Iowa Postgame Thread

KDB

Thinking about last nights game this morning and I think CAM isn't getting enough credit from us for how he has handled Lander this season. Like many on this board, I have been frustrated at times with his lack of minutes. For quite a long stretch of games he was basically playing 1 stretch between TV timeouts. But I think we're now starting to see the payoff. Can't imagine that this wasn't intentional with the limited "cupcake" games on the schedule this year. Basically CAM has been giving him small minutes to get him acclimated to this level, and is now rewarding his work and improvement with more run.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, MSHoosier said:

Here is the most encouraging thing to me. In the Illinois game, TJD hit a jumper. In the Iowa game, TJD finished at the rim with his right hand after a spin move for the and-one.  If he starts doing that, he will be a first round pick and we are going to be good down the stretch 

He needs to show both of those things with frequency if he wants to be a first round pick. 

9 minutes ago, Inequality said:

Leary sees the same thing other fans do. He’s tweeted for the last couple games to start the freshmen for the second half.

He sees the heart, determination and effort that they bring vs the stale go through the motions that a couple guys have. We all see that. 

I don’t think he’s wrong in anything I’ve seen him tweet. He’s not a sunshine pumper so maybe some of the things he’s saying rubs some the wrong way which is normal for anything.

One thing we can’t disagree on is the facts. Fact is, IU is under .500 and has to play their way into the dance.

They aren’t consistent yet the coach keeps doing the same things over and over.

A home loss doesn’t to Purdue or Northwestern doesn’t seem to draw any emotion from him. Guess who else it doesn’t seems to phase.

You want to know why a guy like Leary who is completely invested in his alma matter goes on a rant and says things that aren’t full of rainbow marshmallows? It’s easy. He’s watching the same game we all are.

If you own or manage a business with employees or coach a team, try patting them on the back even when they under perform and see where your at in 3 months. From there you can easily imagine where your going to be further down the road.

I think all the focus on who starts the second half is much ado about nothing. The freshman have been providing a nice lift off the bench and bring energy. If they would start a second half and fall behind, the veterans may steady the ship, but haven't shown a lot of comeback ability. So now what?

The freshman are getting meaningful minutes. Rob played 22 minutes, had 3 points on 1-8 shooting, 4 rebs, 3 assists and 1 TO. Lander played 15 minutes, had 3 points on 1-6 shooting, 0 rebounds, 3 assists and 2 TOs.

Armaan played 23 minutes, had 4 points on 2-10 shooting, but had 6 rebounds (3 offensive), 5 assists and only 1 TO. Leal and Galloway combined for 27 minutes, 10 points, 7 rebounds, 1 assist and 2 TOs.

This looks like a balanced rotation to me.

Although the veterans didn't shoot well, Armaan, Rob and Al combined for 9 assists and 2 TOs. Lander, Leal and Galloway combined for 4 assists and 4 TOs.

Geronimo is basically in a rotation with TJD and Race, so any additional minutes for him would come from them, but he did play 16 minutes. He also picked up 3 fouls in 16 minutes versus 3 in 30 for Race and 2 in 34 for TJD.

One could argue that Al could see fewer minutes, but he's also the most reliable FT shooter.

30 minutes ago, Inequality said:

Leary sees the same thing other fans do. He’s tweeted for the last couple games to start the freshmen for the second half.

He sees the heart, determination and effort that they bring vs the stale go through the motions that a couple guys have. We all see that. 

I don’t think he’s wrong in anything I’ve seen him tweet. He’s not a sunshine pumper so maybe some of the things he’s saying rubs some the wrong way which is normal for anything.

One thing we can’t disagree on is the facts. Fact is, IU is under .500 and has to play their way into the dance.

A home loss doesn’t to Purdue or Northwestern doesn’t seem to draw any emotion from him. Guess who else it doesn’t seems to phase.

You want to know why a guy like Leary who is completely invested in his alma matter goes on a rant and says things that aren’t full of rainbow marshmallows? It’s easy. He’s watching the same game we all are.

If you own or manage a business with employees or coach a team, try patting them on the back even when they under perform and see where your at in 3 months. From there you can easily imagine where your going to be further down the road.

I was going to comment something similar, but much shorter.  You summed this up well.  Just because a guy is critical of the program doesn't mean he's a jerk or doesn't know what he's talking about.  

9 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

I think all the focus on who starts the second half is much ado about nothing. The freshman have been providing a nice lift off the bench and bring energy. If they would start a second half and fall behind, the veterans may steady the ship, but haven't shown a lot of comeback ability. So now what?

The freshman are getting meaningful minutes. Rob played 22 minutes, had 3 points on 1-8 shooting, 4 rebs, 3 assists and 1 TO. Lander played 15 minutes, had 3 points on 1-6 shooting, 0 rebounds, 3 assists and 2 TOs.

Armaan played 23 minutes, had 4 points on 2-10 shooting, but had 6 rebounds (3 offensive), 5 assists and only 1 TO. Leal and Galloway combined for 27 minutes, 10 points, 7 rebounds, 1 assist and 2 TOs.

Although the veterans didn't shoot well, Armaan, Rob and Al combined for 9 assists and 2 TOs. Lander, Leal and Galloway combined for 4 assists and 4 TOs.

Geronimo is basically in a rotation with TJD and Race, so any additional minutes for him would come from them, but he did play 16 minutes. He also picked up 3 fouls in 16 minutes versus 3 in 30 for Race and 2 in 34 for TJD.

One could argue that Al could see fewer minutes, but he's also the most reliable FT shooter.

This is definitely where I am.

Just finished rewatching the game. We missed so many open shots. Going forward if our guys can even shoot close to 35% from three we're going to start blowing some teams out. Galloway is such a nice passer he had two or three really sweet passes.  Landers is really good passer as well, especially in pick and roll, he just needs to put some more zip on some of them when initiating fast break kind of lofts some.  

Race is turning into a straight up beast.  Not sure about the one handed jumpers but he stroked a beautiful 18 footer.  

Al played a solid game, he just couldn't hit shots.  Rob didn't play bad.  I have no idea why he has zero attack in his game.  

17 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

The point of it is to send a message to the upperclassmen and to also set the tone energy and pace wise.

40 minutes ago, Inequality said:

Again, he's not considering team dynamics. Starting means something. And while I love our freshman class, I'm not ready to hand them the keys to the mint just yet. 

I've seen Anthony Leal say the whole freshman class understands it's a process. Playing time is gained in practice and in games. I'd say none of these kids don't know what's going on. The vets know when they're playing poorly. and I think they understand the energy and moxie the freshman class brings. And I think the kids look up to and respect the vets. 

45 minutes ago, Inequality said:

We DID win the game yesterday. And I think our coach is managing this pretty well. We're growing. We're improving. 

46 minutes ago, Inequality said:

If you own or manage a business with employees or coach a team, try patting them on the back even when they under perform and see where your at in 3 months. From there you can easily imagine where your going to be further down the road

I'm not sure what you're saying here...This group has to know that their coach believes in them, even when they're not playing well. None of us knows what goes on in the practices and film sessions, but CAM strikes me as someone who gets to the point really quick. You know as well as I do that in team dynamics what you say publicly is vastly different than what goes on in private. Leary knows no more about what is said in the practices and film room than you and I do. 

1 hour ago, Inequality said:

I agree that they should have started the second half but if they played the rest of the way we probably don't win.  The comment from Leary that rubbed me the wrong way was saying he don't know why the freshman would come back next year.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I agree that they should have started the second half but if they played the rest of the way we probably don't win.  The comment from Leary that rubbed me the wrong way was saying he don't know why the freshman would come back next year.

I think some guys like Leary and Dakich, in addition to trying to get clicks, sometimes suffer from glory days syndrome. They remember what they want. Leary averaged 7 minutes per game as a freshman and sophomore. The current freshman have each been getting abut twice that lately. Why did Leary come back?

11 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I agree he doesn't need to plant those negative seeds.

6 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

I think some guys like Leary and Dakich, in addition to trying to get clicks, sometimes suffer from glory days syndrome. They remember what they want. Leary averaged 7 minutes per game as a freshman and sophomore. The current freshman have each been getting abut twice that lately. Why did Leary come back?

This makes a lot of sense too.  The game has changed so much.

42 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Leary is saying why come back because there is a transfer anywhere clause this season due to covid. No one has to sit out a year like most seasons. Leary wasn’t good enough to transfer and he was on a special team that had winning championships on their mind. He probably shouldn’t say that about kids leaving, but he’s not wrong either. Freshman have been outplaying the older guys not named Race and Trace. If I was coach I would reward them with starts. 

12 minutes ago, Bowhunter said:

Leary is saying why come back because there is a transfer anywhere clause this season due to covid. No one has to sit out a year like most seasons. Leary wasn’t good enough to transfer and he was on a special team that had winning championships on their mind. He probably shouldn’t say that about kids leaving, but he’s not wrong either. Freshman have been outplaying the older guys not named Race and Trace. If I was coach I would reward them with starts. 

No, they haven't. 

Armaan is our best guard. Galloway and Leal have gotten plenty of minutes when they've been playing well, what do they have to complain about? Lander until very recently looked like hot garbage whenever he was on the floor. The game has started to slow down for him and his playing time is going up every game. The freshman honestly have nothing to complain about with regards to playing time. 

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

No, they haven't. 

Armaan is our best guard. Galloway and Leal have gotten plenty of minutes when they've been playing well, what do they have to complain about? Lander until very recently looked like hot garbage whenever he was on the floor. The game has started to slow down for him and his playing time is going up every game. The freshman honestly have nothing to complain about with regards to playing time. 

Watch this video...Anthony is wise beyond his years, and he relates what the freshmen think at this point very well...

From the mouth of babes...

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

No, they haven't. 

I didn’t say that they should want to leave, Leary did! Franklin is the only older guard that should be starting with the way Rob and Al have been playing.

Lander, Franklin, Leal, Race and Trace. 

best 5 we have when Hunter is out!

55 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Watch this video...Anthony is wise beyond his years, and he relates what the freshmen think at this point very well...

+1 

Leal is 19. Listening to his maturity, patience, and reasoned approach forces me to conclude that the average age of posters on this board is about 12. 😉

8 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

He needs to show both of those things with frequency if he wants to be a first round pick. 

Honestly, even in the post, he could work on his post up moves.  If he doesn’t have a path, whether clear or he creates it through athleticism, he invariably gets stuffed or throws up an ugly brick that has no chance.  I’m not saying he needs to be Kevin McHale but he could improve his skill set down there.  Obviously, his highest priority at 6’8 is a jumper.  

1 minute ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Honestly, even in the post, he could work on his post up moves.  If he doesn’t have a path, whether clear or he creates it through athleticism, he invariably gets stuffed or throws up an ugly brick that has no chance.  I’m not saying he needs to be Kevin McHale but he could improve his skill set down there.  Obviously, his highest priority at 6’8 is a jumper.  

Yeah I agree. Realistically at 6'8 as a guy who is a 5 he should be a 4 year college player. 

He can't guard guys who are bigger than him that aren't likely to ever be more than backups in the NBA and he struggles with those same guys when they guard him. I hope he develops but he has a way to go. 

5 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Whenever he gets done with basketball, please make Anthony Leal the official spokesperson for IU. What an impressive young man!

Archived