Illinois post game

Dear Diary,

I was more frustrated last night than I typically am. Usually I sleep it off before i post on the post game thread, but I’m still just as frustrated this morning. I almost would’ve felt better if we lost by 20 than to go through this ‘deja vu’ again. 

Nobody wanted the ball at the end of the game last night, and it just seems that this morning we’re hearing the death rattle for this season. Another season we’re plagued with all the same problems. A team that should be labeled ‘the shoulda, woulda, couldas’. We shoulda beat beat Wisconsin if it weren’t for the officials. We woulda beat Illinois if we hit one more free throw. We coulda had 4 less losses if we just found a way to win these close games. 

Well guess what? Hypotheticals no longer bring me comfort. This is a trend and not a series of flukes. The team has talent but they play scared. They don’t crave the moment; they shy away from it. Not trying to be dramatic, but this morning I think I moved past the ‘this is fixable’ stage. 

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was wondering about what we did, as a team, over the extended break?

For some reason, I saw a lot of "tired legs." I was particularly struck by Leal and Geronimo, two guys that usually bring an energy to the floor when they're out there. They just didn't seem to have it last night. Did we over practice?

Rob was a victim of the way the game was called last night. Seems like the interior guys could be physical, but there were a lot of hand check calls on the perimeter. I know Khristian got called for 2 of them right in a row. Rob's an excellent on the ball defender, but he does like to "body" his man and the refs (who were terrible both ways fwiw) simply weren't allowing it.

We definitely let this one slip through our fingers. I was worried at the beginning of the 2nd half that not building on the 7 point HT lead would come back to haunt us, especially after Illinois gave us chance after chance to expand the lead.

And I know Khristian made some bad defensive plays on Frazier at the end, but he was still our best guard not named Armaan Franklin last night. He's got to be out there. Al and Rob just aren't playing well right now, and we need the guard play. 

Bring on the Hawkeyes...

I’m in the “Scott camp” in that I watched the game and always watch every game.
That being said, I share the sentiment of those that basically are saying they have become apathetic. We lost to a top ranked team we had on the ropes and my reaction was just “oh well” because it really doesn’t matter to me as a win probably just means the difference between finishing 8th or so in the Big Ten vs finishing 10-11th. Year 4 and being a top three Big Ten team seems like a pipe dream.  When Archie was hired who here would have thought Crean’s last 6 years with 3 sweet sixteens were, relatively speaking, the glory years...LOL.  At this point I miss winning the BT, sweet 16’s and high in-season rankings. 

Seemed pretty clear to me last night that we have two issues: (1) a lack of leadership from our upperclassmen guards and (2) once again, not being able to put the ball in the hole from 15 feet away with no one guarding us, aka FTs. The first problem manifested in multiple ways - not only are we not getting the leadership and production needed, but we're playing a freshman who should be in high school, who played pretty well but completely lost his mind for 60 seconds on the defensive end.

I join the rest of you in not really knowing what to think about CAM. Where does the fault lie with FT shooting? Where does the fault lie with the lack of leadership on the court? In the end, the buck stops with the coach.

As frustrating as the end result can be, I still like watching this team. It's enjoyable watching a lineup with 4 freshman playing well together. He was fairly quiet last night, but I feel like AF is going to blossom into a terrific player. When we're playing well, we can completely lock teams down on the defensive end. There are a lot of positives to be noted, they just aren't translating into Ws.

But, yeah, this moral victory stuff is getting really, really old, and last night was just a bad loss, period. 

46 minutes ago, jefftheref said:

Is this show about our basketball team?

Per Fundamentals' island reference, I thought of Lost because the show took place on a mysterious island.  And, yes, I did consider the title of the show to reference an interesting connection to the current situation.  

What a brutal game to watch. Refs were determined to make themselves the story right out of the gate with the ridiculous T on Frazier. Found out after the game he said "Cash!" after making that shot. That's a tech? Incredible. And the calls to foul out out Giorgi and Ayo were ridiculous. A bunch of bad calls the other way too. Between all the fouls and the clock issues, probably one of the least enjoyable games I've ever seen. 

so Hunter was a coaches decision.  Is the kid just not focusing on ball?  How can you go from earning the "gold" jersey and two weeks later being listed as a DNP due to a coaches decision.  And on top of that only 33 days left in the regular season.  Will we see Hunter sooner rather than later?

Can we have Coach Allen become the next basketball head coach?  The whole LEO mantra hasn't made its way into the Hall yet, it's stuck only on the field.  

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

Did not watch 1 second woke up 3am checked the score said same old stuff.  Back to bed slept well. So accustomed to it that my heart rate did not raise and not concerned enough to find out how we blew. Being an IU men's basketball fan sucks. With each passing day less and less emotion tied to the program. 

1 hour ago, 68Hoosier said:

Same here.   I went to bed knowing we were playing and it didn't even bother me.  Woke up and check to see the OT loss and said oh well.  Not sure what the issue is with IUBB but man it has been a long dry spell.   

Not naming names, but there are some prominent posters here that would say you guys are not true IU BBall fans....

Just sayin'

10 minutes ago, BruceDouglas said:

What a brutal game to watch. Refs were determined to make themselves the story right out of the gate with the ridiculous T on Frazier. Found out after the game he said "Cash!" after making that shot. That's a tech? Incredible. And the calls to foul out out Giorgi and Ayo were ridiculous. A bunch of bad calls the other way too. Between all the fouls and the clock issues, probably one of the least enjoyable games I've ever seen. 

You left off the worst part of it all.  Dakich was on the call.  The best 45 seconds of the game is when his mic went out.  

2 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Not naming names, but there are some prominent posters here that would say you guys are not true IU BBall fans....

Just sayin'

If the shoe fits i will wear it. It is what it is, I don't like that it's come to this but it has. On the list of things that bring ME enjoyment Indiana Basketball  unfortunately is not very high on that list

Worst overtime performance I have ever seen. What offense were we running? I mean seriously. Let's have the best player on our team last night just stand in a corner till the shot clock expires. Armaan needed the ball in his hands.

Also....TJD's stat line may look good but God was he soft for 90% of the game. What is his deal? He's no pro. That I am certain of.

The fact that we played like that in OT with Illinois best player being out showed me all I need to know about this team. No heart, no hustle, no pride, and NO CLUE how to run an offense. This team is just not good. Period.

16 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Just sayin'

I'd like to see you justify that statement...You seem to want to stir the pot on this...

I personally have never dictated to ANY fan on this board how they should feel or questioned their "fandom" for lack of a better term. 

But I don't want how I view the games/team/progress of the program constantly called into question either...

As I said, if it affected me as greatly as it seems to some people, I simply wouldn't watch...

But, it doesn't...It's a game...I've seen IU lose a game or 2 in my day...It's not the end of the world...

Just frustrated how close and in some cases how far away we are. This 9-8 team is very close to being 12-5, ranked in top 25 with wins vs Iowa, Wiscy, Illinois, and Florida St. On the flip side close wins vs a couple other teams could have this team be 7-10 too.

Don't have much to add besides what's already been said. Just tired and frustrated. With that said I'll lose for a few more hours and get ready for Iowa because that's all we can do. Great thing about this league. You have chances for redemption every game. 

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

Just frustrated how close and in some cases how far away we are. This 9-8 team is very close to being 12-5, ranked in top 25 with wins vs Iowa, Wiscy, Illinois, and Florida St. On the flip side close wins vs a couple other teams could have this team be 7-10 too.

Don't have much to add besides what's already been said. Just tired and frustrated. With that said I'll lose for a few more hours and get ready for Iowa because that's all we can do. Great thing about this league. You have chances for redemption every game. 

Yup.  I personally think this team is closer than they are further away.  

The reality is, IUs best players right now are freshman, sophomores, and Race.   That’s it.   No upperclass consistently contributing.  

I realize a lot of that falls on Archie and he’ll get the blame, but Al and Rob just aren’t good enough.   

I still think this team is a force next year if TJD comes back.  But like you said, focus on Iowa now.  That’s all they can do.   We’re all frustrated out of our minds, but outside of a few games, IUs doors aren’t getting blown off and as the year goes on, the freshman and sophomores are the best players here.    Should bode well for the future.    

41 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Per Fundamentals' island reference, I thought of Lost because the show took place on a mysterious island.  And, yes, I did consider the title of the show to reference an interesting connection to the current situation.  

I actually liked the show. It reminded me of Gilligan's Island only a little more upscale. Lol

Just now, Bustout said:

Yup.  I personally think this team is closer than they are further away.  

The reality is, IUs best players right now are freshman, sophomores, and Race.   That’s it.   No upperclass consistently contributing.  

I realize a lot of that falls on Archie and he’ll get the blame, but Al and Rob just aren’t good enough.   

I still think this team is a force next year if TJD comes back.  But like you said, focus on Iowa now.  That’s all they can do.   We’re all frustrated out of our minds, but outside of a few games, IUs doors aren’t getting blown off and as the year goes on, the freshman and sophomores are the best players here.    Should bode well for the future.    

Yep....and I find myself doing this too. I know we are young....but I also know IU has been asking us fans to be patient for 15-20 years and a % of the fanbase is tired of being patient. Myself included sometimes. 

I'll save the off season talk for off season but very, very busy transfer off season coming. Depending on who returns, allowed to return....you could have as many as 5 available players coming in. 

26 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

Just going to leave this here ...

RP 0 points, 0 rebounds, 0 assists, 5 fouls.

Seriously, WTH?

I read on another forum that he and Durham did not score a field goal for around the last 41 minutes of the game (including OT).  Good luck winning anything with that kind of production out of your starting Junior and Senior guards.

44 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

so Hunter was a coaches decision.  Is the kid just not focusing on ball?  How can you go from earning the "gold" jersey and two weeks later being listed as a DNP due to a coaches decision.  And on top of that only 33 days left in the regular season.  Will we see Hunter sooner rather than later?

Can we have Coach Allen become the next basketball head coach?  The whole LEO mantra hasn't made its way into the Hall yet, it's stuck only on the field.  

That’s a nice way of saying he’s suspended. 

Archived