At This Point, Whats Is Your Preference?

Coaches  

65 members have voted

1. 1. What is your choice?

• Steve Alford
    • Nate Oats
    • Gregg Marshall
    • Keith Smart
    • John Beilein
    • If we can't get Stevens, Donovan, Beard, Matta, Drew, or Bennett just stick with CAM
    • Other?

25 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

We're not a Top 10 program.  The hierarchy of programs changes over time.  IU fans need to realize that.  And, right now we're not Top 10.  And, you may disagree with me.  But, 19 years without getting past the Sweet 16 is not the resume of a Top 10 program.

Agreed but getting back to the top 10 needs to be the goal. Continuing to pay someone 3 million a year to be a failure and keep us sliding farther down the pole is not acceptable 

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I love John Beilein.  But, he is 68 years old.  You hire him and we are going through this again in 5 years.  I want someone who can be here 20 if things go well.

We need someone to build the program back up to the level it needs to be making it more attractive. And maybe he hires a great young assistant for when he retires can just fit slide over one spot. That sounds very attractive to me? 

Too often we see coaches on the hot seat turn a season around and stabilize their program. Sometimes it just delays a firing by a few years (Crean, Pitino at Minnesota probably), but sometimes it can be a situation like Shaka Smart who now has his team rolling after some incredibly underwhelming seasons at Texas. Archie is trying to bring back a program that has been dormant for 25+ years minus a few good seasons, but the fanbase compares him to the Bob Knight era which I really don’t think is fair. I’d much rather give him another year or two and see if he can stabilize this program and bring it to the modern era. We have expectations of a top 10 program but we haven’t been a top 10 program in over 20 years. 

1 minute ago, Cutter said:

Agreed but getting back to the top 10 needs to be the goal. Continuing to pay someone 3 million a year to be a failure and keep us sliding farther down the pole is not acceptable 

I agree with you.  It's just my hierarchy to replace Archie would look like this.

1) Brad Stevens

2) Brad Stevens (He'll say no the first time, but ask a second and he might change his mind)

3) Thad Matta

4) A whole bunch of other guys

19,317) Steve Alford

19,318) Rick Pitino

5 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I agree with you.  It's just my hierarchy to replace Archie would look like this.

1) Brad Stevens

2) Brad Stevens (He'll say no the first time, but ask a second and he might change his mind)

3) Thad Matta

19,317) Steve Alford

19,318) Rick Pitino

I would put Gregg Popovich in there somewhere.

2 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

Wipe the slate clean and get Dane Fife..he has head coaching experience, IU Alum ..been on Izzo's bench for a few years(which is how Izzo got the job from Heathcote) and let him make it his...we been wasting years on coaches and if he dont work out then what are we out...more complaining.

I wouldn't have a problem with that hire at all.  Nice suggestion Jax.

8 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

1) Brad Stevens

3) Thad Matta

19,317) Steve Alford

19,318) Rick Pitino

I agree about your thoughts on beilein. Getting a great assistant for a head coach replacement to continue what beilein would do in however long we could convince him to coach would be the best scenario excluding stevens

20 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Not at all. I said get behind this team and coach. That was my preference.

You people keep saying you want IU basketball to succeed, yet show with every post you prefer a change that will require failure. 

I wrote in another thread how I look at each year as journey. It's entertainment for me. It's not a huge part of my life like it is for the coaching staff or the kids that made a conscious decision to play in Bloomington. 

Some of you need to quit being so overly emotional and selfish, because to be honest, you have very little skin in this game by comparison. The world doesn't revolve around your "feelings." 

These kids and this coach will get their chances. 

And I hope they make a few people eat their words...

Lol. My wife would laugh if she read your comments about the world revolving around my “feelings”. That would be something that nobody would ever say about me.

To me making a change doesn’t mean failure. Change is needed because failure has already happened. I’ve seen enough to say Archie has failed. He doesn’t need 5 years to prove that point  I understand the money constraints  

For perspective my career has me over a surgery department. If my results were at the level of Archie Miller’s at IU, I would be fired. You, as a patient, wouldn’t come close to coming to a hospital that had results at the success of Archie Miller. This isn’t rocket science, it isn’t life or death, it’s basketball. If he can’t put a winner on the court then move.  

Since it’s just entertainment to you and a journey, then you won’t mind the “you people” discussing better basketball coaches that could return IU to at least a top half conference team.  

1 minute ago, Cutter said:

I agree about your thoughts on beilein. Getting a great assistant for a head coach replacement to continue what beilein would do in however long we could convince him to coach would be the best scenario excluding stevens

Thad Matta was as successful in the Big Ten as Beilein was, and Matta is 15 years younger.

Just now, 5fouls said:

Thad Matta was as successful in the Big Ten as Beilein was, and Matta is 15 years younger.

I really like Matta and would be very happy with him as head coach with also having a plan for a great assistant to take over as his health may not give him as much time as beilein would have regardless of age

7 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

Wipe the slate clean and get Dane Fife..he has head coaching experience, IU Alum ..been on Izzo's bench for a few years(which is how Izzo got the job from Heathcote) and let him make it his...we been wasting years on coaches and if he dont work out then what are we out...more complaining.

We could use the slogan, "after Fife, comes number 6"

51 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

We're not a Top 10 program.  The hierarchy of programs changes over time.  IU fans need to realize that.  And, right now we're not Top 10.  And, you may disagree with me.  But, 19 years without getting past the Sweet 16 is not the resume of a Top 10 program.

We aren't even Top 25 at this point.  Probably Top 50 but that is not saying much.

However, I do feel that out of all of the other programs that are probably around us right now, we present probably the best situation for a turn around given a competent administration and coaching staff.  That may include needing an adjustment from the fan base as to what we like to see.  This is a me generation, it should not be a big deal but one small step I do as the next coach is put the kid's names on the back of the jerseys.  I also look to have a special jersey made by Adidas to wear for something like Coaches vs. Cancer tournament or whatever.  The entire program needs a shake up.  We can celebrate the past but we need to get with the present too.

2 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

Yeah, I just figured a poll with Matta, Stevens, Donovan, Beard, Drew, and Bennett didn't mean a lot.  Obviously all of us would take likely any of them over any of the other guys listed.  Just hard to see Matta following an Archie firing and hard to see the other guys leaving their current situation.  

Yea, I realize what you say is true.  It's just for fun, really.  Hiring a coach nevwer comes with certainty.  I resist the thought of naming who I would want for that and several other reasons - not the least of which is that I've been wrong before and don't follow cbb as closely as I used to.  It's still fun to see what others think and how strongly.

If there is an alternate universe in which Pop would coach college basketball he would be a home run, even at 72.  I am a lifelong Spurs fan and the dude can flat out coach.  This is the longest long shot on earth, just ahead of Brad Stevens.  But I would take either in a heart beat, no questions asked, blank check. 

That said, I don't think any of the top options are very realistic outside of maybe Beard.  But that's going on some sort of second hand IU connection through Bob Knight.  I say we keep Archie through next year to see if there is marked improvement and/or a top dog becomes more of a reality.  

1 hour ago, NCHoosier32 said:

You're absolutely welcome to disagree with the majority.  I guess the options are on me.  I wasn't sure who to put in or how to put it.  Sure, I personally hope Archie is good enough and takes us to a better place.  I was just curious with all of the opinions floating around how the numbers on this board looked.  I assumed (and you know what happens when you assume) that pretty much everyone agreed that if we could get either Stevens, Donovan, Beard, Matta, Drew, or Bennett that they'd take one of them.  I could have included an option that said stick with Miller no matter what forever and ever.  

I'm one who still would put myself in the Archie supporter camp, but I'd make a move for almost any of that list in a heartbeat. 

Archived