Bo Boroski

I may be dead wrong on this, but I think it is rare that an official holds a grudge against a particular team or coach.  

• Are some officials just bad?  Yes.
  • Are some officials easily influenced by crowds or aggressive coaches?  Yes.
  • Are some officials out to be the star of the show?  Yes.
  • Are some officials prone to get mad at something/someone and make a 'screw you' call during the course of a game?  Yes.
  • Do officials actually go into a game with the mindset that 'I'm going to screw Team A over the coals this game'?  I would guess that rarely happens.

Boroski probably just falls under the first bullet

TV Ted obviously falls under #3, but may have been the exception to the rule on the 5th bullet when it came to Knight coached Indiana teams.  Once Knight left, I don't think Ted treated us any differently than he did any other team.  When he decided it was time for him to be the Star of the game, he went into full TV Ted mode, regardless of who the opposing teams were. 

As fans, were are prone to think our team always gets screwed.  But, I doubt it intentionally happens that often.

16 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I’m not saying he’s good, but there are some far worse these days.  Good officiating is an oxymoron when it comes to the B1G.

This. There are a few with an axe to grind but most are just bad...some worse because when their mistakes get pointed out by a coach they get angry and double down. I have no clue what the solution is except maybe the conferences hiring them full time and forcing them through training in the offseason and have after game review sessions. Maybe some of that is already being done...but nba is bad...ncaa is just a tragedy.

Anybody have a kenpom subscription?  I know he ranks officials, but it's behind a paywall. 

I saw one from 2017 copied onto a message board and Bo was in the top 10. As much as everybody hates TV Ted he's always been considered one of the best. Ken Pom and coaches consistently rate Ayers as thee best - year after year.

I do know that NCAA rewards the best graded officials with the big games. Knock on Bo all you like but he does officiate many important tournament games. 

5 minutes ago, dgambill said:

This. There are a few with an axe to grind but most are just bad...some worse because when their mistakes get pointed out by a coach they get angry and double down. I have no clue what the solution is except maybe the conferences hiring them full time and forcing them through training in the offseason and have after game review sessions. Maybe some of that is already being done...but nba is bad...ncaa is just a tragedy.

I'm almost positive the suggestions you are making already happen. 

Admittedly, I'm completely being an annoying devil's advocate, but any major sports ref has a thankless job. You say NBA officials are bad, but who is better? You think a better high school official is just sitting at home thinking 'nah....I don't want to make $500k to work 100 nights per year....it's too much travel?' haha. 

Just saying, it's a very tough and detail oriented job in a super fast paced game. 

One of the problems with officials is that they do too many games. I talked to Ted Hillary at a basketball camp at Michigan State one year and he was telling me his schedule. He would leave Grand Rapids on a Sunday and get home on Thursday or Friday. In addition to working the games you have the travel, staying in hotels, eating out, doing the game and you get up early the next morning and do it all over again. 
Back in the early 2000's Michigan aligned the girls and boys seasons and would play varsity double headers. The schools would hire one crew to do both varsity games. One week I worked 10 games in 5 nights. After working 10-12 hours per day then going to officiate a varsity double header night after night I would be mentally and physically worn out. At the end of the week I was not at my best and my reaction time and my judgement was not the best. 

I had a very good friend who was a D-1 basketball official and he would tell me some real horror stories about life on the road. He told me by the end of the year with having to work, travel and officiate he was totally burnt out and it took him several months to recover. 

In my opinion there should be a 2 or 3 game maximum that officials can work in one week and they can't work on consecutive nights. 

28 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Anybody have a kenpom subscription?  I know he ranks officials, but it's behind a paywall. 

I saw one from 2017 copied onto a message board and Bo was in the top 10. As much as everybody hates TV Ted he's always been considered one of the best. Ken Pom and coaches consistently rate Ayers as thee best - year after year.

I do know that NCAA rewards the best graded officials with the big games. Knock on Bo all you like but he does officiate many important tournament games. 

image.png.edb192ca904a22bec9fb7214797ec0ad.png

His rating just ranks the refs by the games they work. He theorizes that the best officials get the best games (and more of them). So not sure how much cred I put into that.

1 hour ago, Boiler Sam said:

Curious what IU fans think of this guy. Purdue fans can’t stand him. He seems to have screwed us more than any other ref in my lifetime. 

Not sure about how far back your lifetime extends, but ask some fellow boiler fans about one of the all-time crappiest refs: Jim Bain.

24 minutes ago, jefftheref said:

One of the problems with officials is that they do too many games. I talked to Ted Hillary at a basketball camp at Michigan State one year and he was telling me his schedule. He would leave Grand Rapids on a Sunday and get home on Thursday or Friday. In addition to working the games you have the travel, staying in hotels, eating out, doing the game and you get up early the next morning and do it all over again. 
Back in the early 2000's Michigan aligned the girls and boys seasons and would play varsity double headers. The schools would hire one crew to do both varsity games. One week I worked 10 games in 5 nights. After working 10-12 hours per day then going to officiate a varsity double header night after night I would be mentally and physically worn out. At the end of the week I was not at my best and my reaction time and my judgement was not the best. 

I had a very good friend who was a D-1 basketball official and he would tell me some real horror stories about life on the road. He told me by the end of the year with having to work, travel and officiate he was totally burnt out and it took him several months to recover. 

In my opinion there should be a 2 or 3 game maximum that officials can work in one week and they can't work on consecutive nights. 

I would think it would be good to make officials full time jobs.  I think if they did not have to work another job and officiating be their full time job would help

29 minutes ago, jefftheref said:

Great post. Very informative.  Maybe they should have guidelines similar to truck drivers.  This one isn’t life or death but ultimately we are talking about a job and whether the job is set up to be performed optimally. 

39 minutes ago, cybergates said:

image.png.edb192ca904a22bec9fb7214797ec0ad.png

His rating just ranks the refs by the games they work. He theorizes that the best officials get the best games (and more of them). So not sure how much cred I put into that.

Thanks for posting.....had to make me put my foot in my mouth about Ayers though. haha. 

8 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I may be dead wrong on this, but I think it is rare that an official holds a grudge against a particular team or coach.  

• Are some officials just bad?  Yes.
  • Are some officials easily influenced by crowds or aggressive coaches?  Yes.
  • Are some officials out to be the star of the show?  Yes.
  • Are some officials prone to get mad at something/someone and make a 'screw you' call during the course of a game?  Yes.
  • Do officials actually go into a game with the mindset that 'I'm going to screw Team A over the coals this game'?  I would guess that rarely happens.

Boroski probably just falls under the first bullet

TV Ted obviously falls under #3, but may have been the exception to the rule on the 5th bullet when it came to Knight coached Indiana teams.  Once Knight left, I don't think Ted treated us any differently than he did any other team.  When he decided it was time for him to be the Star of the game, he went into full TV Ted mode, regardless of who the opposing teams were. 

As fans, were are prone to think our team always gets screwed.  But, I doubt it intentionally happens that often.

Yeah, I guess Purdue folks feel like Bo gives us more than our share of bad calls. TV Ted seemed to usually distribute his bad calls evenly in our games. His showboating and histrionics always made the bad calls seem even worse though. 

You Boilermakers should pray for the crew working the Northwestern Purdue game to work all your games. You're getting more than a few calls today.

And if I had to pick a kid off Purdue's roster beside Trevion Williams, it wouldn't be Ivey...it'd be Mason Gillis. He's a winning player...

1 hour ago, Fundamentals said:

Many current B1G refs are just bad officials.  

In days gone by, my two favorite refs to do IU games, home or away: Ed Hightower and Tom Rucker.  Fair, and always gave IU a fair shake.  Miss those guys.  

Well in the 70's and 80's IU got a lot of calls especially in AH

Archived