IU at Northwestern Pre Game Thread

IUFLA

When: Wednesday, February 10th 5:30 PM EST

Where: Evanston, Il BTN

Northwestern has lost 9 in a row. Last win was against Ohio State on December 26th.

Here's a glimpse at their roster

NW.PNG.ea3774dd40f2cf41046007ee2f86b4fb.PNG

Ryan Young has replaced Robbie Beran in the starting lineup since we played them. Young is more of an inside threat than Beran. 

Can't let Audige or Buie get their confidence up early. Both can and will take bad shots.

Pete Nance can be a great player of he wants to be...problem is, he only wants to be part of the time...

And Miller Kopp is the enigma here...Last year and early this year he looked like an emerging star...Now he can't throw a pea in the ocean...

My guess on matchups...

Armaan-Audige

Rob-Buie

Al-Kopp

Race-Nance

TJD-Young

We let them shoot 57% last time out, and we turned it over 16 times...Don't expect either of those to happen again...We did beat them on the boards 26-24...

And I hope we don't overlook Audige at the end of the game like we did last time...

Time for a nice B1G road win...

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am praying that one or more of their players doesn't have the game of their lives. It seems to me that happens more to us than anyone. If they play their normal game and we play ours we should win. If they get a couple guys bombing them in from everywhere we are in trouble. I would give up my Farrah Fawcett posyer if Leal, Lander or Galloway have the game of their lives. 

Please God, let it happen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not that this means anything to probably anyone but me, but...

IU going to Evanston will always hold a special place in my heart. My youngest daughter and I use to make the trek from the Chicagoland suburbs every year from 2001 til we moved to Houston in 2013. It was always a great time win or lose. She's 25 and married, but every phone conversation begins with, "How are our Hoosiers doing?" Such a great kid...

The upper rim was always filled with Hoosier fans. Such great memories. My favorite of course was when Rod Wilmont scorched the nets for 31 (9-13 from 3!) in 2007...What a show!

Anyway, digging through some old photos and found these...from 2010...Crean's second team. We lost, but still, me, my girl, and IU basketball...Can't beat that...

014.thumb.JPG.6dee7e8eb95ce29d892726eb5f7261de.JPG016.thumb.JPG.49ec9f10e6c0fc323be71383fa280db1.JPG

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

IU going to Evanston will always hold a special place in my heart. My youngest daughter use to make the trek from the Chicagoland suburbs every year from 2001 til we moved to Houston in 2013. It was always a great time win or lose. She's 25 and married, but every phone conversation begins with, "How are our Hoosiers doing?" Such a great kid...

The upper rim was always filled with Hoosier fans. Such great memories. My favorite of course was when Rod Wilmont scorched the nets for 31 (9-13 from 3!) in 2007...What a show!

Anyway, digging through some old photos and found these...from 2010...Crean's second team. We lost, but still, me, my girl, and IU basketball...Can't beat that...

014.thumb.JPG.6dee7e8eb95ce29d892726eb5f7261de.JPG016.thumb.JPG.49ec9f10e6c0fc323be71383fa280db1.JPG

I love when members share these kind of memories and stories. 

Fans being fans, family being family.

Good stufff!

7 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i haven't always agreed with must wins, but this is a must win.  do we think hey are a bad match-up for us or just that they were playing that well when we played them the first time?

A bit of both, I think...Here's the timeline from 3:31 on when they held a 3 point lead...See how many times the name "Audige" is in there...

3:34        Armaan Franklin made Three Point Jumper. Assisted by Trayce Jackson-Davis.    63 - 61    
3:01        Chase Audige made Jumper.    65 - 61    
3:01        Northwestern Timeout    65 - 61    
3:01        Official TV Timeout    65 - 61    
2:49        Trayce Jackson-Davis made Layup.    65 - 63    
2:31        Foul on Trayce Jackson-Davis.    65 - 63    
2:19        Chase Audige made Three Point Jumper.    68 - 63    
2:06        Armaan Franklin made Layup.    68 - 65    
1:36        Chase Audige made Jumper.    70 - 65    
1:13        Armaan Franklin missed Three Point Jumper.    70 - 65    
1:08        Al Durham Offensive Rebound.    70 - 65    
1:02        Race Thompson missed Layup.    70 - 65    
1:02        Miller Kopp Block.    70 - 65    
1:02        Miller Kopp Defensive Rebound.    70 - 65    
0:37        Chase Audige Turnover.    70 - 65    
0:30        Foul on Boo Buie.    70 - 65    
0:30        Rob Phinisee made Free Throw.    70 - 66    
0:30        Rob Phinisee made Free Throw.    70 - 67    
0:28        Foul on Al Durham.    70 - 67    
0:28        Chase Audige made Free Throw.    71 - 67    
0:28        Chase Audige made Free Throw.    72 - 67    
0:15        Al Durham Turnover.    72 - 67    
0:12        Foul on Al Durham.    72 - 67    
0:12        Chase Audige made Free Throw.    73 - 67    
0:12        Chase Audige made Free Throw.    74 - 67    
0:08        Rob Phinisee missed Three Point Jumper.    74 - 67    
0:04        Chase Audige Defensive Rebound.    74 - 67    
0:00        End of 2nd half    74 - 67    
0:00        End of Game

Probably sounds crazy, but I think this game is more important than the OSU game that follows.  A loss at OSU wouldn't be season crushing, a loss here could be.  I don't believe that happens however.  I think we win and get back to 0.500 in B1G play which has been my personal soap box, so to speak, all season.  

Hopefully we come out the aggressors and throw the first punch and don't have to play from behind.  

9 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Probably sounds crazy, but I think this game is more important than the OSU game that follows.  A loss at OSU wouldn't be season crushing, a loss here could be.  I don't believe that happens however.  I think we win and get back to 0.500 in B1G play which has been my personal soap box, so to speak, all season.  

Hopefully we come out the aggressors and throw the first punch and don't have to play from behind.  

I hear you, but I think OSU will be a major yardstick in gauging our progress...

I look forward to Race Thompson, and OSU's Kyle Young battling...two of the real B1G warriors going at it...

This is in some ways a worse matchup for us than Iowa...mostly because they have a better ability to dribble penetrate (1-5) than Iowa does. They are also generally better defensively than Iowa. The balance to that is the fact that Iowa played very well defensively against us when they were set in the half court.

That said, It can't be said that Northwestern shoots it better than Iowa or has the depth of Iowa. The reason they beat us last time is two fold. We were absolutely asleep at the wheel for the first half last time, and then they had a guy go off on us the last 6-8 minutes. They took advantage of our turnovers and poor defensive transition. 

If you listed the things that we are better at now than we were at the time of the first matchup, you'd have to list: depth, shooting, defensive transition, and guarding the dribble...

What remains to be seen is if the culture of the team will ever shift to where we IMPOSE OUR WILL on the game....that is what is missing. From the tip on, simply demonstrating to the other team that they will not be able to play the way they want to play...This is exactly what Trayce is missing as well. He usually needs a big play or two to get going and start to impose himself on the game. The teams with great culture aren't necessarily better or even have better coaching staffs, they have just established an expectations of the right way to play no matter the matchup or the way the game is goin. IU is missing that...That is part of why I love our Freshmen and Armaan...they are generally not waiting around to see how things are going to go...They play in such a way as to make something happen.

If we play well the first ten minutes we will grow in confidence and Northwestern will lose some of theirs as they are on a losing streak...

3 minutes ago, mchenry34 said:

This is in some ways a worse matchup for us than Iowa...mostly because they have a better ability to dribble penetrate (1-5) than Iowa does. They are also generally better defensively than Iowa. The balance to that is the fact that Iowa played very well defensively against us when they were set in the half court.

That said, It can't be said that Northwestern shoots it better than Iowa or has the depth of Iowa. The reason they beat us last time is two fold. We were absolutely asleep at the wheel for the first half last time, and then they had a guy go off on us the last 6-8 minutes. They took advantage of our turnovers and poor defensive transition. 

If you listed the things that we are better at now than we were at the time of the first matchup, you'd have to list: depth, shooting, defensive transition, and guarding the dribble...

What remains to be seen is if the culture of the team will ever shift to where we IMPOSE OUR WILL on the game....that is what is missing. From the tip on, simply demonstrating to the other team that they will not be able to play the way they want to play...This is exactly what Trayce is missing as well. He usually needs a big play or two to get going and start to impose himself on the game. The teams with great culture aren't necessarily better or even have better coaching staffs, they have just established an expectations of the right way to play no matter the matchup or the way the game is goin. IU is missing that...That is part of why I love our Freshmen and Armaan...they are generally not waiting around to see how things are going to go...They play in such a way as to make something happen.

If we play well the first ten minutes we will grow in confidence and Northwestern will lose some of theirs as they are on a losing streak...

My worry is that Northwestern is waking up...They gave the Boilermakers all they wanted in their last game in West Lafayette...75-70...

59 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i haven't always agreed with must wins, but this is a must win.  do we think hey are a bad match-up for us or just that they were playing that well when we played them the first time?

I agree about not usually thinking of games as must win but NW is pretty bad so it is very important as far as making the tournament in regards to both overall record and avoiding another bad loss.

I don't think it's a bad match up. I think NW was playing pretty well the first time and IU played poorly all around. IU's offense is still up and down but the defense has been more reliable recently.

Northwestern punked Rob and Al in the first game and that's the difference. The game stats ended up pretty even across the board but they got out to a 15 point lead and IU could never get it back. Northwestern set the pace the whole game.

As for the Rob and Al, they were a combined 1 for 9 from the field for 6 total points, and shot a total 6 FTs between them. They just wilted from the physical play. That can't happen again. 

3 hours ago, IUFLA said:

IU going to Evanston will always hold a special place in my heart. My youngest daughter and I use to make the trek from the Chicagoland suburbs every year from 2001 til we moved to Houston in 2013. It was always a great time win or lose. She's 25 and married, but every phone conversation begins with, "How are our Hoosiers doing?" Such a great kid...

I lived in Chicago for 10 years right after college and used to always go to this game too.  And yes, the 9 3s by Rod Wilmont a memorable one for sure!!  I remember one year Bob Knight came out before the game and was throwing candy into the NW student section.

The best was all of the IU fans though... it always felt like a home game.  It was fun to scream and cheer and chant and not feel like I was the obnoxious away fan, because everyone around was in cream and crimson and doing the same.  I miss those days -- and when going to NW was an automatic win.  I hope they can pull it off tomorrow.  

3 minutes ago, HoosierMama said:

I lived in Chicago for 10 years right after college and used to always go to this game too.  And yes, the 9 3s by Rod Wilmont a memorable one for sure!!  I remember one year Bob Knight came out before the game and was throwing candy into the NW student section.

The best was all of the IU fans though... it always felt like a home game.  It was fun to scream and cheer and chant and not feel like I was the obnoxious away fan, because everyone around was in cream and crimson and doing the same.  I miss those days -- and when going to NW was an automatic win.  I hope they can pull it off tomorrow.  

Awesome!

I remember when Rod hit like his 5th in a row, the upper bowl was going nuts! My daughter was covering her ears, and said, "YOU PEOPLE ARE BERSERK, BUT GOD THIS IS FUN!"

It WAS like a home game. All red in the upper section. I showed my daughter the renovations they'd made from the old wooden bleachers to the new padded chairs, and she commented it they were 15 years too late...

1 hour ago, NCHoosier32 said:

this team is so unpredictable, who knows?  but 5 will be awful tough.  this is a must win if we're even getting to 4.  

I think we will beat NW and then we have to get 4 more.  I think we have a really good shot winning at home against Minnesota and MSU.  Also who know how UM will be after being off for 3 or 4 weeks so they could be vulnerable  Also if they don't have to make up those games then we probably be alright at 9-9

Archived