Iowa Postgame Thread

KDB

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I am not talking about starting them the n ext game but starting them to start the half.  The last two games we ended on a good run to take the lead into the half with some of the subs in.  Only to start the same starters who got us in the deficit in the first place.

Even then, as I said, it's a risk. Starting means something. 

Now, I was around for a few of the RMK teams 😉 and I know what his philosophy was on it. But Bob was a force of nature. I'm not sure you could coach that way today.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Even then, as I said, it's a risk. Starting means something. 

Now, I was around for a few of the RMK teams 😉 and I know what his philosophy was on it. But Bob was a force of nature. I'm not sure you could coach that way today.

Archie is walking a tight rope with the freshmen and older back court. Turn the freshmen loose to soon, they lose the confidence they have gained while hamstringing already known emotional driven upperclassmen. Its one of those situations that there is (again) a very small tolerance for failure one way or the other. Neither are proven winners by themselves, but balanced together are the fulcrum for much better times.

That's why he makes the big bucks.  

3 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

If TJD returns next year...with the addition of Brunk and Parker Stewart and continued improvement from the freshman class - and of course learning from these tough and close losses this year - we have a team that should be capable of winning close to 30 games

I think even if all of that happens, we'll be closer to 20 than 30. 

9 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

If TJD returns next year...with the addition of Brunk and Parker Stewart and continued improvement from the freshman class - and of course learning from these tough and close losses this year - we have a team that should be capable of winning close to 30 games

Nostradamus.  Is that you?

9 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

so you think we will go 30-1 in the regular season

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I have a question about Iowa's last play.  Does clock still not start until a player touches even if it hit the backboard.  To me I thought the clock didn't start on time and that was the longest 1.8 seconds.

When a players rolls the ball along the court the clock doesn't start, so I'd say the same thing for throwing it off the backboard...has to touch a player to start the clock...

SO, Lander made that transition 3 and I’ve kinda missed that shot. Something Crean encourages and Archie discourages. I wouldn’t mind seeing those attempted more in transition/fast break if the lane isn’t open for the an easy layup because there’s a better than normal chance at getting the offensive rebound on the miss. And I think we need to take more threes. 

Thoughts? Agree/disagree? 

10 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

SO, Lander made that transition 3 and I’ve kinda missed that shot. Something Crean encourages and Archie discourages. I wouldn’t mind seeing those attempted more in transition/fast break if the lane isn’t open for the an easy layup because there’s a better than normal chance at getting the offensive rebound on the miss. And I think we need to take more threes. 

Absolutely agree. Transition 3 often is the best shot you might get.

Great, great win! As other have said, the real test is following it up with a win at NW and stringing together 4 out 5. That is what has been missing the last 4 years. 

On another note, I talked a lot of the personal effort of the players, especially following the Rutgers loss. 

A perfect example is Race Thompson. I'm a Race fan and don't mean to pick on him, just using him as an example. But, his effort of play against Wisconsin and the two Iowa games is head and shoulders above his effort level vs. Northwestern, Rutgers and Purdue. 

It's not just Race, but he's a pretty big example given who he is typically asked to defend.

That can't happen in this league. You need to bring today's effort and the first Iowa game effort every single night. 

17 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I'd actually like to see Khristian drive it to the hoop and use that wonderful court vision of his to either finish himself or get somebody else a bunny (which we'd probably miss 😁)

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I never can understand that thinking at all because I want us to win and if Archie can gets us turned around that would be the best.  It is not like in the pros where a loss will get you a better draft pick.

I was stupid enough to read the rivals message board and there are people over there that said they want us to lose.  They want Archie gone and they think if he just wins enough to keep the job is not good.  Like I said before those guys are not IU fans because you should never want them to lose.

2 hours ago, DireBump said:

True. I like the confidence but he is good enough to get better looks. He ran the pick and roll at the top of the key really well, which led to a lot of easy points. Not trying to attack the player because I think he played well, but I disliked some of his shot selection. 

I agree. He also needs to look to take it to the hole. 

1 hour ago, tdhoosier said:

nah.  we were 6-23 from 3.  i don't want to see us shoot more 3s.  

55 minutes ago, MSHoosier said:

Absolutely agree. Transition 3 often is the best shot you might get.

Our offense just has such a hard time getting an open look against a defense when they have time to set up and all get in help position. On the break guys aren’t in guarding position and we can attack the rim freely...which usually opens up look from 3. We need to continue to push the pace...even after made baskets.

I know one thing I’ve noticed with this offense is that guys don’t cut with the intent of getting the ball. So many times a guy cuts across the baseline and would have a shot if the ball was passed to them but they only run the “play”. The offense is just too scripted for my liking

I was real happy with the contributions of the freshmen in this game.  Whatever Fran said to the refs at halftime worked, because they were shooting the bonus before a single foul was called on an Iowa player.  Then he had the STONES to complain about the officiating?  I figured I missed something, so I checked the box store.  Iowa was whistled for two more fouls than we were, and we shot two more free throws (which we probably missed).  Screw that guy!  We swept them, and I hope Tom Allen brings the fire down on Iowa next year.  Maybe Iowa will start a fire Barta thread.

Archived