AD Scott Dolson - What's the plan?

2 hours ago, Artesian_86 said:

I am not trying to put the cart before the horse, but I can't help to think that Steve could really do something at Indiana. I have never been on the Alford to Indiana bandwagon, but it does sound a bit intriguing.  

Based on what?  Recruiting and ties to Indiana?

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Zuckerkorn said:

I'd just like to know if there currently IS a plan....

The plan is for Dolson to do his job objectively and not emotionally like a message board contributor.  

he will see a young team with a lot of parts coming back next year.   A good incoming kid and a good kid who is a transfer.   

he’ll set realistic expectations for Archie. If Archie hits them or exceeds them, something will change with Archie’s contract.   

if he doesn’t, Archie won’t be at IU any longer.  

to be fair, in a BRUTAL conference, Archie deserves next year to prove something and he’ll rightfully get it.  

There were also things early on that handcuffed Archie that could’ve drastically changed today’s team (ie McKinley Wright). 

1 minute ago, Bustout said:

The plan is for Dolson to do his job objectively and not emotionally like a message board contributor.  

he will see a young team with a lot of parts coming back next year.   A good incoming kid and a good kid who is a transfer.   

he’ll set realistic expectations for Archie. If Archie hits them or exceeds them, something will change with Archie’s contract.   

if he doesn’t, Archie won’t be at IU any longer.  

to be fair, in a BRUTAL conference, Archie deserves next year to prove something and he’ll rightfully get it.  

There were also things early on that handcuffed Archie and could’ve drastically changed today’s team (ie McKinley Wright). 

You sir, are far more bullish on this roster (and coach) than am I.

2 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

I am unhappy with where we are but if you look at this season we seem so close. If we get a few things straightened out I can see this team being better next year.  That is if TJD comes back.  We have lost 3 games in OT to top 20 teams two being on the road.  Without looking I think we have only list two games by double digits.  If we shot free throws better we would have won those 3 overtime games and our record would be 12-5.

1 minute ago, Zuckerkorn said:

I’m not saying there’s guaranteed success, but the current team has six core guys that are freshman and sophomores and Race who has another year or two.   That’s 7 good guys, plus Brunk, and Stewart and maybe Rob figures it out.  

it’s not like Creans first year.  But my point is, Dolson will see all these young kids and give Archie another year.     It’s not like IU has 8 crappy seniors and they’re middle of the B1G.

Archie always said get old stay old.   He’ll have to prove it next year.   He’s earned that.   

Archie’s most important recruit of his potential tenure here will be TJD this off season.  

Just now, IU Scott said:

I am unhappy with where we are but if you look at this season we seem so close. If we get a few things straightened out I can see this team being better next year.  That is if TJD comes back.  We have lost 3 games in OT to top 20 teams two being on the road.  Without looking I think we have only list two games by double digits.  If we shot free throws better we would have won those 3 overtime games and our record would be 12-5.

Yes.  Not to mention, IU has led late in two games vs ILL, Wisco, and FSU.  

Just now, IU Scott said:

And in year 1 we damn near beat Duke, MSU, Purdue, etc...

So, here is a thought. The Pittsburgh Steelers are by most metrics the most successful NFL franchise since 1970. How many coaches have they had over these past 50 years? Anyone?   That's right, three.  This really is amazing.  Sometimes consistency and growing into the job does pay off.  It is true that we would be in a much better situation this year if we hit a few more FTs, a few more 3s.  It has been nuts to see that we are where we are in year four, but I do wonder how far off we really are.  Our upper class guards have had serviceable college careers, putting squarely in the 3rd quadrant of the Big Ten, and yet it does seem like we are close to winning many of these games.  I think we would be disappointed in the results if Stevens came to IU because many of us think that there is that one person who will come in and within a 2-3 years have us hanging banners.  Stay the course unless it is so clear that a change is guaranteed to be better.  And let's some of us stop saying that CAM is not up for the job and can't handle a big time program, treating this as the single variable that explains away everything.  It is lazy.  One last thing....no offense, but a letter to Dolson that uses opinions as facts is not a good look.

2 minutes ago, IUDan93 said:

So, here is a thought. The Pittsburgh Steelers are by most metrics the most successful NFL franchise since 1970. How many coaches have they had over these past 50 years? Anyone?   That's right, three.  This really is amazing.  Sometimes consistency and growing into the job does pay off.  It is true that we would be in a much better situation this year if we hit a few more FTs, a few more 3s.  It has been nuts to see that we are where we are in year four, but I do wonder how far off we really are.  Our upper class guards have had serviceable college careers, putting squarely in the 3rd quadrant of the Big Ten, and yet it does seem like we are close to winning many of these games.  I think we would be disappointed in the results if Stevens came to IU because many of us think that there is that one person who will come in and within a 2-3 years have us hanging banners.  Stay the course unless it is so clear that a change is guaranteed to be better.  And let's some of us stop saying that CAM is not up for the job and can't handle a big time program, treating this as the single variable that explains away everything.  It is lazy.  One last thing....no offense, but a letter to Dolson that uses opinions as facts is not a good look.

Yes but to play devil's advocate how many great owners have they had. That's the key IMO

Just now, Inequality said:

And that counts for? Oh so close point?

Yeah apparently.  Scott thinks we're close to being elite simply because we played a couple of good teams close.  Let's ignore the fact that we had a top 5 recruit coming in for year 2 and our best recruit for next season might not be top 100.

1 minute ago, IUDan93 said:

Yes.  We’re all emotional.  We’re also not the AD. 

this is a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT conversation if this team had all upperclassmen, no core young kids with experience, a weak incoming class, and they are where they are in the standings.  for instance, if Iowa or Wisky were in 9th place with their current teams.  

That’s not even close to the case (i consider the incoming class as Stewart, Logan and Lander FWIW).  

Finally, this isn’t the B1G of 20 years ago where there were 4 good teams and 6 auto wins. When IU started at the bottom, its a legit 10-12 teams Archie has to overtake.  To be consistent, long term, that takes time and often the beginning is frustrating, painful, growing pains, etc.  

4 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Yeah apparently.  Scott thinks we're close to being elite simply because we played a couple of good teams close.  Let's ignore the fact that we had a top 5 recruit coming in for year 2 and our best recruit for next season might not be top 100.

Best recruit next season is Lander.  

2 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Close to being mid pack in the league vs the bottom dwellers that IU currently is maybe.

The assumption that IU is going to be so much better next year is what the AD can bank a few more million on. As long as IU gets better and the rest of the league gets worse at the exact same time. 

As much as I would like to have had this wheel rolling along with the Miller experiment. The product that being paid for isn’t there.

Now the media starting to get on board with the fire CAM crowd. Recruiting isn’t there right now and the media is going to hurt that even more. There isn’t a Cody/Yogi tandem swooping on for the save. The writing is on the wall. IMO it’s going to take a great deal of patience and luck for Miller to be here in two years.

I’m pretty comfortable giving Archie one more year to figure it out. It’s encouraging (and frustrating) to see some of our best basketball played with mostly underclassmen. Financially it also makes sense to make next year a “prove it” year because of his buyout dropping and giving Dolson another year to search for candidates if it’s necessary. I really like the young pieces on our team and it’d be a shame if Archie struggled next year, we hired a new coach and had to feel like we’re starting over again. It sounds so weird but it feels like every 50/50 moment has gone against this team. But again at a certain point all that matters is wins, and Archie would be the first to tell you that he hasn’t met that expectation. I’m in favor of giving him one more year and seeing what happens. 

18 minutes ago, Bustout said:

Best recruit next season is Lander.  

Some of you really twist reality to make things look better than they are. Lander is playing for IU right now. He's not a recruit for next year unless Miller has to convince (re-recruit) him to stay after this season (which I don't think will be the case). Not only did he reclassify away from 2021, he's played in more games than any of the other freshmen.

I could understand counting Stewart as a recruit for next year but trying to count Lander is ridiculous.

24 minutes ago, Bustout said:

Yes.  We’re all emotional.  We’re also not the AD. 

this is a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT conversation if this team had all upperclassmen, no core young kids with experience, a weak incoming class, and they are where they are in the standings.  for instance, if Iowa or Wisky were in 9th place with their current teams.  

That’s not even close to the case (i consider the incoming class as Stewart, Logan and Lander FWIW).  

Finally, this isn’t the B1G of 20 years ago where there were 4 good teams and 6 auto wins. When IU started at the bottom, its a legit 10-12 teams Archie has to overtake.  To be consistent, long term, that takes time and often the beginning is frustrating, painful, growing pains, etc.  

Crean finished 10th in his last year.  Miller has finished 6th, 9th, and 10th.  Y'all keep moving that bar.

31 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Where in the hell did I say elite.  You start making things up when you know you are not right on a subject.

8 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

Some of you really twist reality to make things look better than they are. Lander is playing for IU right now. He's not a recruit for next year unless Miller has to convince (re-recruit) him to stay after this season (which I don't think will be the case). Not only did he reclassify away from 2021, he's played in more games than any of the other freshmen.

I could understand counting Stewart as a recruit for next year but trying to count Lander is ridiculous.

tenor (1).gif

19 minutes ago, Inequality said:

Close to being mid pack in the league vs the bottom dwellers that IU currently is maybe.

The assumption that IU is going to be so much better next year is what the AD can bank a few more million on. As long as IU gets better and the rest of the league gets worse at the exact same time. 

As much as I would like to have had this wheel rolling along with the Miller experiment. The product that being paid for isn’t there.

Now the media starting to get on board with the fire CAM crowd. Recruiting isn’t there right now and the media is going to hurt that even more. There isn’t a Cody/Yogi tandem swooping on for the save. The writing is on the wall. IMO it’s going to take a great deal of patience and luck for Miller to be here in two years.

Those 3 wins would have us tied for 3rd place at 7-3 and that would be a step forward.  It is not like we have not been in any of the games because we have had chances to win every game except for the UT game.

Just turn this thread into a poll because everyone has equally good reasons to keep him as move on. There is nothing being added to this discussion...just rehashed arguments on both sides. No one is having their opinion changed...all that is left to take the votes and let’s see where people sit.

11 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

Ok. So Lander being on the team now may not technically count for next years class ... but if he didn’t commit to IU, the narrative would be how badly Archie recruits, couldn’t land Lander, etc.      can’t have it both ways.       

12 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

All the freshman this year will also be considered freshman next year

Archived