AD Scott Dolson - What's the plan?

10 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

If he truly believes Archie is the man, then an extension is a necessity to help with recruiting.  But, it's his job on the line as well, if it does not work out.  

If I were Dolson and I didn't feel like I could get one of the top guys, I'd ride with Archie. 

The fact that we have so many fans so down on him makes me question if our fans are actually any smarter than any other fans. 

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

If I were Dolson and I didn't feel like I could get one of the top guys, I'd ride with Archie. 

The fact that we have so many fans so down on him makes me question if our fans are actually any smarter than any other fans. 

They haven't been for a long time.  Why keep going through coaches when you know you won't get an established elite coach.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

They haven't been for a long time.  Why keep going through coaches when you know you won't get an established elite coach.

There's a lot of good coaches that need time to establish their system and culture, Archie is one of them. 

There's very few great coaches that can win, at a sustainable and above board level, instantly. 

11 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

There's a lot of good coaches that need time to establish their system and culture, Archie is one of them. 

There's very few great coaches that can win, at a sustainable and above board level, instantly. 

He will get a fifth year and to me I expect 2 things from here going forward:

1.  More consistency when it comes to winning.  We need to stop with the "moral victory" of taking some of these teams to OT and actually start sealing the deal.  We have had Iowa's number for the most part and we seem to play "good" teams close, but I need to see us handle the mid tier and lower teams with more regularity and we need to start winning more of these close games against the ranked teams.  That needs to start now.

2.  This is predicated on a good year 5, but I expect more regular top end finishes and regular NCAA tournament appearances.  If TJD stays, people are saying that we should be a good team.  I agree.  And if we did well in year 5, I would give a short extension.  What we cannot have is a good year 5 followed by a year 6 that looks like years 1-4 (to date).  We had the roller coaster with Crean.  That sh..tuff needs to stop.

10 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

He will get a fifth year and to me I expect 2 things from here going forward:

1.  More consistency when it comes to winning.  We need to stop with the "moral victory" of taking some of these teams to OT and actually start sealing the deal.  We have had Iowa's number for the most part and we seem to play "good" teams close, but I need to see us handle the mid tier and lower teams with more regularity and we need to start winning more of these close games against the ranked teams.  That needs to start now.

2.  This is predicated on a good year 5, but I expect more regular top end finishes and regular NCAA tournament appearances.  If TJD stays, people are saying that we should be a good team.  I agree.  And if we did well in year 5, I would give a short extension.  What we cannot have is a good year 5 followed by a year 6 that looks like years 1-4 (to date).  We had the roller coaster with Crean.  That sh..tuff needs to stop.

Get old. Stay old.  Archie’s blueprint.  Now - it’s taken a while to come to fruition, but from next season and on, there’s no reason they can’t be near the top and STAY there.  Like MSU did for 20 years.  Plug and play kids that graduate, move on, etc. 

Not beating a dead horse, but there were definitely some things when Archie took over that weren’t ideal and would’ve significantly altered today’s team (i.e - McKinley Wright).   Those are things the AD looks at too when evaluating.    

But the absolute bottom line is that next years team will have to meet or exceed expectations or there will probably be a change.  Next season is Judgment Day. 

53 minutes ago, Bustout said:

Get old. Stay old.  Archie’s blueprint.  Now - it’s taken a while to come to fruition, but from next season and on, there’s no reason they can’t be near the top and STAY there.  Like MSU did for 20 years.  Plug and play kids that graduate, move on, etc. 

Not beating a dead horse, but there were definitely some things when Archie took over that weren’t ideal and would’ve significantly altered today’s team (i.e - McKinley Wright).   Those are things the AD looks at too when evaluating.    

But the absolute bottom line is that next years team will have to meet or exceed expectations or there will probably be a change.  Next season is Judgment Day. 

Did I hear correctly that Wright couldn’t academically get into the school and that’s the only reason he didn’t come to IU?

50 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

Did I hear correctly that Wright couldn’t academically get into the school and that’s the only reason he didn’t come to IU?

I don’t know 100% to be honest.  I think Dayton is a pretty good academic school, so that may not be it.   

Something maybe about the APR being a disaster when CTC left due to the lack of graduates.   How it affected McKinleys situation I cannot say with 100% certainty, but it’s my understanding that something prevented him from coming here.  

I believe there was other weird stuff too with transfers - like they were only allowed to accept guys that were at a school that couldn’t offer something academically that IU had available ... so the true transfer portal for kids eligible at IU was significantly less than all the eligible transfers. 

But now the APR issues that Archie inherited are gone. 

47 minutes ago, Bustout said:

I don’t know 100% to be honest.  I think Dayton is a pretty good academic school, so that may not be it.   

Something maybe about the APR being a disaster when CTC left due to the lack of graduates.   How it affected McKinleys situation I cannot say with 100% certainty, but it’s my understanding that something prevented him from coming here.  

I believe there was other weird stuff too with transfers - like they were only allowed to accept guys that were at a school that couldn’t offer something academically that IU had available ... so the true transfer portal for kids eligible at IU was significantly less than all the eligible transfers. 

But now the APR issues that Archie inherited are gone. 

It’s crazy all of the behind the scenes stuff that happens. My friend is a D1 coach and I hear some stuff. Lol

Archived