IU at Northwestern Pre Game Thread

IUFLA

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really think this would be a good game to start lander, Leal, Galloway, Thompson and TJD.  Bring Rob and Al off the bench if needed and give rest when the freshman get winded.  But give them some leash and the green light to shoot and try and score within the offense.  Just what I would like to see at some point this season and against a team that has lost 9 straight might be a good time to give this a test for at least the first 8 minutes.

13 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Really think this would be a good game to start lander, Leal, Galloway, Thompson and TJD.  Bring Rob and Al off the bench if needed and give rest when the freshman get winded.  But give them some leash and the green light to shoot and try and score within the offense.  Just what I would like to see at some point this season and against a team that has lost 9 straight might be a good time to give this a test for at least the first 8 minutes.

I can't get behind not starting Armaan.  

13 minutes ago, Hippopotamo said:

You can’t forget about the guy who just hit a game winning shot!

hitting game winning shots are just 1 shot.  Its about the body of work, how they played the whole game and not just that final minute or second.  It isn't going to hurt anything to try something different.  Its not like we come out on fire in games anyways and you can always adjust at the first TTO.  Doing what we do every single game after game has led to so much inconsistency that we can't even be confident that we can beat a team that has lost 9 straight after beating a top 10 team in the nation.  Because we usually don't.  So, lets try something different and see if it lights fires under the upper classmen while giving a nod of confidence to the younger player who put forth 95% more effort every game than their upper classmen counterparts.

Just something I would like to see.  

5 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

Question for @BGleas - if I have seen correctly, you played pretty high level ball I think?  I know it was a different era and different bball society, but how often did your coaches change starters?  And how often did they not start the same guys in the 2nd half?  Lastly, in from what you have seen in recent years, how common do you believe either is?

Yes, played D2 basketball. Not to age myself, but this season is 20 since my senior year (2000-2001). 

I'll start by saying that I think the criticism of Archie during game threads about not changing the lineup to start the second half of games is typically over-the-top. 

I don't say this to pump myself up, I just say it to frame my perspective, but I was a 4-year starter in college, so that probably shapes my perspective on this. 

But, my coach rarely changed lineups at halftime, and its something I think most coaches don't do. There's just more damage you can do than potential upside, unless its a clear match up thing as opposed to a performance thing. 

If a bench player plays well in the first half you know you're going to give him 2nd half minutes anyways, but by benching the starter you risk putting them into a funck. 

I also think there's the thought that you know you have a bench guy playing well, so if you can just get the starter going early in the 2nd half then your team is in great shape, so you stick with the starter. 

I think you do more damage to the starter than you get benefit from the move. If the bench player continues to outplay the starter over time, then you make a more permanent switch in between games. 

As a starter, you don't want to go into halftime all the time worrying whether or not that turnover you had late in the half is going to get you benched, etc. 

I'm on my phone at work, so that might have been a bit of a rambling answer. Its an interesting discussion though. 

8 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Yes, played D2 basketball. Not to age myself, but this season is 20 since my senior year (2000-2001). 

I'll start by saying that I think the criticism of Archie during game threads about not changing the lineup to start the second half of games is typically over-the-top. 

I don't say this to pump myself up, I just say it to frame my perspective, but I was a 4-year starter in college, so that probably shapes my perspective on this. 

But, my coach rarely changed lineups at halftime, and its something I think most coaches don't do. There's just more damage you can do than potential upside, unless its a clear match up thing as opposed to a performance thing. 

If a bench player plays well in the first half you know you're going to give him 2nd half minutes anyways, but by benching the starter you risk putting them into a funck. 

I also think there's the thought that you know you have a bench guy playing well, so if you can just get the starter going early in the 2nd half then your team is in great shape, so you stick with the starter. 

I think you do more damage to the starter than you get benefit from the move. If the bench player continues to outplay the starter over time, then you make a more permanent switch in between games. 

As a starter, you don't want to go into halftime all the time worrying whether or not that turnover you had late in the half is going to get you benched, etc. 

I'm on my phone at work, so that might have been a bit of a rambling answer. Its an interesting discussion though. 

Thanks for the perspective... 

Starting with tonight 90% of the outcome of the rest of this season rests with TJD, Al and Rob. Armaan, Race and the freshman will give effort every night. How badly do the first three want to make a run and leave no doubt for a NCAAT appearance? They should be crazy hungry. If they are content with show up, win one lose one, then they will be on the outside looking in. 

51 minutes ago, BGleas said:

This has 100% been my thought, but I thought people listen better when it comes from you!  :) 

4 minutes ago, iuthruandthru said:

This is a prime game to build momentum instead of another step backward.  Time to win a game you should and go into this game like they were playing Iowa and Illinois.  For some reason, god help me, I feel positive about this game.

Losing to them earlier this year may actually help the effort.  They should know they can't slack against these guys as they have already proven they are capable of beating us.

• KDB locked this topic

Archived