AD Scott Dolson - What's the plan?

Just now, IU Scott said:

Those 3 wins would have us tied for 3rd place at 7-3 and that would be a step forward.  It is not like we have not been in any of the games because we have had chances to win every game except for the UT game.

Oh I agree that the team has shot itself in its own foot. It’s just, well, it’s Archies 3 million dollar job to fix that.

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Those 3 wins would have us tied for 3rd place at 7-3 and that would be a step forward.  It is not like we have not been in any of the games because we have had chances to win every game except for the UT game.

Of course and how many close games could we have lost as well? Just as easily could have a UK record and we know for certain Archie would be gone if he was 5-11.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

And he has one year to do it

Yep most likely.

Look gang, he was hired to do better than Crean. He was hired to compete for league championships and deep NCAA runs. At this point in the latter part of his contract, he’s done none of those.

To add to that, have a look at the league forecast based on current status and incoming recruits. The trajectory doesn’t appear to be pointed in the direction needed.

Which is why we are all having this conversation. Which is also why Dolson is earning his paycheck right now and making the right moves.

2 minutes ago, Inequality said:

Yep most likely.

Look gang, he was hired to do better than Crean. He was hired to compete for league championships and deep NCAA runs. At this point in the latter part of his contract, he’s done none of those.

To add to that, have a look at the league forecast based on current status and incoming recruits. The trajectory doesn’t appear to be pointed in the direction needed.

Which is why we are all having this conversation. Which is also why Dolson is earning his paycheck right now and making the right moves.

I respectfully disagree.  I see ILL, Iowa and Wisky all falling off next year. probably Rutgers too.  

if TJD comes back ... Brunk, Stewart and Logan ...  not a horrible team.  

24 minutes ago, Hippopotamo said:

I’m pretty comfortable giving Archie one more year to figure it out. It’s encouraging (and frustrating) to see some of our best basketball played with mostly underclassmen. Financially it also makes sense to make next year a “prove it” year because of his buyout dropping and giving Dolson another year to search for candidates if it’s necessary. I really like the young pieces on our team and it’d be a shame if Archie struggled next year, we hired a new coach and had to feel like we’re starting over again. It sounds so weird but it feels like every 50/50 moment has gone against this team. But again at a certain point all that matters is wins, and Archie would be the first to tell you that he hasn’t met that expectation. I’m in favor of giving him one more year and seeing what happens. 

I think that’s the logical and most likely scenario. I just have this deja vu feeling where next year may be like Davis’ and Crean’s last year where the coach, players and fans were all miserable and knew it was over but couldn’t end soon enough. 

After this season I could also see a replay of when OSU parted with Matta. They planned to have Matta back for another year but then had players transfer and recruits opt out. So they parted ways in June after other coaches had been hired. OSU lucked into Holtman.

Just now, Bustout said:

I respectfully disagree.  I see ILL, Iowa and Wisky all falling off next year. probably Rutgers too.  

Hey friend, that’s ok. I will say this, I hope your right.

In the long run, IU could be in much better position in the year 2028 of things took off. It’s just, as of now, I don’t see that as a real possibility under the current staff.

3 minutes ago, Inequality said:

Hey friend, that’s ok. I will say this, I hope your right.

In the long run, IU could be in much better position in the year 2028 of things took off. It’s just, as of now, I don’t see that as a real possibility under the current staff.

The get old stay old model will have them near the top of the conference from 2022-2050

1 minute ago, Bustout said:

The get old stay old model will have them near the top of the conference from 2022-2050

The current players will be in their late 40's and early 50's in 2050.  Not sure they would be able to compete against other conference teams that are playing guys between 18-22 years of age.  :coffee:

1 hour ago, Bustout said:

Based on what?  Recruiting and ties to Indiana?

Well Bustout....I guess a little of both as well as familiarity to the state, coaches son, ties to the Midwest and quite possibly, could be his dream job. I don’t know. All these variables constitute zero guarantees. It just seems like,....”Why the h*!! not?” I love what former Fab Five Michigan player, and current coach Howard, is doing for the Maze & Blue. 

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

The current players will be in their late 40's and early 50's in 2050.  Not sure they would be able to compete against other conference teams that are playing guys between 18-22 years of age.  :coffee:

I’m not sure why but I just got the mental image of Scott hooping on the kids at his church league.

4 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

Well Bustout....I guess a little of both as well as familiarity to the state, coaches son, ties to the Midwest and quite possibly, could be his dream job. I don’t know. All these variables constitute zero guarantees. It just seems like,....”Why the h*!! not?” I love what former Fab Five Michigan player, and current coach Howard, is doing for the Maze & Blue. 

Fair enough.   I’ve just simply looked at his coaching resume, nothing past a S16 and just haven’t been impressed.   

now - if he comes here and can land mega stud class after class, I’d be impressed. 

41 minutes ago, Bustout said:

Depends if seniors decides to come back because UW could have everyone back

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

None of the UW players have a chance to play in the NBA so it depends if they are ready to move along from college.  Iowa only seniors are Garza and Bohannon.  UI I think we lose some because I think Ayo and Kofi will leave for the NBA and Williams and Frazier are seniors.

I think some can play in Europe.  Some will have good paying corporate  jobs that are offered.  Sort of like Iowa, I see it as they wanted to come back this year for one more year and give it a run.   And honestly, they haven’t impressed as of late.    

5 hours ago, Artesian_86 said:

I am not trying to put the cart before the horse, but I can't help to think that Steve could really do something at Indiana. I have never been on the Alford to Indiana bandwagon, but it does sound a bit intriguing.  

Some coaches just fit at certain jobs and I feel like Steve fits at Indiana. Sometimes a coaches success is all about his fit at that school and I feel like Steve at Indiana would be different than his other stops. It’s starting to get to the point that the university might as well finally give him a shot. 

17 hours ago, DC2345 said:

Some coaches just fit at certain jobs and I feel like Steve fits at Indiana. Sometimes a coaches success is all about his fit at that school and I feel like Steve at Indiana would be different than his other stops. It’s starting to get to the point that the university might as well finally give him a shot. 

If Steve couldn’t win big with the talent at UCLA why would he win here? 

On 2/3/2021 at 5:55 PM, Joe_Hoopsier said:

I get that, and yes it is always handled that way, BUT if these people honestly feel this level of conviction, shouldn't they la i tall out there? Doing it behind the scenes is pure blackmail on the AD.

IF I was the AD, I would be a Bob Knight type AD. Invert the blackmail. Put their concerns out in public view and make them own it. Then go back and do my damn job.

Sorry but RMK type of AD only works after years of proven success. You come in as a new guy and try to be a dictator? Good luck with that. Even if one is a really good AD and had success at previous stops, he/she should still be a shrewd office politician. Otherwise, AD will make too many enemies, which hinders his/her success in the future. IMHO, AD is a business person and should have such mentality. The only difference is that universities and ADs don't fire coaches and kick out underperforming players easily like corporations do simply because they're part of educational institutions. 

Archived