Short Bench Tonight?

Bustout

7 minutes ago, Hippopotamo said:

It’s obviously going to be Rob. He’s our best on ball defender. 

Rob....6 0” Rob Phinisee on 6 6” Ayo Dosunmu?!!! You got to be crazy...and if your right Archie is crazy. AD just scored over Armaan at will last time and Rob is suppose to guard him?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Hippopotamo said:

It’s obviously going to be Rob. He’s our best on ball defender. 

Maybe...5 inches is a lot to give up to a guy like Dosunmu, especially as good as he is at going to the hoop.

I'd think Armaan, even with the ankle unless his lack of mobility just won't allow it. Al can't handle him. 

I'd say maybe a couple of the new kids may get their chances.

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

Maybe...5 inches is a lot to give up to a guy like Dosunmu, especially as good as he is at going to the hoop.

I'd think Armaan, even with the ankle unless his lack of mobility just won't allow it. Al can't handle him. 

I think Rob is closer to 5 11” then 6 1” but I thought the point of this thread was Armaan and Galloway are out? So option A and B for guarding Ayo. I think you have to think zone.

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I think it will be Geronimo on Ayo and Cockburn :coffee:

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I think Rob is closer to 5 11” then 6 1” but I thought the point of this thread was Armaan and Galloway are out? So option A and B for guarding Ayo. I think you have to think zone.

Regardless, I don't think a definitive decision has been made yet on Trey or Armaan according to what I read on TDH. 

And I'm not sure what you think would be the benefits of a zone. We're a man to man, packline team. We just have to execute the defensive game plan.

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Regardless, I don't think a definitive decision has been made yet on Trey or Armaan according to what I read on TDH. 

And I'm not sure what you think would be the benefits of a zone. We're a man to man, packline team. We just have to execute the defensive game plan.

I think you want to force Ayo and Illinois to beat you from 3. I don’t think we have anyone that can keep him out of the paint one on one and from finishing over him. By having us in a zone it puts everyone in help defense all the time and eliminates Illinois from isolating and taking advantage of the spacing for one on one. Just my opinion...with our two better on ball defenders with size to guard him out...I don’t want to see the rest of this team including freshman trying to play man to man. Who knows. Maybe we put Geronimo on him and it all works out....I just don’t like seeing a bunch of young guys like Leal, Lander, and poor defenders like Hunter trying to guard man at the same time. Too many break downs. 

5 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I think you want to force Ayo and Illinois to beat you from 3. I don’t think we have anyone that can keep him out of the paint one on one and from finishing over him. By having us in a zone it puts everyone in help defense all the time and eliminates Illinois from isolating and taking advantage of the spacing for one on one. Just my opinion...with our two better on ball defenders with size to guard him out...I don’t want to see the rest of this team including freshman trying to play man to man. Who knows. Maybe we put Geronimo on him and it all works out....I just don’t like seeing a bunch of young guys like Leal, Lander, and poor defenders like Hunter trying to guard man at the same time. Too many break downs. 

I'm just not a big believer in gimmicks. Comes a time when you have to trust the players you have, nut up, and go mano y mano. I'd actually be less surprised to see Archie show up in a pair of capri pants than I would be if we played zone.

48 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Leal?

That is a tough task but he has the size.  With the guys we have out, we are going to have to go deeper into the bench.

3 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I'm just not a big believer in gimmicks. Comes a time when you have to trust the players you have, nut up, and go mano y mano. I'd actually be less surprised to see Archie show up in a pair of capri pants than I would be if we played zone.

Heard Fisch say they are gonna play a pack zone and Archie has painted his finger nails.

57 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

have we ever heard any announcements of what the bad news is for sure?  have we heard either guy is definitely out?  i'm guessing Galloway is for sure.  

Miller on Monday:

“Trey has started to kind of move back into starting to do a little bit more,” Miller said. “Did the most he’s done today (Monday) since we actually played in the Purdue game, when he got injured, and we’ll see how he feels tomorrow. But if he has a decent feel tomorrow, and goes through shootaround — he’s starting to work his way back into the team routine, which is good.”

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/iu-basketball-starters-franklin-and-galloway-still-hobbled-with-major-perimeter-test-coming-against-illinois/

Sounds like Galloway is a game time decision.

1 hour ago, NCHoosier32 said:

have we ever heard any announcements of what the bad news is for sure?  have we heard either guy is definitely out?  i'm guessing Galloway is for sure.  

I haven’t seen anything definitive.  Where I read it, it said we should know by game time ... so possibly it was in reference to Trey or Armaan.   It also said he’s known since last Weds.  so I dunno. 

5 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Zone defense is hardly a gimmick. Given the pack line is kind of a hybrid man/zone it isn’t far fetched. That said I too would be shocked...We haven’t seen Archie change things up much.

11 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Zone defense is hardly a gimmick. Given the pack line is kind of a hybrid man/zone it isn’t far fetched. That said I too would be shocked...We haven’t seen Archie change things up much.

Sometimes you've just gotta take the things you've practiced all year and just trust that you can execute and compete. The Illini aren't supermen. We hung with them pretty well last time in Champaign. 

Our kids will be ready to play. If we play like we can, we'll win, simple as that...

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I would not call the pack line or zone defense as gimmick.  The things I would call a gimmick is like a box in one or triangle in two.  Also being a pressing team the whole game would be a gimmick

To me a "gimmick" is a team doing things outside of what they normally do...like this team playing a zone...

Archived