal shooter. A lethal shooter is what is elusive to us. If he doesn’t find that shooter for next year, it’s going to be his last.... and at this point I can’t argue against it. 

Archived