AD Scott Dolson - What's the plan?

It's unfortunate less than six months into his new role he's being forced to start answering some tough questions regarding IU basketball and making decisions about its future: (feel free to add or revise)

1.  Do you have confidence Archie is going to turn things around anytime soon after watching four years of this non-sense, including a 64-51 overall record, 30-38 conference record, and zero NCAA tournament appearances (even though they would have likely made it last season)?

2. Does the recruiting outlook under Archie give you any sense they will be in a position to compete for a conference title in the next two seasons?

3. If you make a coaching change, can you meet the buyout option now or do you need to wait for the buyout option to lapse after next season?

4. If you make a coaching change, who can you realistically hire that would ensure a quick turnaround of the program without ending up on probation for cheating?

5. Does IU have the facilities and resources needed to be a top rated program annually? If not, what is needed?

6. Is there an element (McRobbie and others) within the program that does not want IU basketball to return to prominence? When McRobbie is gone in June will a renewed commitment to basketball be established?

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Euroclydon said:

It's unfortunate less than six months into his new role he's being forced to start answering some tough questions regarding IU basketball and making decisions about its future: (feel free to add or revise)

1.  Do you have confidence Archie is going to turn things around anytime soon after watching four years of this non-sense, including a 64-51 overall record, 30-38 conference record, and zero NCAA tournament appearances (even though they would have likely made it last season)?

2. Does the recruiting outlook under Archie give you any sense they will be in a position to compete for a conference title in the next two seasons?

3. If you make a coaching change, can you meet the buyout option now or do you need to wait for the buyout option to lapse after next season?

4. If you make a coaching change, who can you realistically hire that would ensure a quick turnaround of the program without ending up on probation for cheating?

5. Does IU have the facilities and resources needed to be a top rated program annually? If not, what is needed?

6. Is there an element (McRobbie and others) within the program that does not want IU basketball to return to prominence? When McRobbie is gone in June will a renewed commitment to basketball be established?

To bad this isn't being discussed in another 4 or 5 threads LOL!  I was thinking about e-mailing Dolson and asking some of these questions but thought better of it.

Like it or not, Archie will get one more year minimum.  A lot of experience should be coming back next year and some B1G teams will drop off a bit.  Dolson will evaluate this objectively, not emotionally like a message board contributor. 

Unless there is a sure fire, proven coach that will come, Archie will be here next season. 

Hiring a hot name like Oats just resets the clock.  Archie will have to have success next year, bottom line.  

42 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

To bad this isn't being discussed in another 4 or 5 threads LOL!  I was thinking about e-mailing Dolson and asking some of these questions but thought better of it.

You took the words right out of my mouth!  I was going to say that we need Scott to email him!

59 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

16 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

You took the words right out of my mouth!  I was going to say that we need Scott to email him!

Maybe he'll listen coming from another Scott!

I actually sent an email when there was discussion going on about whether to remove the Interim label from Davis. And, I even received a response.   I was in support of hiring him full time.  I looked like a genius for about a year.  After that, not so much.  I think I'll sit out that type of activity on this one.  Rest assured, whichever way I would support would be the wrong one.  

24 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I actually sent an email when there was discussion going on about whether to remove the Interim label from Davis. And, I even received a response.   I was in support of hiring him full time.  I looked like a genius for about a year.  After that, not so much.  I think I'll sit out that type of activity on this one.  Rest assured, whichever way I would support would be the wrong one.  

I e-mailed Glass about a week before he fired Crean telling him it was time for a change

The major donor that I’m friends with is fed up and wants a change immediately.  He doesn’t have any buildings named after him but he is friends with some that have their names on things. I still don’t think it will happen, but the buyout money would come and come rather quick and easily even this year. All it takes is them to say the money won’t be coming and changes happen fast.  I’ve given up on thinking we will see improvement and it will take more than 1-2 games to change my mind and most others that I’ve been in touch with. 

Let’s all pledge to limit our litigating whether a thread is a repeat or worthwhile - that’s a meta discussion that doesn’t add much value. If you want to comment on the merits of the post, do so. If you have a concern about repetitiveness or similar, use the report feature or PM a mod.

Again - this is a topic that will be repeated frequently. This is a message board. That is bound to happen and it’s okay. 

6 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

The major donor that I’m friends with is fed up and wants a change immediately.  He doesn’t have any buildings named after him but he is friends with some that have their names on things. I still don’t think it will happen, but the buyout money would come and come rather quick and easily even this year. All it takes is them to say the money won’t be coming and changes happen fast.  I’ve given up on thinking we will see improvement and it will take more than 1-2 games to change my mind and most others that I’ve been in touch with. 

Who would those big donors want as coach.  It is easy to say fire the coach but it is harder to say who would replace that coach.

1 hour ago, IUwins0708 said:

May I ask that this major donor come out from the shadows and start the discussion in public, personally, with full disclosure of who they are? You know, like a leader, If they are serious, put their name as their skin in the game, not a puppeteer in the shadows. If they believe in their cause it shouldn't be too hard, should it? OH, and if it's just, then maybe their friends with names on builds could also come out publicly. 

I am sure this will build confidence in anyone that could be considered for the job.

1 minute ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

May I ask that this major donor come out from the shadows and start the discussion in public, personally, with full disclosure of who they are? You know, like a leader, If they are serious, put their name as their skin in the game, not a puppeteer in the shadows. If they believe in their cause it shouldn't be too hard, should it? OH, and if it's just, then maybe their friends with names on builds could also come out publicly. 

I am sure this will build confidence in anyone that could be considered for the job.

What?

8 minutes ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

OK, it's me. I just made $1 billion trading Gamestop.  :coffee:

Image result for obnoxious rich young techies

1 minute ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

What part are you asking about? You have a major donor friend who is feed up. If this friend is so feed up, can that person (and their buddies with names on buildings) come out and show their leadership to make it happen? Did that help answer your "What?" 

I’m sure it will in due time.  Most don’t channel their feelings publicly as they can force the hand of the ADs who rely on their money coming in each year.  You’ll never hear specific names come out, or at least I doubt it.  Nobody ever heard who ran Crean out and probably never will

Here's a question for the board.  Say we miss the dance this season.  Trayce comes back not because he wants to but because he has no choice.  We finish year 5 say 3-4 in the B1G and lose in the Sweet 16. Years 6 and 7 look pretty poor on paper due to poor recruiting.   If you're Dolson what do you do?  

I honestly think that's a likely scenario and why many want a change this season as Archie could pull a Crean and do "just enough" next season. 

4 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Here's a question for the board.  Say we miss the dance this season.  Trayce comes back not because he wants to but because he has no choice.  We finish year 5 say 3-4 in the B1G and lose in the Sweet 16. Years 6 and 7 look pretty poor on paper due to poor recruiting.   If you're Dolson what do you do?  

I honestly think that's a likely scenario and why many want a change this season as Archie could pull a Crean and do "just enough" next season. 

I think he'd offer to extend the contract with a smaller buyout

12 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

I’m sure it will in due time.  Most don’t channel their feelings publicly as they can force the hand of the ADs who rely on their money coming in each year.  You’ll never hear specific names come out, or at least I doubt it.  Nobody ever heard who ran Crean out and probably never will

I get that, and yes it is always handled that way, BUT if these people honestly feel this level of conviction, shouldn't they la i tall out there? Doing it behind the scenes is pure blackmail on the AD.

IF I was the AD, I would be a Bob Knight type AD. Invert the blackmail. Put their concerns out in public view and make them own it. Then go back and do my damn job.

1 hour ago, IUwins0708 said:

Is it Jared Fogel?  :coffee:

11 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

i think it is a likely scenario as well and would think it would probably save his job.  

Archived