Iowa Postgame Thread

KDB

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

Leary's photo is on the wall of the Hoosier Hall of Shame.  He's below Dakich because of that, in my book.  Don't have much use for him any longer. 

He said he just can't be happy because how inconsistent we are.  I just think way to many takes themselves to seriously thinking they are coaches.  I understand during the game getting upset and venting but it would nice to go a few hours after a win not to hear.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Leary's photo is on the wall of the Hoosier Hall of Shame.  He's below Dakich because of that, in my book.  Don't have much use for him any longer. 

I am about to go through the TV and kick his ass.  He is now on the kick of why would any of the freshman want to come back next year.  Saying why would they come back knowing the players in front of them will be back.

Have any of you guys watched the interviews with the Iowa players and coach.  The reporters kept asking about how the refs and how they took the game away from Iowa.  For the most part the players answered pretty well but if coarse Fran had to whine.  They act like it was so on sided and that they never got a call.  I know the first part of the second half were called for 8 fouls before Iowa committed their first.

12 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Have any of you guys watched the interviews with the Iowa players and coach.  The reporters kept asking about how the refs and how they took the game away from Iowa.  For the most part the players answered pretty well but if coarse Fran had to whine.  They act like it was so on sided and that they never got a call.  I know the first part of the second half were called for 8 fouls before Iowa committed their first.

The officiating was equally bad. I'm not sure either team was favored over the course of 40 minutes. 

8 hours ago, dgambill said:

But we need more than 8...which is all we shot against Illinois. There weren’t a lot of bad shots from there today. I mean Armaan had several wide wide open looks. Gotta think we hit those next game.

well, i can agree that 8 is probably not enough, but when i see the statement we need to shoot more threes after a game we shoot 23 of them and only make 6, i'm skeptical.  thing is, if we're off from there like the game we started 0-11, do we really need to get to 23 attempts in a game like that?

6 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Yeah, I did. I commented that I thought Fran was a jackass.

I probably owe jackasses everywhere an apology. My neighbor has 2. I'll take them some carrots.

8 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

Personally, I hate that our program has reached a point where fans get so excited about beating any ranked team. 

51 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Good Lord...

Some people ain't happy unless they ain't happy...

6 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure no matter who you are, beating a top ten team is exciting.

#11 TN after beating now 5-12 KY

image.thumb.jpeg.e4d642922259d62a5e97917f5415c6d7.jpeg

Just now, Billingsley99 said:

Very proud of the team to come fight back from early deficit and finish the job. Now it's time to follow up with a win at NW. 

Yep...We need to stay on a roll...

Northwestern is a tough matchup for us because of their size. We handled it pretty well last time, we just had no answer for Chase Audige down the stretch...

I think the freshmen play another big role in this one...

BTW. did anyone else notice that in addition to the 2 important 3s he drained, Anthony Leal seems to have a nose for the ball and got a few deflections/steals yesterday? He's becoming a favorite of mine...Hope he develops into our version of Justin Ahrens, but with a bit better defense...

1 hour ago, NCHoosier32 said:

well, i can agree that 8 is probably not enough, but when i see the statement we need to shoot more threes after a game we shoot 23 of them and only make 6, i'm skeptical.  thing is, if we're off from there like the game we started 0-11, do we really need to get to 23 attempts in a game like that?

Not sure if you were referring to my statement. I brought up the topic a few pages back, however, that was specified to transition 3’s because they are open and you have a better chance of getting an offensive rebound. 

This is said with the obvious caveat: the right players would need to take them. IMO, It just adds another dimension that opposing teams need to think about in transition, we will get a quality attempt, and if made, it’s a confidence booster. 

In the broader picture, we missed a lot of those 3 attempts yesterday from players who shouldn’t have been taking them and/or their were bad attempts. I think many who want more 3’s in general, still want quality attempts. I don’t think anybody is saying we need to hoist up shots. Some games we get quality attempts and some games we don’t. And some games we get good looks but pass them up. I’d rather see Al  or Franklin take a 3 (Within the flow of the offense) than drive it into 3 guys looking for a foul.

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Northwestern is a tough matchup for us because of their size. We handled it pretty well last time, we just had no answer for Chase Audige down the stretch...

BTW. did anyone else notice that in addition to the 2 important 3s he drained, Anthony Leal seems to have a nose for the ball and got a few deflections/steals yesterday? He's becoming a favorite of mine...Hope he develops into our version of Justin Ahrens, but with a bit better defense...

Leal is such a smart player. He’s also a perfect guy you want to build a program with, and he fits the mold of a “get old, stay old” mantra. He’s going to be spectacular as a senior. 

2 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

I didn’t make the statement and I agree I am not sure the team needed more threes but I do think the team needed certain players to take more threes and feed those said players when they are open.  The team consistently has the worst shooters shoot the most threes.  I am pretty sure if we saw a camera into AH right now Leal is still waving his hands wide open on the wing.

11 hours ago, iufaninand said:

I know one thing I’ve noticed with this offense is that guys don’t cut with the intent of getting the ball. So many times a guy cuts across the baseline and would have a shot if the ball was passed to them but they only run the “play”. The offense is just too scripted for my liking

That and looking to the bench every single possession for a play call.  It's been 4 years.  Let the guys play the system.  If it's not in place now, will it ever?

Here is the most encouraging thing to me. In the Illinois game, TJD hit a jumper. In the Iowa game, TJD finished at the rim with his right hand after a spin move for the and-one.  If he starts doing that, he will be a first round pick and we are going to be good down the stretch 

23 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I think Leal will be very solid on D.  He isn’t explosive laterally or anything but he’s very solidly built and smart as heck. Plus he’s very intense and will work on that end.  Guys that are smart and strong can use positioning and muscle to be tough to score on.  

The freshmen are going to be so much fun to watch develop.  It’s a pleasure seeing them play.  

If 2022 brings a similar type of class, which is possible, we will be very good and no one will remember or care about some of the recent misses. 

Nice W. We just match up really well with Iowa, both inside and out. CAM also seems to have some sort of magic way to  shut down Wieskamp in the second half. Really enjoying watching these freshmen logging solid minutes and building confidence. As others have said, good W, but we really need to build off of this into a string of consistent play. We'll see how it goes.

12 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

Nice W. We just match up really well with Iowa, both inside and out. CAM also seems to have some sort of magic way to  shut down Wieskamp in the second half. Really enjoying watching these freshmen logging solid minutes and building confidence. As others have said, good W, but we really need to build off of this into a string of consistent play. We'll see how it goes.

I saw that in the second halves of both IU/Iowa games, IA shot a combined 3-20 from three

9 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Damn watching Leary and Coyle  post game and how they are bitching you thought we had lost.  They are talking like a lot of us were early in the second.  Leary for 15 minutes is ripping Archie for starting the same guys in the second half.  They seem like they can't enjoy a win

Disappointing to hear on Leary...but comes with the territory. Controversy causes clicks. I didn't listen to his comments but I wish guys like Leary would understand what others on here have posted.

Archie can't just go full throttle and play all the kids. He'll lose a team. Increase minutes for sure...but the blend we saw yesterday worked well and my guess is we'll continue to see it work well and increase as season goes along.

5 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

I saw that in the second halves of both IU/Iowa games, IA shot a combined 3-20 from three

I have no real evidence of this other than the eye test, but CAM seems to be pretty good at making halftime adjustments. Or maybe it's just against Iowa. 

Leary sees the same thing other fans do. He’s tweeted for the last couple games to start the freshmen for the second half.

He sees the heart, determination and effort that they bring vs the stale go through the motions that a couple guys have. We all see that. 

I don’t think he’s wrong in anything I’ve seen him tweet. He’s not a sunshine pumper so maybe some of the things he’s saying rubs some the wrong way which is normal for anything.

One thing we can’t disagree on is the facts. Fact is, IU is under .500 and has to play their way into the dance.

They aren’t consistent yet the coach keeps doing the same things over and over.

A home loss doesn’t to Purdue or Northwestern doesn’t seem to draw any emotion from him. Guess who else it doesn’t seems to phase.

You want to know why a guy like Leary who is completely invested in his alma matter goes on a rant and says things that aren’t full of rainbow marshmallows? It’s easy. He’s watching the same game we all are.

If you own or manage a business with employees or coach a team, try patting them on the back even when they under perform and see where your at in 3 months. From there you can easily imagine where your going to be further down the road.

Archived