Some data for the "Freshman v Upperclassmen" debate

We have to keep in mind, other teams are not scouting or game planning for these freshman yet.

There are pages of scouting on our upper classmen. Teams know their strengths, weaknesses,  tendencies etc.

The young guys are allowed to play free, in short spurts, and to their strengths.

Galloway is a great example. Early on he was a game changer. Once he became a starter and teams had tape on him, his impact declined as teams knew how to play him. Now he has to adjust and improve. (I have no doubt he will)

This aspect cannot be understated, imo.

11 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

We have to keep in mind, other teams are not scouting or game planning for these freshman yet.

There are pages of scouting on our upper classmen. Teams know their strengths, weaknesses,  tendencies etc.

The young guys are allowed to play free, in short spurts, and to their strengths.

Galloway is a great example. Early on he was a game changer. Once he became a starter and teams had tape on him, his impact declined as teams knew how to play him. Now he has to adjust and improve. (I have no doubt he will)

True to a point.  I would still imagine that B1G teams are able to include basics like Lander is a lefty who is quick off the dribble, but not much of a 3 point threat, you need to make Leal put it on the floor, etc.  I think the other thing is like what is mentioned in that tweet/article.  As they start getting more PT, they are going to have good stretches and bad stretches as well.  

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Say what you want about statistics, but an Effective FG% of 57.7 when Leal is on the floor compared to 42.3 when he isn't is MEANINGFUL.  I would love to see the same stats for all the other players on the team.  

+1

Not that I am a coach or anything, Leal seems to be at the right place at the right time a lot. 

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Say what you want about statistics, but an Effective FG% of 57.7 when Leal is on the floor compared to 42.3 when he isn't is MEANINGFUL.  I would love to see the same stats for all the other players on the team.  

Leal absolutely makes the offense better because he is the best on the team at feeding the post, using the pass fake, he is one of our best screeners, and he moves the ball...add on to that, he is a threat to shoot and so the spacing is better...

The second best player at the above subtleties is Galloway, and a really good argument could be made that Lander is third...then Armaan.

With Durham and Phinisee, the ball just sticks more often and their decision making is slower...They have both improved over the last two years in these areas, but it is natural and instinctive for our freshmen guards (Geronimo is not half bad in contributing to ball movement as well)

35 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Yeah, there were a few times where he got his hand in there to disrupt or turnover Iowa in the last game. 

I thought one of the plays that started the momentum in our favor was when they were up like 20-9 and we missed a shot, they rebounded. Anthony got his hand on the outlet, took the ball back and made a nice pass to Geronimo for the dunk...about the 3:50 mark...

28 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I thought one of the plays that started the momentum in our favor was when they were up like 20-9 and we missed a shot, they rebounded. Anthony got his hand on the outlet, took the ball back and made a nice pass to Geronimo for the dunk...about the 3:50 mark...

Exactly, that was one of them. He and the rest of the freshmen are improving and I love to see it. 

38 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

AND... That was a difficult pass and basically the only type of pass would get it where it needed to go. That is the type fundamentals I have, when I dream of the game I would play, if I was 8" taller, quicker and thin. 

2 hours ago, Reacher said:

After Race, Leal is my next favorite player on the team. Just makes the smart play. Hopefully it doesn't take him too long to figure out he needs to take a few more 3s. 

Leal will be one of those guys that in a couple years opposing  fans will be saying “that guy’s still playing?”

51 minutes ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

Like Grandville Waiters? 15 yrs of college eligibility Minimum! 

Now there's a name from the archives...Granville Waiters...

My dad (who was mid 50s when Waiters player) would always say, "the sonofa!%&#!  is older than I am." 

7 hours ago, bluegrassIU said:

The most important thing for our freshman is to buck the trends. Yesterday Galloway took 2 really good looks from 3 and hit one and the other was all but down. He has to take that next step to expand his game...if he does that dribble drive will be there even more. Lander and Leal need to get off the 3pt line...Lander needs to get into the lane pull the defenders...work on a little runner...Leal needs to work on shot fake couple dribbles jump shot. We start breaking those trends those tendencies that opponents are starting key in on and the sky is the ceiling.

I think Archie for the most part has brought the freshmen along well.  The one weak spot is Durham. It’s obvious that Archie really trusts him out there. He puts a lot on Durham.  I am sure he’s an absolutely great kid.  No reason to think otherwise.  But to me that’s the one blind spot.  Some of those minutes could be spread out elsewhere.  

The freshmen may lack experience but the flip side is they bring a hunger, intensity, and energy that’s often lacking in the first group, most prominently when we are subjected to Rob and Al together.  We saw it last year with Justin Smith.  Trust in veterans is a big thing with Archie for better or worse.  

On 2/8/2021 at 5:30 PM, IUFLA said:

Excellent commentary and analysis, thanks for sharing.  Overall, I am very upbeat on our younger players.

Archived