AD Scott Dolson - What's the plan?

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Marshall would be a great hire.  I've always thought he'd be great here.  He has baggage but the good thing is that you could probably get him cheap as I'm sure he wants to redeem himself and no other top 10 program would likely touch him.  Keep him on a short leash and make it clear that's he's gone the instant he steps out of line.  I think he'd behave and we'd win big.

IU needs to take a chance on a proven winner! I am not sure keeping coaches on short leashes works, but we are getting desperate! If Matta health is ok then he would be great! Stevens is a pipe dream! But hey doesn’t hurt to ask. Pearl is a winner, but he leaves every place he coaches in trouble. We need someone who can come in and right the ship quickly. 
we can’t just hire a coach to be hiring one. That’s what we did with Archie, we are seeing how that worked out. 

1 minute ago, OLDIUFAN said:

IU needs to take a chance on a proven winner! I am not sure keeping coaches on short leashes works, but we are getting desperate! If Matta health is ok then he would be great! Stevens is a pipe dream! But hey doesn’t hurt to ask. Pearl is a winner, but he leaves every place he coaches in trouble. We need someone who can come in and right the ship quickly. 
we can’t just hire a coach to be hiring one. That’s what we did with Archie, we are seeing how that worked out. 

What contributed to Mattas last few seasons being down?   Just his health and not being able to focus, recruit, etc?   He was obviously successful, but what happened towards end?  

3 minutes ago, Bustout said:

What contributed to Mattas last few seasons being down?   Just his health and not being able to focus, recruit, etc?   He was obviously successful, but what happened towards end?  

His recruiting dropped way off.  Not sure why.  At one time he was essentially tied with Cal for the best recruiter in the country. 

1 minute ago, dbmhoosier said:

His recruiting dropped way off.  Not sure why.  At one time he was essentially tied with Cal for the best recruiter in the country. 

Gotcha. He got Wesson and some other guys that were decent. I’m guessing his health - not getting on planes, long car rides, etc, made it hard for him to recruit at the end. 

I’d prefer to hire a coach from a major conference that has a track record. He can be up and coming but I would rather the guy have a track record competing against top flight competition. I don’t want to take a chance on a mid major coach. I know it could theoretically work out but the fan base is at a place we need to compete soon. A guy that has shown he can win a major conference title and make a run in the tournament. We will see what Oats finishes this year but I imagine guys like Drew, Beard, Self, Pearl, Barnes, Cal, S Miller, Altman, Coach K, Williams, Bennett, Hamilton, Wright, Few, Belein, Matta ...many of those unattainable and some unlikely but those are going to be the most successful coaches in the game right now at major universities or recently left.

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

Marshall would be a great hire.  I've always thought he'd be great here.  He has baggage but the good thing is that you could probably get him cheap as I'm sure he wants to redeem himself and no other top 10 program would likely touch him.  Keep him on a short leash and make it clear that's he's gone the instant he steps out of line.  I think he'd behave and we'd win big.

Seems like Marshall would be a clear upgrade from Archie, but considering he came from a midmajor conference and now has the “abuser” rep (🙄), I wonder if he’d be able to recruit as well as he’d need to to keep up in the Big Ten.

2 hours ago, Zuckerkorn said:

How many times have we heard a coach is judged on "the body of his work", not just one or two seasons?  After next season, a full 5 years will be in the books providing a more than sufficient data set.  It depends on what the "bar" is as far as if any changes would occur.  If the standard is to be a prominent, contending program either this year and next need to be pretty good (not looking likely for this season/tournament) or next year needs to including a top 2 B10 finish and a run to the FF.  Saying 5th place is not bad is a total acceptance of mediocrity.  Now if we finish 5th and the top 4 teams all make deep runs in the tourney you might have a bit of wiggle room, but that isn't likely.  Whoever finished 3rd in the B10 in 1976 could use that excuse, I'd guess.

After last season, I decided it was put up or shut up time - no more excuses.  Period.  This season has thus far been underwhelming.  It's like going through a semester, failing every exam, then hoping to ace the final and end up with an 'A'.

I don't disagree.  But you are basically arguing to fire him at the end of the year then.  

Also, I was more speaking from the IU side of the ledger.  If he makes the tournament and has a Top 1/2 finish and the players he has returning look like they are going to be competitive, I doubt they fire him.  Not unless they have one of those sure fire coaches we dream about lined up.

6 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

We beat Michigan for the title, when were we not in the same conference?

In 75 I think they expanded the tournament to include “at large” teams or non conference winners I believe...I think up until then it was just conference winners only and sometimes the second best team in the country could have been kept out of the tournament.

10 minutes ago, dgambill said:

In 75 I think they expanded the tournament to include “at large” teams or non conference winners I believe...I think up until then it was just conference winners only and sometimes the second best team in the country could have been kept out of the tournament.

It happened in 74 when Maryland was ranked #2 in the country but didn't make the tournament.   NC St. won the ACC and was ranked #1 in the country and went on to win the championship.

51 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Seems like Marshall would be a clear upgrade from Archie, but considering he came from a midmajor conference and now has the “abuser” rep (🙄), I wonder if he’d be able to recruit as well as he’d need to to keep up in the Big Ten.

Good question. The world had changed for him when WS moved from the MVC to the AAC. His last two seasons, WS was 21-15 in the AAC, finishing 6th and 4th. While not terrible, it's nothing like the 16-18 wins they posted annually in the MVC.

44 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I don't disagree.  But you are basically arguing to fire him at the end of the year then.  

Also, I was more speaking from the IU side of the ledger.  If he makes the tournament and has a Top 1/2 finish and the players he has returning look like they are going to be competitive, I doubt they fire him.  Not unless they have one of those sure fire coaches we dream about lined up.

Agree.  He's likely safe this year because of the buyout and IU's reluctance to make such a change (it is what it is).  That said, if this were UNC, UK, etc.  CAM might be advised to have his bugout bag ready.

1 minute ago, Zuckerkorn said:

Agree.  He's likely safe this year because of the buyout and IU's reluctance to make such a change (it is what it is).  That said, if this were UNC, UK, etc.  CAM might be advised to have his bugout bag ready.

UCLA fired Steve Alford 13 games into the season, after making the NCAAT the prior year and winning 31 games (Sweet 16) the previous season. Shows how popular SA was in Westwood.

1 hour ago, Bustout said:

Don’t disagree.  So that basically eliminates Pitino, Marshall, Beilein?, Pearl, and maybe Drew and maybe even Alford?

I doubt it would eliminate Alford. Beiein I think is just done coaching now. Drew and Pearl I'm not sure about. Pitino and Marshall I'd put at a zero percent chance. Obviously every hire would come down to how the vetting process would go and that stuff would dictate a lot of what happens with any potential coach. 

14 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

UCLA fired Steve Alford 13 games into the season, after making the NCAAT the prior year and winning 31 games (Sweet 16) the previous season. Shows how popular SA was in Westwood.

Steve didn't have the personality for LA and there were boosters their that never bought into him as the coach and that's why they had the money to get rid of him when they did. 

4 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Steve didn't have the personality for LA and there were boosters their that never bought into him as the coach and that's why they had the money to get rid of him when they did. 

Mick Cronin doesn't have LA personality either, but so far that doesn't matter.

A group of UCLA boosters who gathered for an event last month to discuss the hire also sounded supportive.

While agreeing that they'd hoped the Bruins would hit a home run with a Tony Bennett or a Billy Donovan, one booster dismissed as outdated the notion that UCLA fans will rebuke any coach who fails to win championships.

"A consistent winner, someone who can win Pac-12 titles and compete in the NCAA tournament," one of the boosters said, "we'll take that."

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/27018775/why-mick-cronin-move-ucla-just-basketball

1 minute ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Mick Cronin doesn't have LA personality either, but so far that doesn't matter.

A group of UCLA boosters who gathered for an event last month to discuss the hire also sounded supportive.

While agreeing that they'd hoped the Bruins would hit a home run with a Tony Bennett or a Billy Donovan, one booster dismissed as outdated the notion that UCLA fans will rebuke any coach who fails to win championships.

"A consistent winner, someone who can win Pac-12 titles and compete in the NCAA tournament," one of the boosters said, "we'll take that."

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/27018775/why-mick-cronin-move-ucla-just-basketball

Different people have different opinions. One booster might have a different opinion than another. 

12 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Calendar boy didn't have the personality for UCLA?  May I ask who would besides maybe Cal?

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Good history lesson.  I was more in it to good naturedly give IU Scott some grief though.

Archived