At This Point, Whats Is Your Preference?

Coaches  

65 members have voted

1. 1. What is your choice?

• Steve Alford
    • Nate Oats
    • Gregg Marshall
    • Keith Smart
    • John Beilein
    • If we can't get Stevens, Donovan, Beard, Matta, Drew, or Bennett just stick with CAM
    • Other?

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

Totally agree.  People are actually advocating for him on this board though.  

After listening to the podcast he was on with AJ I was sold on him.  He said he has interviewed before for college and they mentioned no recruiting experience.  He said most of the players are looking at going pro at some time and he has coached at every level of the pros so he knows what it takes to get their.  If you hired him then do what Howard did at UM and bring in an experience former college HC to the staff.  

I also have seen we have tried everything else and it hasn't work so why not change it up and try something different.

57 minutes ago, Euroclydon said:

Dane Fife. Played for Knight, coaches with Izzo, assistant briefly with IU, head coach at IPFW. 

44 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

Wipe the slate clean and get Dane Fife..he has head coaching experience, IU Alum ..been on Izzo's bench for a few years(which is how Izzo got the job from Heathcote) and let him make it his...we been wasting years on coaches and if he dont work out then what are we out...more complaining.

You know, if IU did make a change and hired Dane, it would be great for the program if he was successful. However, in some ways, it seems like the fans always calling for the backup QB until that guy plays.

Dane was sub-500 at IPFW (although was trending up when he left). I get that it's IPFW, but Coffman has won 55% in 6 plus seasons.

He's not the top assistant at MSU. That would be Dwayne Stephens.

I'd like to see him step out and be a head coach again, at least at an upper mid-major level, before being the IU head coach.

That said, if IU and Archie part ways, and your top eight guys turn IU down, he'd be a viable option.

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

I agree with you.  It's just my hierarchy to replace Archie would look like this.

1) Brad Stevens

2) Brad Stevens (He'll say no the first time, but ask a second and he might change his mind)

3) Thad Matta

4) A whole bunch of other guys

19,317) Steve Alford

19,318) Rick Pitino

Gonna have to disagree with you on the order of the last two. At least if we are going to hire a piece of human garbage we could get one who will win. 

1 hour ago, Feathery said:

So your option is simply “for God’s sake give it a rest”? If so, then we read the poll differently. Lol

I had a longer post but deleted it and can take the conversation to another thread. 

Well if you can state your opinion so should he.  I agree that the best thing for this program would be for Archie to turn it around and not have a coaching change.  Just looking this list shows you that there is no real big time coach on there so whoever you go with with be a crap shoot.

2 minutes ago, CincyHoosier said:

Why do you think he will come back to college?  Serious question.

He's a leader.  Yes, an NBA coach can be a leader as well.  But, not to the level of a college coach.  In college, you have more ownership of the product, and you are the face of the program.  In the pros, the players are the face of the franchise (Pop is the exception) and the GM has a higher degree of ownership of the product than the coach does.  

Stevens is the type of coach that would be a natural transition from Coach K or Dadgum Roy when they retire. One of those two will make a serious, serious offer to Stevens.   IU is only in the discussion here because of where Brad is from.  Indiana needs to strike first, because one of those other two will bring him back to the college game if IU does not.

That said, he'll have a harder time telling either one of those schools 'Yes', if he's already told IU 'No'.  All the more reason for IU to ask first.  We control the narrative if we do.

2 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

You know, if IU did make a change and hired Dane, it would be great for the program if he was successful. However, in some ways, it seems like the fans always calling for the backup QB until that guy plays.

Dane was sub-500 at IPFW (although was trending up when he left). I get that it's IPFW, but Coffman has won 55% in 6 plus seasons.

I'd like to see him step out and be a head coach again, at least at an upper mid-major level, before being the IU head coach.

That said, if IU and Archie part ways, and your top eight guys turn IU down, he'd be a viable option.

I think seniority rules at MSU...Stephens I believe, i could be wrong but I think he has been at MSU longer and therefore is the top assistant...Fife was very young when he was at IPFW and just getting his feet wet.

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

After listening to the podcast he was on with AJ I was sold on him.  He said he has interviewed before for college and they mentioned no recruiting experience.  He said most of the players are looking at going pro at some time and he has coached at every level of the pros so he knows what it takes to get their.  If you hired him then do what Howard did at UM and bring in an experience former college HC to the staff.  

I also have seen we have tried everything else and it hasn't work so why not change it up and try something different.

I think @BGleasgave a good explanation at the difference in Smart and Howard.  Howard is part of an iconic lore with the Fab 5.  It was a long time ago, but still works.  It's hard to imagine many kids these days would think much of Keith Smart's shot from 34 years ago.  I'm also not sold that Howard is anything great.  He came into a solid situation and is probably pulling a Penny Hardaway with recruiting.  Can he really coach?  Maybe.  Will he get in trouble recruiting wise?  We'll see.  

1 hour ago, Feathery said:

Lol. My wife would laugh if she read your comments about the world revolving around my “feelings”. That would be something that nobody would ever say about me.

To me making a change doesn’t mean failure. Change is needed because failure has already happened. I’ve seen enough to say Archie has failed. He doesn’t need 5 years to prove that point  I understand the money constraints  

For perspective my career has me over a surgery department. If my results were at the level of Archie Miller’s at IU, I would be fired. You, as a patient, wouldn’t come close to coming to a hospital that had results at the success of Archie Miller. This isn’t rocket science, it isn’t life or death, it’s basketball. If he can’t put a winner on the court then move.  

Since it’s just entertainment to you and a journey, then you won’t mind the “you people” discussing better basketball coaches that could return IU to at least a top half conference team.  

Comparing something that is life and death to basketball is kind funny if you ask me

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

He's a leader.  Yes, an NBA coach can be a leader as well.  But, not to the level of a college coach.  In college, you have more ownership of the product, and you are the face of the program.  In the pros, the players are the face of the franchise (Pop is the exception) and the GM has a higher degree of ownership of the product than the coach does.  

Stevens is the type of coach that would be a natural transition from Coach K or Dadgum Roy when they retire. One of those two will make a serious, serious offer to Stevens.   IU is only in the discussion here because of where Brad is from.  Indiana needs to strike first, because one of those other two will bring him back to the college game if IU does not.

That said, he'll have a harder time telling either one of those schools 'Yes', if he's already told IU 'No'.  All the more reason for IU to ask first.  We control the narrative if we do.

3 minutes ago, Hippopotamo said:

Why do you think he’ll coach college basketball again?

See my answer to CincyHoosier above.

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

This reads like a weird fan fiction to me. If he wanted to be a college coach don’t you think he wouldn’t have gone to the Celtics, and instead held out for a top college basketball job? He’s a perfect fit as a modern NBA coach, and he hates recruiting. Plus name me the last NBA coach who chose to go back to college, i.e. wasn’t fired? I can’t think of one. 

12 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Exactly because I was  going to post about why all the love for Dane.  If he was such a great candidate I would think he would be the top assistant at MSU

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Exactly because I was  going to post about why all the love for Dane.  If he was such a great candidate I would think he would be the top assistant at MSU

Why are you hung up on who the top assistant is? There could be head coaching possibilities with more then one assistant. 

This is an interesting interview with Dan Fife, about Dane, when the MI job was open. It kind of implies that Dane may have been eyeing the Alabama job.

“I would be happy for any head coaching job Dane would get,” “He’s been fortunate to be a young head coach, then to be able to work with Izzo all these years. I haven’t talked to Dane today, but he’s ready for it. He played for Knight at Indiana, coached under Izzo at Michigan State.

“Dane knows what he’s doing and he’s paid his dues. I’m sure he has thoughts, but we haven’t shared them. I know he’s enjoyed his time at Michigan State, but his brother played at Michigan and so has his dad. We’d certainly support him if he was offered.”

Another young coach with Michigan roots, 44-year-old Nate Oats, issued a statement Monday that suggested he would not be interested in succeeding Beilein. Oats coached at Romulus High before going 96-43 with three MAC titles and NCAA Tournament appearances in four seasons at Buffalo, then took the head coaching job at Alabama.

“I think if Nate Oats was able to do it (get the Alabama job), I think Dane is certainly able to get to the next level, but there will be a lot of big names going into this one,” Dan Fife said. “The Alabama thing went so quick.”

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/college/michigan-state-university/2019/05/13/dan-fife-thinks-michigan-state-assistant-and-son-dane-ready-michigan-job/1195477001/

8 minutes ago, Hippopotamo said:

Why do you think he’ll coach college basketball again?

Me I don't know.   But I did go onto the Celtics message board about a year ago.  It seemed like the majority of Celtic fans still liked him a lot but the vibe seemed to be that he'd better get to the Finals soon or a change would need to be made.  You've got the Sixers and Bucks who are really good and the Nets with Kylie and KD.  It might be tough and I wouldn't be shocked if he was looking to move before long.

2 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

Why are you hung up on who the top assistant is? There could be head coaching possibilities with more then one assistant. 

Well in the NFL most of the guys who get a HC hob is the OC or DC meaning the top assistants.  With Dane not having much success as a HC and not considered the top assistant at a school I don't see why he would be a top candidate for this job.

11 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Gonna have to disagree with you on the order of the last two. At least if we are going to hire a piece of human garbage we could get one who will win. 

To be honest, the ranks of high-level college basketball coaches is really not the place to go looking for moral rectitude.  See, for example, the accused rapists Archie put in the starting lineup on the way to his Elite 8 run and a subsequent conference championship at Dayton.

5 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Me I don't know.   But I did go onto the Celtics message board about a year ago.  It seemed like the majority of Celtic fans still liked him a lot but the vibe seemed to be that he'd better get to the Finals soon or a change would need to be made.  You've got the Sixers and Bucks who are really good and the Nets with Kylie and KD.  It might be tough and I wouldn't be shocked if he was looking to move before long.

If he somehow got fired in Boston, why wouldn’t he just get another head coaching job? I still don’t get why he’d go back to college. 

Just now, Hippopotamo said:

This reads like a weird fan fiction to me. If he wanted to be a college coach don’t you think he wouldn’t have gone to the Celtics, and instead held out for a top college basketball job? He’s a perfect fit as a modern NBA coach, and he hates recruiting. Plus name me the last NBA coach who chose to go back to college, i.e. wasn’t fired? I can’t think of one. 

What makes my theory 'weird' and your not?  Do you personally know that Brad has sworn off the college game forever.  

For reference, let's look no further than Rick Pitino.  When he left UK, he wanted nothing more than to be an NBA coach, until he wasn't an NBA coach.  And, when he came back to college, Louisville, of all places, was the best job open.  UK fans still have not forgiven him for that.

Brad Stevens would not have to recruit at Duke, UNC, or IU.  His NBA experience, his assistant coaches, and the school brand itself would do that for him.  It would be a totally different recruiting experience than what he had at Butler.  Plus, the season is shorter, the road trips are shorter, and player egos are easier to manage.  For all the frustration we think Archie has to deal with when it comes to Rob's inconsistency, can you imagine what it would be like to deal with Kyrie?  

5 years from now, if the Celtics decide to move on from Stevens, and his job opportunities are the Grizzlies, the Kings, the Hawks, or Duke, which one do you think he takes?  Being the coach of the Celtics is a lot different than just being an NBA coach.   

Just now, 5fouls said:

What makes my theory 'weird' and your not?  Do you personally know that Brad has sworn off the college game forever.  

For reference, let's look no further than Rick Pitino.  When he left UK, he wanted nothing more than to be an NBA coach, until he wasn't an NBA coach.  And, when he came back to college, Louisville, of all places, was the best job open.  UK fans still have not forgiven him for that.

Brad Stevens would not have to recruit at Duke, UNC, or IU.  His NBA experience, his assistant coaches, and the school brand itself would do that for him.  It would be a totally different recruiting experience than what he had at Butler.  Plus, the season is shorter, the road trips are shorter, and player egos are easier to manage.  For all the frustration we think Archie has to deal with when it comes to Rob's inconsistency, can you imagine what it would be like to deal with Kyrie?  

5 years from now, if the Celtics decide to move on from Stevens, and his job opportunities are the Grizzlies, the Kings, the Hawks, or Duke, which one do you think he takes?  Being the coach of the Celtics is a lot different than just being an NBA coach.   

Was Pitino fired from the Knicks or did he quit before getting fired.  Brad has had more success in the NBA than Pitino did and don't see him getting fired anytime soon.  I am going by what I have heard and read that Brad doesn't want to come back to the college game until I am proven wrong.

4 minutes ago, Hippopotamo said:

If he somehow got fired in Boston, why wouldn’t he just get another head coaching job? I still don’t get why he’d go back to college. 

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Well in the NFL most of the guys who get a HC hob is the OC or DC meaning the top assistants.  With Dane not having much success as a HC and not considered the top assistant at a school I don't see why he would be a top candidate for this job.

Maybe Dane is the OC and Stephens is the DC..😂

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Was Pitino fired from the Knicks or did he quit before getting fired.  Brad has had more success in the NBA than Pitino did and don't see him getting fired anytime soon.  I am going by what I have heard and read that Brad doesn't want to come back to the college game until I am proven wrong.

That's fine.  We're all entitled to our opinion.  I'll stand by my belief as well that he will be coaching in college 10 years from now.  I actually think it will be sooner than that because both Duke and UNC will be looking for a coach before then.  

Archived