AD Scott Dolson - What's the plan?

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

If Steve couldn’t win big with the talent at UCLA why would he win here? 

It’s a different school in a different state with a different administration with a whole bunch of different factors. That said I don’t know if he’d win big but I do think he’d do better than Archie has and his winning percentage at UCLA would agree with me. 

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/3/2021 at 7:41 PM, IU Scott said:

What would happen if we got Stevens for the contract and he is just average.  Could you imagine that buyout if he doesn't succeed, LOL!

If we can ever get Stevens and he eventually fails, then I'll accept the fate of IU men's basketball. That's how much I want him, but it just won't happen. Being a successful NBA coach is so much better, not just for the money. 

3 minutes ago, addictedtoIU said:

If we can ever get Stevens and he eventually fails, then I'll accept the fate of IU men's basketball. That's how much I want him, but it just won't happen. Being a successful NBA coach is so much better, not just for the money. 

I don't see Stevens coming back to the college game.  I would think if he did it work be after his kids are grown up.

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I don't see Stevens coming back to the college game.  I would think if he did it work be after his kids are grown up.

I would think it would be before the kids were grown up so he'd be able to spend more family time with them.  NBA teams probably play 110 games a year when you count preseason and playoffs and are constantly on the road.  I can't imagine you can be an NBA coach and spend much time with your family.

11 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

I would think it would be before the kids were grown up so he'd be able to spend more family time with them.  NBA teams probably play 110 games a year when you count preseason and playoffs and are constantly on the road.  I can't imagine you can be an NBA coach and spend much time with your family.

According to him and his wife they have way more family time in the NBA.  When he is home it is about the family and don't have to worry about anything else.  In college even when home he was on the phone all the time with recruits and their families.  Also have to make sure his current players are doing what they are supposed to do.

4 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Exactly.  In college, you have recruiting from April to September.  But, a lot of recruiting can be done via social media while at home.  And, there are dead periods and you have assistants to help with that as well.  

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

Exactly.  In college, you have recruiting from April to September.  But, a lot of recruiting can be done via social media while at home.  And, there are dead periods and you have assistants to help with that as well.  

Well should tell that to Brad and his wife since they said the opposite

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

According to him and his wife they have way more family time in the NBA.  When he is home it is about the family and don't have to worry about anything else.  In college even when home he was on the phone all the time with recruits and their families.  Also have to make sure his current olauets are doing what they are supposed to do.

I'm gonna call BS on that.  I think he just prefers being on the bigger stage and coaching the best of the best.  There's no way he has more free time as an NBA coach.  He could come to IU as coach, hire guys like Lewis and Cheaney as assistants, and land a top 10 class every year without hardly ever leaving the couch.

4 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

I'm gonna call BS on that.  I think he just prefers being on the bigger stage and coaching the best of the best.  There's no way he has more free time as an NBA coach.  He could come to IU as coach, hire guys like Lewis and Cheaney as assistants, and land a top 10 class every year without hardly ever leaving the couch.

Heard it in a interview and his wife said they have time in the summer for vacations and never did in college.  Well they play 41 road games a year so that is not that many times being on the road.  They might be gone for a week and then have a week home stand

21 hours ago, Bustout said:

The get old stay old model will have them near the top of the conference from 2022-2050

21 hours ago, Bustout said:

I respectfully disagree.  I see ILL, Iowa and Wisky all falling off next year. probably Rutgers too.  

if TJD comes back ... Brunk, Stewart and Logan ...  not a horrible team.  

Get old, stay old isn't some magic formula that Archie came up with. It's the aim of basically every college coach that isn't relying on elite prep talent. What matters is if you can execute.

This is year four, we should be old already. The reason we're not is because out of the six recruits Archie landed in his first class, only Race scored a single point against Illinois. Whether that's a failure of recruiting or development or roster construction doesn't much matter, it happened and we're a bubble team for it. 

Sure you can squint and see a way we might finally be contenders next season. But Archie wasn't hired to produce results only in those lucky years when a roster all comes together. That's what we had with Crean. Recruiting and player development within this program don't give me much hope for the consistent success you predict. The biggest tell is how reliant predictions for next season are on having an All-American return to school, something that rarely happens. Without Trayce, we need the best possible version of each remaining player on the roster to avoid the bubble again. Archie's track record doesn't suggest that will happen. Without better roster construction, or better player development, Archie will not be able to execute on the "get old, stay old" philosophy.

3 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

Not any less creepy than when Crean says it.

It's not creepy at all when you provide the context. Crean tweeted that on Aug 3, 2012. He had recently offered De'Ron Davis and Austin Conway, both of Aurora, CO. On July 20, someone had shot up a movie theater in their hometown, killing 12 and injuring dozens more. I don't know for certain that the message was intended for one of these recruits, but when I connect the dots the tweet becomes more kind than creepy.

4 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

It's not creepy at all when you provide the context. Crean tweeted that on Aug 3, 2012. He had recently offered De'Ron Davis and Austin Conway, both of Aurora, CO. On July 20, someone had shot up a movie theater in their hometown, killing 12 and injuring dozens more. I don't know for certain that the message was intended for one of these recruits, but when I connect the dots the tweet becomes more kind than creepy.

I hadn't heard the context before. You're right, in that situation it's not creepy. Without that it's quite creepy.

33 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

It was new and exciting when they said it.  Maybe things have changed.

“I will NOT be the Alabama coach.”  Nick Saban, as his attorneys were finalizing a contract with Alabama. 

All savvy sports fans understand that coaches and teams say all kinds of things for public consumption.  You can never give anyone the impression that you’re nothing but all in on your current team.  Stevens’ comments were meant to shut the door so he can avoid distractions.  At the same time, Pop is really the only NBA coach with huge longevity with one team.  And he had generational talents that made that happen.  If Boston stagnates in the conference semis the next couple of years, all parties may want to try a different combination.  As for the NBA, the season is far more grueling, especially for teams that go deep into the playoffs, and the travel is far more intensive.   We all know that.  

Do I think IU will ever get Stevens?  No.  I don’t think we will ever make it worth his while the way Alabama changed their entire dynamic by not giving up on Saban (he didn’t say yes right away, but they stalked him).  We don’t have the visionaries for that. They can’t compute that if you’re in final fours and highly competitive, all of a sudden you start getting more $5k, $10k, $20k donations from giddy alumni.   Or that applications will skyrocket and you will attract money many different ways.  IU is not like Kentucky or Alabama or Kansas or UNC which will all blow away any financial offer IU would ever make, until proven otherwise.  

IU could put feelers out and the agents will ask what magnitude we are talking about here?  Maybe for Brad, we’d say $5 M.  The answer back will be no thanks.  Then the message boards will skip the financial component and just say IU can’t get anyone.  That’s not how the business world works.  IU sadly is lost in terms of connecting the dots between its untapped potential as a basketball power and flow of money and students to IU.  How do I know that?  Because I’ve seen how blue chip corporations function and we have all witnessed IU’s leadership for 20 years. They are sidetracked by the rigid, unimaginative notion that they don’t want a coach that outsizes the school.  Brad would never, ever do that.  He’s a high character guy.  

In the end, there is absolutely no evidence that IU would do what the Kentucky’s and Alabama’s are doing.  So, I don’t see that happening.   The biggest move I could see is offering $5-$6 M at Matta, Beard or Oats and I doubt even that.  Instead they will overpay an also-ran like Alford $4 M, just the same way that they overpaid Archie.   The salary has to be commensurate with the candidate.  IU’s entire approach is misguided and poorly thought out, until proven otherwise.  I’d love to see IU go all out on a coach and have the rest of the conference whine and moan that we messed up their structure.  Just try it.  Our comeback is easy.  Thanks for paying your football assistants in the seven figures, now go pound sand.  

3 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

“I will NOT be the Alabama coach.”  Nick Saban, as his attorneys were finalizing a contract with Alabama. 

All savvy sports fans understand that coaches and teams say all kinds of things for public consumption.  You can never give anyone the impression that you’re nothing but all in your current team.  Stevens’ comments were meant to shut the door so he can avoid distractions.  At the same time, Pop is really the only NBA coach with huge longevity with one team.  And he had generational talents that made that happen.  If Boston stagnates in the conference semis the next couple of years, all parties may want to try a different combination.  As for the NBA, the season is far more grueling, especially for teams that go deep into the playoffs, and the travel is far more intensive.   We all know that.  

Do I think IU will ever get Stevens?  No.  I don’t think we will ever make it worth his while the way Alabama changed their entire dynamic by not giving up on Saban (he didn’t say yes right away, but they stalked him).  We don’t have the visionaries for that. They can’t compute that if you’re in final fours and highly competitive, all,of a sudden you start getting more $5k, $10k, $20k donations from giddy alumni.   Or that applications will skyrocket and you will attract money many different ways.  IU is not like Kentucky or Alabama or Kansas or UNC which will all blow away any financial offer IU would ever make, until proven elsewhere.  

IU could put feelers out and the agents will ask what magnitude we are talking about here?  Maybe for Brad, we’d say $5 M.  The answer back will be no thanks.  Then the message boards will skip the financial component and just say IU can’t get anyone.  That’s not how the business world works.  IU sadly is lost in terms of connecting the dots between its untapped potential as a basketball power and flow of money and students to IU.  How do I know that?  Because I’ve seen how blue chip corporations function and we have all witnessed IU’s leadership for 20 years. They are sidetracked by the rigid, unimaginative notion that they don’t want a coach that outsizes the school.  Brad would never, ever do that.  He’s a high character guy.  

In the end, there is absolutely no evidence that IU would do what the Kentucky’s and Alabama’s are doing.  So, I don’t see that happening.   The biggest move I could see is offering $5-$6 M at Matta, Beard or Oats and I doubt even that.  Instead they will overpay an also-ran like Alford $4 M, just the same way that they overpaid Archie.   The salary has to be commensurate with the candidate.  IU’s entire approach is misguided and poorly thought out, until proven otherwise.  I’d love to see IU go all out on a coach and have the rest of the conference whine and moan that we messed up their structure.  Just try it.  Our comeback is easy.  Thanks for paying your football assistants in the seven figures, now go pound sand.  

Spot on. You're the best.

Archived