IU at Northwestern Pre Game Thread

IUFLA

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Northwestern enters Wednesday's contest on a 9-game skid, but IU knows better.
“That seems like a long time ago, but we are going to have to be much better against these guys then we were the first time.”

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/iu-basketball-game-day-hoosiers-look-for-still-elusive-momentum-and-revenge-at-northwestern/

5 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:
“That seems like a long time ago, but we are going to have to be much better against these guys then we were the first time.”

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/iu-basketball-game-day-hoosiers-look-for-still-elusive-momentum-and-revenge-at-northwestern/

Hey TDH...any inside on Jerome Hunter's availability in the game? I saw he dressed against Iowa...

52 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

This is a game we have to win.  It is a similar situation to Rutgers.  We come off a nice win and follow that up with a team that is reeling, this is the type of game you have to finish off.

We have tough but winnable games left on the schedule, the tournament is still doable.  I would hope that is being pounded into the guys repeatedly, what has happened to this point is the past, but you still have a golden opportunity in front of you if you just play to your ability.

8 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

This is a game we have to win.  It is a similar situation to Rutgers.  We come off a nice win and follow that up with a team that is reeling, this is the type of game you have to finish off.

We have tough but winnable games left on the schedule, the tournament is still doable.  I would hope that is being pounded into the guys repeatedly, what has happened to this point is the past, but you still have a golden opportunity in front of you if you just play to your ability.

yep.  gotta win this one.  will be interested to hear about Hunter.  i'm kind of over wondering about Stewart, but of course curious!  i'm assuming the same starting lineup which (unpopularly) i am fairly okay with.  if that's the case, i'd just like to see a short leash on subbing guys out who don't get off to a good start and giving more minutes to whoever has us playing best.  

Question for @BGleas - if I have seen correctly, you played pretty high level ball I think?  I know it was a different era and different bball society, but how often did your coaches change starters?  And how often did they not start the same guys in the 2nd half?  Lastly, in from what you have seen in recent years, how common do you believe either is?

24 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

Feeling good about this game ... which is the same way I felt before Rutgers ... and Purdue ... and Illinois ... and so on. Terrific opportunity for a team that is giving the freshmen significant minutes to gain some confidence. 

Change your feelings.  We need this one.🙂

2 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

Question for @BGleas - if I have seen correctly, you played pretty high level ball I think?  I know it was a different era and different bball society, but how often did your coaches change starters?  And how often did they not start the same guys in the 2nd half?  Lastly, in from what you have seen in recent years, how common do you believe either is?

While we await BGleas’s answer, I’m not sure why you’re stuck on the “most coaches do something” notion.  We aren’t trying to be at the mean here.  We want elite coaching.  

Imagine Knight started Leary at guard.  Then when the game started, the other team used a quick guard to take Leary off the bounce, and we fall down 15-4.   Knight subs out Leary for Reynolds.  The defense tightens, and then we went up 37-27 at the half.  

At the start the start of the second half, there is almost no shot that Knight would start Leary.  It didn’t work.  It’s insanity to keep trying something that is not working.

You seem satisfied if the Dale Browns of the world return to Leary.  That’s not how Indiana fans think because we saw the example I gave play out in many, many forms.  We have seen coaches who gave us an edge.  If you’re playing a really good team, you don’t have time or margin to screw around with something that isn’t working.  

People here always want to call a game like this a must win, and while there is logic behind that (it's our easiest remaining game), that just isn't how this team works. Would anyone really be that surprised if we lose to NW and Minnesota and beat Michigan and OSU? I would say it's only slightly less likely than the opposite.

It would be great if we're done losing to mediocre teams, but regardless of how we play against those teams, I doubt we're done beating really good ones. 

7 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

While we await BGleas’s answer, I’m not sure why you’re stuck on the “most coaches do something” notion.  We aren’t trying to be at the mean here.  We want elite coaching.  

Imagine Knight started Leary at guard.  Then when the game started, the other team used a quick guard to take Leary off the bounce, and we fall down 15-4.   Knight subs out Leary for Reynolds.  The defense tightens, and then we went up 37-27 at the half.  

At the start the start of the second half, there is almost no shot that Knight would start Leary.  It didn’t work.  It’s insanity to keep trying something that is not working.

You seem satisfied if the Dale Browns of the world return to Leary.  That’s not how Indiana fans think because we saw the example I gave play out in many, many forms.  We have seen coaches who gave us an edge.  If you’re playing a really good team, you don’t have time or margin to screw around with something that isn’t working.  

Hey Bob.  Not really stuck on it.  Just a lot of guys on here getting really upset about it, and I'm just making an observation that I actually think it's pretty rare for college coaches to do it.  I mean, I am one of the biggest Coach Knight fans there is, and I loved how he did things.  Am I satisfied right now?  Um, no.  Just saying that when people lose their minds about CAM not doing that, my opinion is that it's not that surprising or that big of a deal.  I don't know if you have coached high school or high level travel ball, but if you have, you know there are a lot of things that go into managing team dynamics, egos, etc.  Not always as easy as it seems to us fans looking from the outside in.  Anyway, I'm not really stuck on it, and posted this out of curiosity what BGleas has experienced.  I may be wrong about it.  It just doesn't seem like you see it much.    

20 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

People here always want to call a game like this a must win, and while there is logic behind that (it's our easiest remaining game), that just isn't how this team works. Would anyone really be that surprised if we lose to NW and Minnesota and beat Michigan and OSU? I would say it's only slightly less likely than the opposite.

It would be great if we're done losing to mediocre teams, but regardless of how we play against those teams, I doubt we're done beating really good ones. 

I get your point, and don't really disagree.  This team is so unpredictable.  That said, this would not go as a "good" loss and having some momentum continue after our big win sure would be nice.  

2 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

Hey Bob.  Not really stuck on it.  Just a lot of guys on here getting really upset about it, and I'm just making an observation that I actually think it's pretty rare for college coaches to do it.  I mean, I am one of the biggest Coach Knight fans there is, and I loved how he did things.  Am I satisfied right now?  Um, no.  Just saying that when people lose their minds about CAM not doing that, my opinion is that it's not that surprising or that big of a deal.  I don't know if you have coached high school or high level travel ball, but if you have, you know there are a lot of things that go into managing team dynamics, egos, etc.  Not always as easy as it seems to us fans looking from the outside in.  Anyway, I'm not really stuck on it, and posted this out of curiosity what BGleas has experienced.  I may be wrong about it.  It just doesn't seem like you see it much.    

That’s fair.  Regarding egos, there is so much talk about kids today being different.  Maybe they are.  Mine are too young to get that deep into it.   But when it comes to competition, I would be straight and transparent.  I think even a kid today can be coached hard if the coach can frame it in a way that hopefully the kid understands.  One common theme I see is that players today frquently cite coaches who make them better.  This is a way to do that.  You don’t have to embarrass a kid, but team principles can be understood even with today’s players.  

Respect your view, but I still think a coach can tactically see what combinations are working and highlight those to the exclusion to things that aren’t working.  You don’t have to go nuts but some coaches get advanced data at the half to see in numbers what worked.  

Just now, BobSaccamanno said:

That’s fair.  Regarding egos, there is so much talk about kids today being different.  Maybe they are.  Mine are too young to get that deep into it.   But when it comes to competition, I would be straight and transparent.  I think even a kid today can be coached hard if the coach can frame it in a way that hopefully the kid understands.  One common theme I see is that players today frquently cite coaches who make them better.  This is a way to do that.  You don’t have to embarrass a kid, but team principles can be understood even with today’s players.  

Respect your view, but I still think a coach can tactically see what combinations are working and highlight those to the exclusion to things that aren’t working.  You don’t have to go nuts but some coaches get advanced data at the half to see in numbers what worked.  

Oh, I totally agree with that and would hope that it isn't a matter of CAM not realizing the combos that have worked best.  I hope they analyze numbers at half and talk as a staff.  Personally I consider myself very old school and I have definitely had times that I have made a change of starters at half, but I have always felt it would need to be very glaring and I have to know my personnel well enough that it is worth it.  Otherwise, I would come out with the same starters, but take a guy or guys out quick if they're not getting it done starting the second half.  Definitely not afraid to not play my starters starter minutes at that point.  

I think Archie doesn’t have the clout built up yet to completely bench Rob, plus Rob’s confidence already seems to be really low as it is. Archie knows that if he kicks Rob to the curb that there’s no shot he plays well for this team going forward. Knight could do moves like these because he’s built up that reputation and could do no wrong as a coach, but Archie needs to find that delicate balance between the freshmen and upperclassmen and I think overall he’s done a good job. It was like last year with Devonte Green - he benched him once in a while but he couldn’t completely write him off because he was pretty much the only player who could create his own shot. IU needs Rob and Lander to both be viable options for this team to be successful, and it’s got to be so tough trying to balance playing time for both guys. 

I don't mind the early start today.  I've been off with a snow day and we will likely be off tomorrow.  We are getting ice now and snow later.  A little bit south of me, they're supposed to get hit hard with ice.  Any of you Kentucky Hoosiers live where that is coming?

I remember is 2009 listening to the IU @ NW game on an emergency radio since the power was out.  I don't think I'll have to do that tonight, but I know where it is in case. 

Archived