AD Scott Dolson - What's the plan?

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see post every now and then of people wanting to hire Steve Alford as IU next coach! 
I loved him as a player, but he has been fired as a BiG Ten coach! I haven’t seen a resume from him that looks like he could do any better then Archie!

I guess I am not in that school of thought that it has to be an IU guy. I remember that same though process happened in Football when the administration hung onto Doug Mallory for about 5 years to many! Cost us a lot of wins! 
Hire a proven winner at the level we want to be at, because we blow it with Davis Crean an Archie. There is no more patients for any thing less then real improvement and wins! 

3 hours ago, addictedtoIU said:

Sorry but RMK type of AD only works after years of proven success. You come in as a new guy and try to be a dictator? Good luck with that. Even if one is a really good AD and had success at previous stops, he/she should still be a shrewd office politician. Otherwise, AD will make too many enemies, which hinders his/her success in the future. IMHO, AD is a business person and should have such mentality. The only difference is that universities and ADs don't fire coaches and kick out underperforming players easily like corporations do simply because they're part of educational institutions. 

The idea was to actually remove the politicians, and nuance from behind the scenes and promote an environment that appreciated production..... No, demanded production by removing the politicians and covert crap. That was the point. People want a leader and clear objectives, not someone they spend more mental energy trying to understand "what they really meant" due to political nuance. People want a clear, concise direction. That was the point.   

1 minute ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

The idea was to actually remove the politicians, and nuance from behind the scenes and promote an environment that appreciated production..... No, demanded production by removing the politicians and covert crap. That was the point. People want a leader and clear objectives, not someone they spend more mental energy trying to understand "what they really meant" due to political nuance. People want a clear, concise direction. That was the point.   

I understand. But the very reason this 'behind the scene' power game is going on is that the product on the floor sucks and doesn't really improve over the last 4 years. Not only that, the future doesn't look that promising. If IU does have a good product, we would be talking about a contract extension for Archie, and no need for a politician or any type of shenanigan. So the old saying is really true that wining cures everything. The reason that the product sucks is not because of politicians or big brothers. That's simply because people who were paid to perform failed to perform well. This makes people upset, and those who have leverages and can help correct the situation want to jump in. It's not even chicken or the egg game. Coaches and teams must produce good results; otherwise, on to the next one.  

15 minutes ago, HoosierFaithful said:

Who even needs an Athletic Director, IU should just let us vote on every issue of importance and run from there.  Think of the cost savings!

I don't know how to do a poll on this site, but maybe start a thread with fire Arch after the season or keep him?  Or fire him after next season or keep?  Maybe a poll of Alford, Beard, Drew, Oats, Smart, and whoever?

4 hours ago, DC2345 said:

It’s a different school in a different state with a different administration with a whole bunch of different factors. That said I don’t know if he’d win big but I do think he’d do better than Archie has and his winning percentage at UCLA would agree with me. 

He has already coached in the B1G...and he has coached at one of the most prestigious basketball schools in the country with a bigger recruiting advantage then we even have here. While he might do better than Archie I wouldn’t say I was impressed and long for him to bring that same level of success here.

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

He has already coached in the B1G...and he has coached at one of the most prestigious basketball schools in the country with a bigger recruiting advantage then we even have here. While he might do better than Archie I wouldn’t say I was impressed and long for him to bring that same level of success here.

Only thing I give Alford is that he did well on the BTT and won twice

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Yep...he did that. Just not sure he is going to be a substantial improvement over Archie if he comes here. I think he would put tournament teams on the floor but I don’t think we would ever be a team that would expect to get past the s16.

Just now, dgambill said:

Yep...he did that. Just not sure he is going to be a substantial improvement over Archie if he comes here. I think he would put tournament teams on the floor but I don’t think we would ever be a team that would expect to get past the s16.

Bad thin they beat us in the championship game once and the semi finals the other.  I am not saying I like the move but I come  to the point of trying to bring in a IU guy.  Everything else hasn't worked and I rather do that and try to bring in another up and coming coach

29 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Bad thin they beat us in the championship game once and the semi finals the other.  I am not saying I like the move but I come  to the point of trying to bring in a IU guy.  Everything else hasn't worked and I rather do that and try to bring in another up and coming coach

I have my preferences and Alford isn’t high on them. But I understand.

50 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Over his eight years in Iowa City, the Hawkeyes went 152-106 (.589) with a conference record of 61-67 (.477). Iowa won a pair of Big Ten Tournament Championships under Alford, but no regular season championships. In 8 years, there were only 3 trips to the NCAA Tournament and only a single win.

1 minute ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Over his eight years in Iowa City, the Hawkeyes went 152-106 (.589) with a conference record of 61-67 (.477). Iowa won a pair of Big Ten Tournament Championships under Alford, but no regular season championships. In 8 years, there were only 3 trips to the NCAA Tournament and only a single win.

Not saying I want him here

28 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

He said Big ten tournament. He won it twice albeit with Indiana kids. Indiana has never won it. That said that isn’t enough for me.

If I’m AD I would let this season play out. I’m keeping an eye on possible candidates and gauging their contract situation. I’m also asking donors how they are feeling about things. 

team doesn’t make the NCAA’s and the money is there, fire Archie. There are 3 top candidates IMO, Stevens, Matta, and Oats. Make Stevens say no (twice according to 5fouls).  Then look at Matta or Oats. 

team makes the NCAA’s, then tell Archie he has to finish top 4 in conference and make the second weekend in 2022 or he will be gone after the 2022 season. Money no longer an issue. Again, look at Stevens, Matta, and Oats. 

Archie either improves or is out the door in a year or less. If Archie knows he is on the chopping block in a year, he may bolt on his own this April to avoid the stigma of being fired. 

29 minutes ago, Feathery said:

If Archie knows he is on the chopping block in a year, he may bolt on his own this April to avoid the stigma of being fired. 

This is something not enough people are considering.  I'll just throw something out there.  Say something like N.C. State, Pittsburgh or Seton Hall would open up.  

27 minutes ago, Feathery said:

If I’m AD I would let this season play out. I’m keeping an eye on possible candidates and gauging their contract situation. I’m also asking donors how they are feeling about things. 

team doesn’t make the NCAA’s and the money is there, fire Archie. There are 3 top candidates IMO, Stevens, Matta, and Oats. Make Stevens say no (twice according to 5fouls).  Then look at Matta or Oats. 

team makes the NCAA’s, then tell Archie he has to finish top 4 in conference and make the second weekend in 2022 or he will be gone after the 2022 season. Money no longer an issue. Again, look at Stevens, Matta, and Oats. 

Archie either improves or is out the door in a year or less. If Archie knows he is on the chopping block in a year, he may bolt on his own this April to avoid the stigma of being fired. 

Oats is a hot name right now.  He can coach, but not convinced he’s elite yet since the SEC sucks and he had a nice run at Buffalo.  Some risk in hiring him.  

Matta fell off bad at the end of O$U.  Recruiting took a hit bc of his health.   Is he 110% better?   Some risk in hiring him. 

Yes, Stevens and Donovan are no brainers. So is Beard.  And all three are equally unlikely.   

Which leads to Dolson and all the more reasons there won’t be a change this off season.   And there’s still 8-10 games left this year.   Dolson is evaluating this year.  Next season is Archie’s judgment season.    That’s how these things work - even if fans are pissed and frustrated.   Dolson will do his job objectively, not emotionally. 

5 minutes ago, Bustout said:

Oats is a hot name right now.  He can coach, but not convinced he’s elite yet since the SEC sucks and he had a nice run at Buffalo.  Some risk in hiring him.  

Matta fell off bad at the end of O$U.  Recruiting took a hit bc of his health.   Is he 110% better?   Some risk in hiring him. 

Yes, Stevens and Donovan are no brainers. So is Beard.  And all three are equally unlikely.   

Which leads to Dolson and all the more reasons there won’t be a change this off season.   And there’s still 8-10 games left this year.   Dolson is evaluating this year.  Next season is Archie’s judgment season.    That’s how these things work - even if fans are pissed and frustrated.   Dolson will do his job objectively, not emotionally. 

Oats was a hot name 2+ years ago. Not anymore.  He is fulfilling his promise right now at Bama. He isn’t a flash in the pan to me. 

6 minutes ago, Bustout said:

I’m 99.5% certain he isn’t quitting. 

Agreed. But you never know. If he knows he is on the chopping block some people with double down on themselves and try to save their job. Others will bolt for a good opportunity elsewhere. 

Archived