Illinois post game

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I see both points of view.  I don’t think either side is wrong.  I like to spend time with my wife and children.  It’s tough to just block out three hours (lol - last night anyway) to watch ball.  It’s not like college where’d I’d stay up until 3 am watching the Alaska shootout even without IU.  Last night we were all in the same room doing our own thing and that was fine but I can’t always do that.  

I fully support the folks who don’t watch all the games because they are unhappy with where we are, and the ones who do.  I think it comes down to everyone’s own circumstance and this isn’t something that can be judged by anyone else.  

We have a great group of guys here.  I think everyone understands it’s just a game.  I get upset, we all do but within normal reason.  It’s an outlet for whatever feelings people have but I think 99% of us have good perspective.  For me it’s an outlet because I love IU and my home state and it brings it all back to me.  I grew up watching smart basketball and that’s what I think about most about Indiana.  That’s what I want.  I’ve got the three titles that I experienced in real time in my back pocket and that is part of how I carry myself as a fan.  But we are all different, and it’s not valid IMO to judge someone else’s feelings.  

I think even us guys who can see positives are upset and unhappy with where this program is at this time.  I am 50 years old and been a fan since birth so no matter how bad it gets I still will support the team.  Is it as fun as it was in the 80's and 90's no not even close but I still love watching IU basketball and college basketball in general.  Right now I am unemployed and both of my kids are out of the house so I don't have much else going on so it is easy for me to watch.  If people don't want to watch that is fine but to say you don't care is not true.  If you truly didn't care you wouldn't spend your time on here complaining about the team.

16 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I decided to watch last few minutes and OT this morning and just heard DD say something that I was thinking as well but I will take a step further. Last night late in the game AF got the ball at top of key drove to basket scored to tie game. In OT AF spent most of the time in the corner??? RL could and did score at will when he got the ball at top of key. GREAT finisher but for some reason he spent a lot of time in the corner.  Do you think these guys just run there and hide on their own or maybe just maybe for a reason that I just don't see they are told to go there. I don't claim to be a great coach but come on. Get you best player the ball in places they can score. It's a coach's job to put your players in best possible position to be successful.  For the life of me I just dont get it!!

I agree and there were several of us exhorting the strategy you laid out in the game thread.  Durham at top just cannot break down a defense.  Franklin is better capable of doing that.  If you get down hill, you have optionality and the range of good things that could happen multiply dramatically.   I respect Durham but I just think it’s ugly watching him try to create.  He’s not athletic enough for that and his skill set doesn’t warrant it either.  For example, his handle just isn’t tight enough.  

9 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

What goes into the Luck factor

Difference between record and expected record. So based on how we've played we would have been expected to win more games than we have. Also why we are ranked higher on kenpom than our record would indicate. 

Officially: Luck, which is the deviation in winning percentage between a team’s actual record and their expected record using the correlated gaussian method

Gas GIFs | Tenor

8 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I decided to watch last few minutes and OT this morning and just heard DD say something that I was thinking as well but I will take a step further. Last night late in the game AF got the ball at top of key drove to basket scored to tie game. In OT AF spent most of the time in the corner??? RL could and did score at will when he got the ball at top of key. GREAT finisher but for some reason he spent a lot of time in the corner.  Do you think these guys just run there and hide on their own or maybe just maybe for a reason that I just don't see they are told to go there. I don't claim to be a great coach but come on. Get you best player the ball in places they can score. It's a coach's job to put your players in best possible position to be successful.  For the life of me I just dont get it!!

My guess is the intention of being in the corner is an outlet for TJD if he goes to bucket or if someone drives and kicks ... all for if/when the defense collapses.  Total guess. 

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I think even us guys who can see positives are upset and unhappy with where this program is at this time.  I am 50 years old and been a fan since birth so no matter how bad it gets I still will support the team.  Is it as fun as it was in the 80's and 90's no not even close but I still love watching IU basketball and college basketball in general.  Right now I am unemployed and both of my kids are out of the house so I don't have much else going on so it is easy for me to watch.  If people don't want to watch that is fine but to say you don't care is not true.  If you truly didn't care you wouldn't spend your time on here complaining about the team.

I LOVE INDIANA BASKETBALL.  I don't like what I see, where the program is or where it is headed.i care deeply and that's why I complain.  What I don't CARE for is watching this product.  Pretty easy to understand 

3 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I agree and there were several of us exhorting the strategy you laid out in the game thread.  Durham at top just cannot break down a defense.  Franklin is better capable of doing that.  If you get down hill, you have optionality and the range of good things that could happen multiply dramatically.   I respect Durham but I just think it’s ugly watching him try to create.  He’s not athletic enough for that and his skill set doesn’t warrant it either.  

If you myself and others see it so clearly a coaching savant like CAM must know something us hacks dont

7 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

And possibly to unclog the lane to give TJD room to operate.  

Or just stand in the corner and do nothing and have arguably your best defender the farthest away after we.miss a shot. 

Add this too. IIRC,  AF was in right hand corner mostly so that even takes away 1 driving opportunity.  

I think we all need to understand that everyone has a different way of handling their frustration. 

If someone chooses to prioritize something else over watching an IU game, that does not make them a 'bandwagon' fan.

By the same token, if someone believes in Archie and sees hope at the end of the tunnel, that does not make them unrealistic.

Whether you yell at your tv, type angry thoughts here, or silently suffer, we are all IU fans. We come from different backgrounds and we have different sets of expectations.  We all have a different set of priorities beyond IU basketball.  But, we are all fans in one way or another.

Please, please stop the posts that question or imply something negative about someone's level of fandom.

9 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I think we all need to understand that everyone has a different way of handling their frustration. 

If someone chooses to prioritize something else over watching an IU game, that does not make them a 'bandwagon' fan.

By the same token, if someone believes in Archie and sees hope at the end of the tunnel, that does not make them unrealistic.

Whether you yell at your tv, type angry thoughts here, or silently suffer, we are all IU fans. We come from different backgrounds and we have different sets of expectations.  We all have a different set of priorities beyond IU basketball.  But, we are all fans in one way or another.

Please, please stop the posts that question or imply something negative about someone's level of fandom.

No real fan would have typed this message. 

30 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

If you myself and others see it so clearly a coaching savant like CAM must know something us hacks dont

Of course he does. He's a professional coach. He didn't ride into town on the turnip truck.

I respect you @Billingsley99... A lot... But to say any of us understand the game of basketball and the intricacies of the game like even a lower level college coach would, just staggers me.

I understand people don't think he's the right guy for IU, and that's fine. But he does know the game way better than anyone on a message board.

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

Of course he does. He's a professional coach. He didn't ride into town on the turnip truck.

I respect you @Billingsley99... A lot... But to say any of us understand the game of basketball and the intricacies of the game like even a lower level college coach would, just staggers me.

I understand people don't think he's the right guy for IU, and that's fine. But he does know the game way better than anyone on a message board.

Of course he knows more my comnent was sarcasm but it still does not excuse putting your best player at getting to the rim in the corner.  Apparently that's his belief and philosophy and I and others disagree. RMK was not a great coach because he made things over complicated.  I think some coaches try to outsmart everyone instead of just do what it takes. If I thought I knew more that CAM I would be getting my resume ready because in a year there will be an opening.  If something is so blatant that I can see it that DD can see it and most on here can see it, either its too far advanced for us to understand or it just does not make sense. Either way it's still not working.  Didn't for RL or AF

Archived