RaceT

Drroogh

This is the type of story I want to read about IU players.  Obviously, the missed free throws really bothered him.  But, instead of setting it aside and getting to it when it was more convenient, he addressed it right then and there.  Those are the types of things that helped build winning teams.  If the rest of the team can take on the same attitude, some of these close losses will turn into wins down the road.

• Drroogh changed the title to RaceT

I think this is something this team has been lacking for a long time. When Crean was coach and Vic was here he had a cot on the court. Sheehey kicked players out for not practicing hard enough. True leadership set by example. Then you had Hartman Johnson Juwan Morgan be the leader and backbone the first year then Morgan a year after. Couple Morgan with a stud Romeo it helped us to at least not look like complete fools with alot of freshmen and sophomores. Then came last year's roster and the quagmire that it was with Green Smith Durham and Davis. That doesn't scream leadership to me. Then Hunter was severely hurt was out. Phinisee was out with a concussion that I think is still affecting him. So now comes this years roster. Al is our only senior on the floor so he is automatically thrusted into a leadership position. Joey Brunk is out. Phinisee is still not himself although shows flashes. Hunter isn't contributing per coach then we have two Sophmores and 4 freshmen. One Sophmore is your stud big the other is coming into his own as a stud guard. Then 4 freshmen where 1 I definitely see as a leader in Galloway but the other three are coming into their own. Then you have Race Thompson. He is forging ahead as falling into that Vic Sheehey mold I think without all the partying I hope. So let me preface this I am not making an excuse for CAM but in my eyes this team since CAM has taken over has had an identity crisis year after year. Whether that be injury lack of buy in players leaving locker room drama etc. I know CAM gets paid well to mitigate this. It seems like CAM has had to be the role model and create the environment for the team which we all know the best teams are player led teams. So it is great to see Race do this and start to set an example. Hopefully this will lead to creating a culture that this team has so sorely lacked for so long and lead into a better year next year. 

Question not intended to create anything.  But, we keep talking about needing to hit the transfer market for a big man.  I don't know where Race is at in regards to graduating, but he will have been here 4 full years come spring.  Should we be at all concerned with him becoming a Grad Transfer out of the program, looking for a more certain opportunity to play in the tournament next year.

We need to keep in mind that the transfer portal is not a one way street,  And, I'm not sure there would be a transfer candidate that would be a bigger loss for next year than Race.  I say that based on TJD not being a transfer candidate.  He's either pros or not.  

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Question not intended to create anything.  But, we keep talking about needing to hit the transfer market for a big man.  I don't know where Race is at in regards to graduating, but he will have been here 4 full years come spring.  Should we be at all concerned with him becoming a Grad Transfer out of the program, looking for a more certain opportunity to play in the tournament next year.

We need to keep in mind that the transfer portal is not a one way street,  And, I'm not sure there would be a transfer candidate that would be a bigger loss for next year than Race.  I say that based on TJD not being a transfer candidate.  He's either pros or not.  

Race seems like someone who loves being at IU. I’d be pretty surprised if he transferred. 

4 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Imo this is Race’s team. He is the leader. Be impossible to replace him and I would think he would want to play here next year given he is assured starter and likely go to low post presence next year if Trayce leaves. There are a couple kids I’m watching body language on and what is going on with their play and PT that I think are candidates to move on but Race isn’t one of them. Now...will he use his extra year of eligibility here...that is a different story.

In an alternate universe, who on this team could have been on one of our memorable teams and who would Knight have liked?

Knight would have been gaga for Race.  He would have been a contributor at any time.  He’d love him.  

I think Knight would have liked the four freshmen for sure.  Lander in talent that he could mold into a big time player.  Leal, Galloway, Geronimo, Knight would have liked them all IMO. 

Trayce would have been interesting. I’m sure he would have gotten the tough love.  Very talented kid but Knight would demand a lot more.  Too many times not hustling and getting out-run up the court.  I’m sure he’d be benched in some lesser games but he’d be built up for tough games down the stretch. Trayce would have to respond, though.  If he could take it, he would be much, much better for it.

But back on Race.  He’s essentially an ideal Knight player.  Tough, tough, tough.   

12 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

In an alternate universe, who on this team could have been on one of our memorable teams and who would Knight have liked?

Knight would have been gaga for Race.  He would have been a contributor at any time.  He’d love him.  

I think Knight would have liked the four freshmen for sure.  Lander in talent that he could mold into a big time player.  Leal, Galloway, Geronimo, Knight would have liked them all IMO. 

Trayce would have been interesting. I’m sure he would have gotten the tough love.  Very talented kid but Knight would demand a lot more.  Too many times not hustling and getting out-run up the court.  I’m sure he’d be benched in some lesser games but he’d be built up for tough games down the stretch. Trayce would have to respond, though.  If he could take it, he would be much, much better for it.

But back on Race.  He’s essentially an ideal Knight player.  Tough, tough, tough.   

I think he would’ve loved Armaan, Race, and Galloway.  Not sure he would’ve like any of the others honestly.  

Archived