Recruiting slowing

snowling

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The additional COVID year and full blown free agency this off-season is throwing a wrench in everything for recruiting.  It’s also hard to evaluate a lot of these kids right now.  This team has a lot of younger classmen. 

While recent recruiting hasn’t been stellar, IU will still be able to attract kids in due time - probably more focused next fall when next years roster is set in place and the puzzle is worked out this offseason.    

6 minutes ago, Inequality said:

How is this another Archie bashing thread? The current state of the program is what it is.

I think we all can appreciate what @snowling brings to the board. 

Im pretty sure the OP only had intentions of bringing the board information on a relevant topic that some may want read and discuss. Nothing more. 

It wasn't the article I was talking about but we all know what the comments will be like in this thread

3 hours ago, jefftheref said:

The product being shown on the basketball court is not very exciting or impressive. Why would any top talent want to come here after the last four years of mediocrity? I wished the future was brighter but I just don't see it happening. 

I can’t make any sense of recruiting. Aminu Mohammed committed to a dumpster fire at Georgetown and Javonte Brown-Ferguson is transferring to a bad A&M team that has no offense 

2 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

I can’t make any sense of recruiting. Aminu Mohammed committed to a dumpster fire at Georgetown and Javonte Brown-Ferguson is transferring to a bad A&M team that has no offense 

I agree totally. Maybe Archie's lack of personality is the problem.

20 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

I don’t think half of these kids care about winning, teams, etc. They want to be the man and be showcased.  

18 minutes ago, jefftheref said:

I’m guessing the last thing a lot of these kids want to hear is “Defense first”.  

IF IF IF TJD stays next year, which we’ve debated ad nauseam, Archie’s blueprint of get old and stay old will finally come to fruition. And it’s largely based on defensive principles first.   I really hope it pays off next year and Archie will need it to as well. 

I personally still think there are just so many questions that will be answered this off season personnel-wise, that they won’t pick up recruiting a ton until the fall.  

1 hour ago, jefftheref said:

It's a very big problem. The guy projects about as much excitement as Ferris Bueller's econ teacher. Guys like Calipari and Pearl are rock stars who are always good for a sound bite when you need one. Archie Miller is boring and so is his program. 

3 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Well that's the concern.  If where these 2 went are dumpster fires, what are we?

Let's all make a pact.  If a regular contributor to the board, like Snowling, publishes an article, or simply an opinion, that everything is not perfect, let's not complain about it being negative.  Every regular contributor on here has a right to feel free to post what he/she is thinking.  In this case, the article is well-written and contains obvious facts.  If someone disagrees with the premise of the thread, feel free to start a thread with a counter-argument about how wonderful our current recruiting is going.

If a negative Archie thread is started by an obvious troll, go for it.  Call the troll out.  But, also keep in mind that out Mods do a great job of thinning the trolls.  But. this is not one of those situations.  Good article, based on strong supporting evidence, written by a long time contributor to the board.

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Let's all make a pact.  If a regular contributor to the board, like Snowling, publishes an article, or simply an opinion, that everything is not perfect, let's not complain about it being negative.  Every regular contributor on here has a right to feel free to post what he/she is thinking.  In this case, the article is well-written and contains obvious facts.  If someone disagrees with the premise of the thread, feel free to start a thread with a counter-argument about how wonderful our current recruiting is going.

If a negative Archie thread is started by an obvious troll, go for it.  Call the troll out.  But, also keep in mind that out Mods do a great job of thinning the trolls.  But. this is not one of those situations.  Good article, based on strong supporting evidence, written by a long time contributor to the board.

Sorry if I didn’t follow a board rule.  My point to the article was that recruiting has slowed due to COVID and the unknowns of next years roster - which I think will be ironed out by fall and recruiting will pick up again.  Sorry again if I messed up here 

2 minutes ago, Bustout said:

Sorry if I didn’t follow a board rule.  My point to the article was that recruiting has slowed due to COVID and the unknowns of next years roster - which I think will be ironed out by fall and recruiting will pick up again.  Sorry again if I messed up here 

I wasn't addressing your posts.  Your posts added to the discussion, which I am fine with.  My concerns were a couple of posts that specifically called this 'another Archie bashing thread'.  This is a topic that stands on its own, and is a relevant item for discussion.

Just now, 5fouls said:

I wasn't addressing your posts.  Your posts added to the discussion, which I am fine with.  My concerns were a couple of posts that specifically called this 'another Archie bashing thread'.  This is a topic that stands on its own, and is a relevant item for discussion.

Gotcha 

I think the only recruit that Archie has really missed on is Kaufman, and there’s extra focus on it because he went to Purdue. If he chose Virginia I think it would still sting, but the “recruiting is dead” fanbase probably wouldn’t have been as riled up about it. Fans point to Kaufman, Patterson, Miller, and Furst as the examples of misses, but Duncomb negates Furst completely, Patterson was always a NOVA lean, and any stretch 4 that we recruited after Kaufman was going to be a long shot anyway. IU currently only has one scholarship left anyway and has seemingly gotten 80% of their main targets so I don’t really get how people can genuinely say recruiting has slowed down at this point. IU has always needed official visits in order to get elite out of state talent, and COVID has created a landscape where most guys are either committing early to stay close to home, or prolonging their recruitments and hoping they can take official visits sometime in the not so distant future. Until IU missed on Kaufman I could not find one message that said Archie has struggled with recruiting. It just feels like an easy narrative that has recently taken off to check another box as to why Archie isn’t the guy. 

3 minutes ago, Hippopotamo said:

I think the only recruit that Archie has really missed on is Kaufman, and there’s extra focus on it because he went to Purdue. If he chose Virginia I think it would still sting, but the “recruiting is dead” fanbase probably wouldn’t have been as riled up about it. Fans point to Kaufman, Patterson, Miller, and Furst as the examples of misses, but Duncomb negates Furst completely, Patterson was always a NOVA lean, and any stretch 4 that we recruited after Kaufman was going to be a long shot anyway. IU currently only has one scholarship left anyway and has seemingly gotten 80% of their main targets so I don’t really get how people can genuinely say recruiting has slowed down at this point. IU has always needed official visits in order to get elite out of state talent, and COVID has created a landscape where most guys are either committing early to stay close to home, or prolonging their recruitments and hoping they can take official visits sometime in the not so distant future. Until IU missed on Kaufman I could not find one message that said Archie has struggled with recruiting. It just feels like an easy narrative that has recently taken off to check another box as to why Archie isn’t the guy. 

For me it goes a little deeper than that.  Presumably, we were 'in the game' with Kaufman, though I'm not convinced our position was ever as strong as it was made out to be.  But, assuming we were, it's not just that we missed out on him, it's that we don't seem to be 'in the game' with any other high profile recruits.  The narrative going forward could be 'Archie has not recently missed out on any high profile recruits, simply because Archie was not ever in the game with any high profile recruits'.

Maybe he's okay with that.  Maybe he likes the team he has now and thinks he can afford to wait another year to fill in some holes.  But, by all appearances, we are not actively involved with anyone else in the 2021 class.  And, we don't seem to have any significant momentum with any of the high profile 2022 kids.  It truly is 'crickets' right now.

49 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

For me it goes a little deeper than that.  Presumably, we were 'in the game' with Kaufman, though I'm not convinced our position was ever as strong as it was made out to be.  But, assuming we were, it's not just that we missed out on him, it's that we don't seem to be 'in the game' with any other high profile recruits.  The narrative going forward could be 'Archie has not recently missed out on any high profile recruits, simply because Archie was not ever in the game with any high profile recruits'.

Maybe he's okay with that.  Maybe he likes the team he has now and thinks he can afford to wait another year to fill in some holes.  But, by all appearances, we are not actively involved with anyone else in the 2021 class.  And, we don't seem to have any significant momentum with any of the high profile 2022 kids.  It truly is 'crickets' right now.

I mean only 19 of the top 100 in 2022 have committed. I get that doesn’t tell the whole story but it’s a weird recruiting year. It looks like we’re about to get CJ Gunn which I’m pretty excited about, and it’s hard to forecast potential scholarship availability with everyone getting an extra year of eligibility. 

11 minutes ago, Hippopotamo said:

I mean only 19 of the top 100 in 2022 have committed. I get that doesn’t tell the whole story but it’s a weird recruiting year. It looks like we’re about to get CJ Gunn which I’m pretty excited about, and it’s hard to forecast potential scholarship availability with everyone getting an extra year of eligibility. 

Valid points.  

Archived