Illinois post game

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

I would love to see TJD out working on better post moves

Does that include those 15-18 foot mid range jumpers that he doesn't take.  I wish both he and Race would start taking those.  Race hit a shot from around the FT line but had to think twice before he took it.  IMO, if TJD started taking some off those and making them,  he could drive by a lot of the bigs that defend him because they would have to repsect that shot. 

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

Or just stand in the corner and do nothing and have arguably your best defender the farthest away after we.miss a shot. 

Add this too. IIRC,  AF was in right hand corner mostly so that even takes away 1 driving opportunity.  

This was the first red flag for me, a couple of years ago with Romeo.  We talked about it at length in real time.  I wanted Romeo empowered.  I wanted him at the top not on the wing.  I wanted him to create and take advantage of optionality.  

I was reminded of how Knight at times would put Isiah off the ball and let someone else run point.  I saw an interview with Thomas after his career was over saying he didn’t understand it at the time but he later realized it was better for the team and his development.  This is now the inverse of that.  Knight figured things like that out.  As another example, he’d invert Bailey and a bigger guy because Bailey could go to work posting up.   There are matchups to exploit and it’s not always as rigid as we see now.

Empowering Romeo and Franklin at the top to take advantage of their ability to get downhill and take advantage of optionality from their creativity IMO would have been a good adjustment.  I doubt we lose 12 or 13 if we were creative.  This is the type of thing where you worry that Archie lacks that spark that top coaches have.  

9 minutes ago, ATX_sig said:

Does that include those 15-18 foot mid range jumpers that he doesn't take.  I wish both he and Race would start taking those.  Race hit a shot from around the FT line but had to think twice before he took it.  IMO, if TJD started taking some off those and making them,  he could drive by a lot of the bigs that defend him because they would have to repsect that shot. 

TJD shot at least 4 15 footers last night hitting 2.  He needs to learn how to play with his back to the basket and don't mean just trying to back his defender all the way to the basket.  He needs to watch film of Ologuwaun and McHale tapes to learn post moves.

12 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I found the connection between the information in the link and IU hoops.......The shot in this image has absolutely no chance of going in.  :coffee:

Image titled Play Basketball Step 3

The free throw thing is crazy. I told my wife I could hit 7 out of ten right then and there and I’m not playing now and am over 50.  I could do it in my socks.  I use my knees to bend and take the upper momentum to create repetitive motion.  It works.  Our guys seem stiff.  

Tangent but when I met my wife I told her I could shoot.  She’s not a basketball fan at all.  We were at a gym alone and I started shooting.  I hit 7 of my first ten threes from different spots around the arc.  It’s like when Fonzie beat up and guy once and then had that reputation.  LOL

1 minute ago, BobSaccamanno said:

This was the first red flag for me, a couple of years ago with Romeo.  We talked about it at length in real time.  I wanted Romeo empowered.  I wanted him at the top not on the side.  I wanted him to create and take advantage of optionality.  

I was reminded of how Knight at times would put Isiah off the ball and let someone else run point.  I saw an interview with Thomas after his career was over saying he didn’t understand it at the time but he later realized it was better for the team and his development.  

Empowering Romeo and Franklin at the top to take advantage of their ability to get downhill and take advantage of optionality from their creativity IMO would have been a good adjustment.  I doubt we lose 12 or 13 if we were creative.  This is the type of thing where you worry that Archie lacks that spark that top coaches have.  

To me this is the the problem with offenses in college basketball where you have guys just standing aorund the 3 point line.  It depends on guys who can take guys off the dribble to force help to get guys open.  to me it is to easy to defend and when you face teams who can defend you don't get guys open.  I never understand an offense that just stands around because it is better to have player movement and guys coming off screens.  The ball moves faster by the pass than the dribble so I hate how much we see guys just dribbling out top for 12 seconds.

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

To me this is the the problem with offenses in college basketball where you have guys just standing aorund the 3 point line.  It depends on guys who can take guys off the dribble to force help to get guys open.  to me it is to easy to defend and when you face teams who can defend you don't get guys open.  I never understand an offense that just stands around because it is better to have player movement and guys coming off screens.  The ball moves faster by the pass than the dribble so I hate how much we see guys just dribbling out top for 12 seconds.

I think movement is crucial.  It’s when offense becomes beautiful to watch. You get relentless with it, and it’s tough for the D.  You invariably get a good shot, maybe not initially but eventually the D is likely to get a step behind which can be enough.   

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Rob Riley, Lewis Garrison, and Kelly Pfeifer should never be allowed to officiate together ever again. Funny thing is I don't remember seeing them or hearing their names before but when the first comments on ESPN Sportscenter discuss not the game but number of fouls....it's bad for the Big 10.

Was joking earlier with a few of my Illini friends. The game became almost unbearable to watch. 

Garrison was the ref that Kofi accidentally knocked out of a game last year while celebrating a hoop. Maybe he was just getting his revenge by calling such a crappy game?

14 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I think movement is crucial.  It’s when offense becomes beautiful to watch. You get relentless with it, and it’s tough for the D.  You invariably get a good shot, maybe not initially but eventually the D is likely to get a step behind which can be enough.   

If you make the defenders the to run through screens all night they will wear down

Just now, IU Scott said:

If you make the defenders the to run through screens all night they will wear down

I can tell you that teaching guys to screen is the hardest part of coaching at a high level. The high school coaches are not doing it. That's why we see less and less. If you do it correctly it's hard to teach but is so worth it. The college coaches don't get enough time to work on "little " things and most kids want bo part of being a screener.  You and I know that guys that guarded Alford were ready for the game to be over after trying all night to avoid screens

7 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I can tell you that teaching guys to screen is the hardest part of coaching at a high level. The high school coaches are not doing it. That's why we see less and less. If you do it correctly it's hard to teach but is so worth it. The college coaches don't get enough time to work on "little " things and most kids want bo part of being a screener.  You and I know that guys that guarded Alford were ready for the game to be over after trying all night to avoid screens

I just can't see how these college coaches think this style of offense is best way for productive offense.

My 2 comments...

Its tough to win when only 3 players make more than 2 baskets in a (45 minute) game. Where are our guards? Seems like on any given night, we might get 1 to show up. We could have, should have won.

Lastly, I know it's only 1 game but that game had to be a huge boost for Race T. We have seen him have a good game before only to disappear the next but in a game where TJD was largely neutralized in the paint, Race was attacking. I'm not expecting that performance every night but I think he could, should consistently get us 10 ppg, 

52 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Of course he knows more my comnent was sarcasm but it still does not excuse putting your best player at getting to the rim in the corner.  Apparently that's his belief and philosophy and I and others disagree. RMK was not a great coach because he made things over complicated.  I think some coaches try to outsmart everyone instead of just do what it takes. If I thought I knew more that CAM I would be getting my resume ready because in a year there will be an opening.  If something is so blatant that I can see it that DD can see it and most on here can see it, either its too far advanced for us to understand or it just does not make sense. Either way it's still not working.  Didn't for RL or AF

DD had his crack at coaching a D1 program and he certainly didn't set the world on fire...

But I think @BobSaccamanno has it right...They're trying to work to the inside...Keeping guys in the corner keeps the help D away...or at least that would be my guess...

AF's mobility is still compromised...I know he played last night, and he played fairly well, but you can tell his cutting isn't as sharp, and he labors getting into the lane. It's a shame, because I thought when he initially hurt the ankle, he was on his way to being "our guy" that we can count on at the end of the game (and he actually did get the tying bucket in regulation)...

Still, no one has answered why Anthony and Jordan looked so leg tired last night...They just weren't in the game at all...Anthony's only shot was a corner airball...neither one looked really ready to play...

As for an opening next year...we'll see...I will say this, if we're still jockeying for middle of the pack status at this time next year, I'll probably be asking for lone of a torch (I have pitchforks)...

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

DD had his crack at coaching a D1 program and he certainly didn't set the world on fire...

But I think @BobSaccamanno has it right...They're trying to work to the inside...Keeping guys in the corner keeps the help D away...or at least that would be my guess...

AF's mobility is still compromised...I know he played last night, and he played fairly well, but you can tell his cutting isn't as sharp, and he labors getting into the lane. It's a shame, because I thought when he initially hurt the ankle, he was on his way to being "our guy" that we can count on at the end of the game (and he actually did get the tying bucket in regulation)...

Still, no one has answered why Anthony and Jordan looked so leg tired last night...They just weren't in the game at all...Anthony's only shot was a corner airball...neither one looked really ready to play...

As for an opening next year...we'll see...I will say this, if we're still jockeying for middle of the pack status at this time next year, I'll probably be asking for lone of a torch (I have pitchforks)...

Your patience is well considered and may very well be the right call.  There are some good things happening if you look under the hood.  I think we have “second division” starting guards.  When we have even adequate play from the guards, we invariably play well.  

2 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Regarding Lander, we had a really good look at the 3 three-bombs he gave up because they were right in front of the camera.  The floor was stacked on the other side and I saw in real time that Lander was aware of Frazier but was sagging off to help.  He overdid it.  After he gave up one, I thought comfortably he’d learn the lesson but he didn’t.  Letting it happen multiple times is just not good.  Maybe we needed a time out there.  That was a backbreaking stretch.

Regardless, I thought Lander showed why he was an elite recruit.  Dynamic athlete, gets downhill and creates with vision, and importantly he is an excellent  passer.  He hit a couple of threes.  I think with any luck at all, his improvement goes parabolic between now and November.   I really like him as a player to the point that I’m probably biased.  

After the first Frazier 3 pulled them to within 3, I think, I was thinking CAM should have called a TO.

It was nice to get a better look at Lander. He has improved and will continue to do so. He missed out on a couple assists when he first came in because we missed an open 3 and Race got fouled inside but could not convert. He sees the floor better than anyone in recent memory.

52 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

TJD shot at least 4 15 footers last night hitting 2.  He needs to learn how to play with his back to the basket and don't mean just trying to back his defender all the way to the basket.  He needs to watch film of Ologuwaun and McHale tapes to learn post moves.

image.png.639c06e41a7394b9090be93fdf350235.png

4 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I agree and there were several of us exhorting the strategy you laid out in the game thread.  Durham at top just cannot break down a defense.  Franklin is better capable of doing that.  If you get down hill, you have optionality and the range of good things that could happen multiply dramatically.   I respect Durham but I just think it’s ugly watching him try to create.  He’s not athletic enough for that and his skill set doesn’t warrant it either.  For example, his handle just isn’t tight enough.  

Here's my problem with Al, pretty much every game. He'll hit a couple of threes early, then never even look to take another one unless he's WIDE OPEN, even then he hesitates. Both Rob and Al seem to be afraid of missing when they should be cherishing the big make (take). I'd rather see them missing some (especially after making a couple) than not even looking to take them. Catch and shoot. Watch Gutyon or Yogi highlights, they don't hesitate. They catch and shoot. Al doesn't look to shoot, he'll just put his head down and barrel into a crowd (caused by teams not respecting our shooting) and hopes for a call. Big Ten officials might give you the call 10 minutes into the game, but not under two. He also needs to dish more when he drives. It seems like 9/10 when he drives he's going to shoot no matter what. He had Lander wide open on the baseline last night. He got the call, but it's just easier to defend. He's also driving from the top of the lane which allows everyone's guy to collapse in the middle. You have to make them pay and hit the open guys on the wing etc. Rob had the worst game I have seen in a long time. Not sure what's going on with him. He seems to get rattled by his own bad play. It looked like Archie was barking at him when he fouled out.

2 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Your patience is well considered and may very well be the right call.  There are some good things happening if you look under the hood.  I think we have “second division” starting guards.  When we have even adequate play from the guards, we invariably play well.  

I've been saying for 2 years as long as Al Durham is starting at guard, we were going to be B1G middle of the pack at best. Nothing against Al, but he's just not skilled enough to be a starting B1G guard.

I had higher hopes for Rob. I thought with his strength and athleticism, he'd be a better rim attacker, but he's so laser focused on getting the shot off, he never looks to pass. He's stagnated. I know I preach about Bardo and his opinion of Rob, but I see the same things...

I think that's why an emerging Khristian Lander excites me so much. He's going to be a really good one. The more his confidence grows, the better off we're going to be...

I can sincerely see a backcourt of Lander, Stewart, and Franklin being one of the strongest in the B1G next year. If TJD sticks around for next year (and I personally don't think he's NBA ready yet) Race remains a steady influence, and we get improvement from the other 3 freshmen I see us easily being in the conversation for a B1G Championship and beyond...

I said it in the game thread.  Any team that cannot score during an entire five minute overtime (except once after the outcome was decided) does not deserve to win a game.  Why archie did not just give the ball to Franklin and let him do something is beyond me.

2 hours ago, IUguy said:

I said it in the game thread.  Any team that cannot score during an entire five minute overtime (except once after the outcome was decided) does not deserve to win a game.  Why archie did not just give the ball to Franklin and let him do something is beyond me.

It’s not Archie job to get the ball to Franklin it’s Franklins job to want it and go get the ball! 

Archived