AD Scott Dolson - What's the plan?

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

What would happen if we got Stevens for the contract and he is just average.  Could you imagine that buyout if he doesn't succeed, LOL!

Scott, I’m sorry but that’s do-able money in this business.  It would pay for itself.  I’m not saying Brad would remotely do it.  It’s a hypothetical that if he’s willing to listen, that’s what you do.  You don’t screw around like some nerd hitting on a supermodel. Go big or go home.  

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

If we finished 3rd in the big ten and make the sweet 16 you bring him back.  It would show signs of improvement and if that is the case guys like Lander and Franklin probably had great years.  It would probably mean that the other freshman probably got better so that would be signs that the futrur eis looking better.

That is too easy of a scenario.  What if we finish 5th, win 1 game in the BTT, go into the tournament and are 1 and done or 2 and done?

That is the more likely scenario IMO.  Then the argument is going to be that the build took awhile but we are finally seeing a payoff on our investment. 

Lander/Leal/Galloway/Geronimo are all going to be Juniors and that is a decent core.  Franklin the senior.  Duncomb is a Sophomore.  You have Gunn and whoever joins him coming in along with any transfers.  On paper that is the makings of another tournament team.

So you probably extend and hope for the best there.  That is what you are pinning your hope on if you are Miller at this point.  Especially with this year looking more and more rough.

1 minute ago, IUCrazy2 said:

That is too easy of a scenario.  What if we finish 5th, win 1 game in the BTT, go into the tournament and are 1 and done or 2 and done?

That is the more likely scenario IMO.  Then the argument is going to be that the build took awhile but we are finally seeing a payoff on our investment. 

Lander/Leal/Galloway/Geronimo are all going to be Juniors and that is a decent core.  Franklin the senior.  Duncomb is a Sophomore.  You have Gunn and whoever joins him coming in along with any transfers.  On paper that is the makings of another tournament team.

So you probably extend and hope for the best there.  That is what you are pinning your hope on if you are Miller at this point.  Especially with this year looking more and more rough.

Well that is different but if the big ten is as good next year as it is today then finishing 5th is not to bad.  That is not what IU should strive for but there are other things to look at besides just the record.

14 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

How many times have we heard a coach is judged on "the body of his work", not just one or two seasons?  After next season, a full 5 years will be in the books providing a more than sufficient data set.  It depends on what the "bar" is as far as if any changes would occur.  If the standard is to be a prominent, contending program either this year and next need to be pretty good (not looking likely for this season/tournament) or next year needs to including a top 2 B10 finish and a run to the FF.  Saying 5th place is not bad is a total acceptance of mediocrity.  Now if we finish 5th and the top 4 teams all make deep runs in the tourney you might have a bit of wiggle room, but that isn't likely.  Whoever finished 3rd in the B10 in 1976 could use that excuse, I'd guess.

After last season, I decided it was put up or shut up time - no more excuses.  Period.  This season has thus far been underwhelming.  It's like going through a semester, failing every exam, then hoping to ace the final and end up with an 'A'.

I can't tell you what the big boosters are saying or not saying to Dolson or who intrigues them beyond the season. 

But what I can tell you 100% is that Dolson is well aware of Oats, has had Oats' name brought up to him by others (, and is keenly evaluating the overall situation. 

Doesn't mean that Archie is on a hot seat and doesn't mean that Oats would currently be his #1 either. Just information to stew on. 

17 minutes ago, IndySportsPartizan said:

I can't tell you what the big boosters are saying or not saying to Dolson or who intrigues them beyond the season. 

But what I can tell you 100% is that Dolson is well aware of Oats, has had Oats' name brought up to him by others (, and is keenly evaluating the overall situation. 

Doesn't mean that Archie is on a hot seat and doesn't mean that Oats would currently be his #1 either. Just information to stew on. 

This is probably for another thread, but do you think they’ll really go for another hot name again?    While each candidate has some questions, I seriously wonder if guys like Matta, Beilen, Pitino, Pearl, or Marshall would be considered?  All successful coaches with baggage (Matta was just health).    Then you have Fife, Smart, Alford, etc. for the “IU guy” crowd.   

This is all assuming Stevens, Donovan, and Beard are all extremely unrealistic.  

7 minutes ago, Bustout said:

This is probably for another thread, but do you think they’ll really go for another hot name again?    While each candidate has some questions, I seriously wonder if guys like Matta, Beilen, Pitino, Pearl, or Marshall would be considered?  All successful coaches with baggage (Matta was just health).    Then you have Fife, Smart, Alford, etc. for the “IU guy” crowd.   

This is all assuming Stevens, Donovan, and Beard are all extremely unrealistic.  

Marshall would be a great hire.  I've always thought he'd be great here.  He has baggage but the good thing is that you could probably get him cheap as I'm sure he wants to redeem himself and no other top 10 program would likely touch him.  Keep him on a short leash and make it clear that's he's gone the instant he steps out of line.  I think he'd behave and we'd win big.

2 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Marshall would be a great hire.  I've always thought he'd be great here.  He has baggage but the good thing is that you could probably get him cheap as I'm sure he wants to redeem himself and no other top 10 program would likely touch him.  Keep him on a short leash and make it clear that's he's gone the instant he steps out of line.  I think he'd behave and we'd win big.

Think I read it here, but one of the wise persons here said basically if a coach gets fired for anything other than losing, they get hired again. 

1 hour ago, Zuckerkorn said:

How many times have we heard a coach is judged on "the body of his work", not just one or two seasons?  After next season, a full 5 years will be in the books providing a more than sufficient data set.  It depends on what the "bar" is as far as if any changes would occur.  If the standard is to be a prominent, contending program either this year and next need to be pretty good (not looking likely for this season/tournament) or next year needs to including a top 2 B10 finish and a run to the FF.  Saying 5th place is not bad is a total acceptance of mediocrity.  Now if we finish 5th and the top 4 teams all make deep runs in the tourney you might have a bit of wiggle room, but that isn't likely.  Whoever finished 3rd in the B10 in 1976 could use that excuse, I'd guess.

After last season, I decided it was put up or shut up time - no more excuses.  Period.  This season has thus far been underwhelming.  It's like going through a semester, failing every exam, then hoping to ace the final and end up with an 'A'.

In 76 the 3rd place team wouldn't make the tournament since they only took 1 team per conference

39 minutes ago, IndySportsPartizan said:

Nate Oats needs 1 more year imo before I would be comfortable going after him. Which actually fits our time line better. He has fallen into a great veteran Alabama team with a lot of talent left for him. He has the programs all time leading 3pt shooter (senior) on his team. Not saying he isn’t a great coach and his formula (shoot lots of 3s and analytics) isn’t good but I need that 3rd year to judge him for sure. Certainly it won’t be hard to find 3 pt shooting in Indiana HS.

I do think someone like Scott Drew should also be a top candidate on our list given how he has performed at a non basketball program at Baylor and his connections to the state of Indiana. His model of basketball with great backcourts, long front court, shooting 3s and great defense should translate to us. Big 12 to me is closest conference to B1G there is in my opinion. Sec is just a different level of players and athletes and I prefer someone that understands the grind of the B1G.

8 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

You know he was my #1 choice last time but there is no way he will get hired.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

You know he was my #1 choice last time but there is no way he will get hired.

I don't disagree.  But he would do well here IMO and he has the street cred to keep the mob under control.  Scott Drew is the obvious choice assuming the hail mary candidates all say no.

Just now, dbmhoosier said:

I don't disagree.  But he would do well here IMO and he has the street cred to keep the mob under control.  Scott Drew is the obvious choice assuming the hail mary candidates all say no.

On Drew they would have to do some research on whether he is cheating.

17 minutes ago, Bustout said:

Think I read it here, but one of the wise persons here said basically if a coach gets fired for anything other than losing, they get hired again. 

Your not wrong but those guys aren't getting hired by IU. They don't want to take a chance on another Knight or Sampson situation. 

DeVries at Drake is a guy worth watching. But he's an Iowa guy all the way. Will probably be the next IA ST coach. I haven't seen Drake play at all, so have no thoughts on style (but probably Creighton-esque). He's re-built the roster with transfers, so I like that. Now 17-0 this season, but a weak schedule.

Was a long-time assistant at Creighton. Only his third year as a head coach, so a jump to IU would be a big one.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/college/drake/drake-bulldogs/2021/01/29/drake-bulldogs-coach-darian-devries-contract-renegotiation-keno-davis-providence-mvc-tucker-devries/4274304001/

https://godrakebulldogs.com/coaches.aspx?rc=928

12 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Your not wrong but those guys aren't getting hired by IU. They don't want to take a chance on another Knight or Sampson situation. 

Don’t disagree.  So that basically eliminates Pitino, Marshall, Beilein?, Pearl, and maybe Drew and maybe even Alford?

14 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

DeVries at Drake is a guy worth watching. But he's an Iowa guy all the way. Will probably be the next IA ST coach. I haven't seen Drake play at all, so have no thoughts on style (but probably Creighton-esque). He's re-built the roster with transfers, so I like that. Now 17-0 this season, but a weak schedule.

Was a long-time assistant at Creighton. Only his third year as a head coach, so a jump to IU would be a big one.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/college/drake/drake-bulldogs/2021/01/29/drake-bulldogs-coach-darian-devries-contract-renegotiation-keno-davis-providence-mvc-tucker-devries/4274304001/

https://godrakebulldogs.com/coaches.aspx?rc=928

I’m not advocating for Archie’s removal at all, but if the time comes, I seriously wonder if an up and coming guy will be selected.  

Dakich I believe has talked about this guy too.  

Archived