Northwestern Post-Game Thread

KDB

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, mchenry34 said:

If you can, watch it again and look for things beyond missing shots...After reading your thoughts, I was expecting a really bad first half...

Appreciate your optimism but I’d rather squeeze lemons in my eye, thank you. Between our 10 turnovers and NW clanking shots left and right, that was probably the worst half of basketball I’ve watched all year. We made NW, who is one of the worst defenses in the B1G look like the 96 Bulls. 

7 hours ago, mchenry34 said:

I did not get to watch it live, and have only watched the first half so far, but I thought we played with great energy. I am not joking. I suppose that most of your frustration could be about the second half, but I honestly did not think we played that bad in the first half (maybe it's just because I know that we won)

We shot terribly in the the first fifteen minutes, but our defensive energy was great with really crisp switches and good positioning. Very strong one on one defense in the post. Much better in transition defense too. Northwestern had to hit some tough shots and get some lucky bounces to have the lead they did when with our terrible shooting.

Offensively we missed free throws, layups, and wide open threes, but our ball movement was great and our post entries were as good as I have seen them all year. Take away over penetration (one by Durham, one by Franklin, one by Galloway) and two just completely errant passes, and we were getting whatever we wanted offensively, we just weren't finishing. 

You guys made it sound terrible...but I am being completely honest, I thought we were ready to go in most ways of thinking about it, just not putting the ball in the basket.

If you can, watch it again and look for things beyond missing shots...After reading your thoughts, I was expecting a really bad first half...

You can't say that! The people that know basketball on this forum know better! Archie sucks! The team sucks! 

Seriously though, I think some people think this team is going to turn from the ugly duckling into the beautiful swan...well, that's not going to happen. While I love dazzling, symmetrical  basketball as much as anybody, there's something to be said for mental toughness, physical toughness, and grit. Thank God our players don't wave the white flag as readily as some on here do.

On to OSU...

10 hours ago, Indykev said:

Anybody who didn't watch this should...Hats off to Coach Collins and the Northwestern kids. It had to be a really tough day for them with the basketball game being a miniscule part of that. 

Some things are bigger than basketball...My heart goes out to Ty Berry and his family...

Man, that step back three by Hunter was insane. That had to feel amazing for him. Also Lander’s passing is so crisp sometimes. Just a marvel to watch. That little pass to Geronimo for the slam was gold. 

Tough, tough game though. First half was absolute dog 💩

Huge credit to the team for gutting that one out and for turning around the free throws. 

Also just watched the Collins video; good reminder that there are more important things than a game. 

46 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Appreciate your optimism but I’d rather squeeze lemons in my eye, thank you. Between our 10 turnovers and NW clanking shots left and right, that was probably the worst half of basketball I’ve watched all year. We made NW, who is one of the worst defenses in the B1G look like the 96 Bulls. 

I am sometimes guilty of being overly optimistic, but my sense was that we contested shots really well. Northwestern missed those shots, but we contested really well. On the other end we missed WIDE open looks...

Sometimes as a coach you have to look at whether we are contesting well and well positioned against whether they make shots or not...and on the other end you have to look at whether we are executing and getting good shots and not whether we were making them....

Of course the layups and free throws are inexcusable and may in the end determine whether we are in the tournament or not and whether Archie is the coach two years from now...

7 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I understand, but I still find it interesting that Coach Knight puts the blame on a senior guard that the team wasn't ready to play. 

That's the biggest thing I hope people take away from the video. At this point of the season....the players have more responsibility than coaches do. When I watch starts like yesterday that falls squarely on whoever thinks this is their team.

12 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:
Al Durham went on a personal 7-0 run to send Indiana to overtime, and he wasn't done yet. His play likely saved Indiana's season.

Great article.  For whatever reason, Al gets some over the top criticism on this board.  A lot of it is unwarranted.  No, he's not an all-conference performer.  Yes, he has an occasional poor performance.  But, most of the time he is steady.  He's certainly not the biggest question mark we have in the backcourt.  

24 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Great article.  For whatever reason, Al gets some over the top criticism on this board.  A lot of it is unwarranted.  No, he's not an all-conference performer.  Yes, he has an occasional poor performance.  But, most of the time he is steady.  He's certainly not the biggest question mark we have in the backcourt.  

And a lot of it is warranted for a 4 year starter.

15 minutes ago, Southern IN Hoosier said:

I think ole' RP has the yips. There was a free throw in the first half that looked like he was aiming it up there and didn't follow through. Really hope he can get it straightened out. Our best on ball defender but still struggles on the offensive end.

Part of me thinks Rob is too busy looking over his shoulder at KL.

2 minutes ago, Indykev said:

The other thing from the Coach Collins video we all forget about is what all these kids are dealing with as far as covid goes. These kids haven't been home since the summer. They aren't being paid to do that.

I don't think we as fans ( I know I don't) understand how much theses kids are actually dealing with. Not going home. Stay away from students. Stay away from social aspect of being at college. Hoops and hoops only since November 1st.

I think I need to recalibrate how I'm watching the rest of the year.

1 hour ago, tdhoosier said:

Certainly the worst offensive half I've seen from two teams.  If memory serves, it was 0-3 five minutes in.  Shockingly, when they went picture in picture to the Md vs Iowa game, they were 3-3 five minutes in.  B1G was ugly last night.

9 minutes ago, Muddy River said:

Certainly the worst offensive half I've seen from two teams.  If memory serves, it was 0-3 five minutes in.  Shockingly, when they went picture in picture to the Md vs Iowa game, they were 3-3 five minutes in.  B1G was ugly last night.

I don't know...I've watched a ton of B1G games this year, and sluggish, ugly offense seems to be a trend. 

Of course, the defenses have some hand in that too...It's why the B1G is considered the toughest league in the US...

There are no gimmes here...

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

That's the biggest thing I hope people take away from the video. At this point of the season....the players have more responsibility than coaches do. When I watch starts like yesterday that falls squarely on whoever thinks this is their team.

Just my thoughts and concerns. No, I’m not flying a Fire Coach banner behind a red Barron style bi-plane so relax.

•This far into the season and we are still seeing the same product. IMO, that’s on the staff to correct.

•Right now, I see am emerging leader in Aarman. His performances are becoming more consistent. Some kids have the natural ability and motivation to be successful. I’m sure he also thanks his mother for those values.

•Once again, in my opinion, I don’t think it’s ok to atta boy the team when they play like garbage just because they managed to squeak one out. I don’t see how that benefits anyone in the long run. I feel like that promotes a lazy, just enough to get buy culture. Which if you think about it, this team kind of plays to the level of competition which falls right in line with that. 

•I guess maybe I’ve been doing it all wrong. I see kids including my own as sponges. Very impressionable. Generally speaking, able to absorb and process what’s thrown at them and respond with amazing results. If they fail, that starts at the adults guiding them. IMO

•If we are going to blame a pandemic on IUBB woes, how do we explain Gonzaga? The coach as been there and established a culture well before the pandemic. Ok got it. Then explain Illinois and Ohio state. Same conference and same 4 year tenure. Ohio state is staring at a number one seed.

I walked in and turned on TV score was 54 to 47. 1:50 left on the clock.  Then AL really stepped up

This type of win could easily propel this team to a little run. Winning a game that honestly should have lost can make some funny things happen. Loved the fight and confidence AL and AF showed. Could have easily given up and ended with a result we have become too familiar.  It's a win and right now that's all that matters. We found a way to win without a good TJD offensively. 

3 hours ago, HoosierJax said:

Alford was a captain, maybe part of his duties being a leader is was getting players ready to play after the coaches did everything up to that..🤷‍♂️...alot went on behind the scenes and RMK was big on senior leadership 

Yeah, it's just interesting that we accept that as valid coaching from Coach Knight but it's a failure by Coach Miller for that same thing. 

11 hours ago, dgambill said:

I saw some growth from Lander tonight. He made a couple dribble drives one with a beautiful wrap around pass to Geronimo for a dunk and the second he shot a little 15 footer...he missed it but dang that is what we need a guy to get to the middle of the floor and score or create. I’d much rather see him develop that shot even more than the 3pt shot. You don’t have to get all the way to the rim like Rob tries...just beat your man then lift up for a jumper. That starts happening then bigs will come flying out and he will have 10 assist a game waiting for him with Race and Trayce around the rim. Baby steps but they are happening...a whole offseason and I can’t imagine what can happen!

I mean, I completely agree, and the wraparound was magnificent, but Lander isn't someone at this point in the season that you can count on to give you 30 solid minutes of play at the PG position, doing the things I mentioned in my previous post (and I didn't even mentioned defense in that). And that's fine, it's not a good position to be in if you have to depend on a re-classified freshman to lead your team. Problem is, it certainly seems like Rob isn't that guy, either, and I think that's by far the biggest weakness on this team right now.

Overall, the general sentiment is "Not pretty, but it's a win".

It IS a win and that's the bottom line.  However, these type games will get you no further than middle of the pack and that's where we are.

Largely OT, but did anyone else notice the reaction of the NU player, just prior to the start of the game? It looked almost certainly like someone cut the cheese near the center circle - the guy held his nose then pulled his jersey up over his nose, lol.  I prefer to believe it was from the ref who can't execute a proper jump ball toss.

Archived