Northwestern Post-Game Thread

KDB

18 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Last night during the broadcast they were wondering what impact MI’s shutdown will have on the team. They were playing so well. Questions were raised about how much the players and team have been allowed to do during this time 

Your comment highlights the underlying point:  We can't really predict the mental state of a team from one game to the next.  Much less so after long layoff.  Could MI use something in their layoff to motivate them to perform at a high level in spite of the "rust?"     

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Last night during the broadcast they were wondering what impact MI’s shutdown will have on the team. They were playing so well. Questions were raised about how much the players and team have been allowed to do during this time 

My son's HS team is 8-0 and has a great chance to go deep into the playoffs.  They are #1 or #2 in the state for 3A depending on what you want to go by.  About a month ago they got shut down for 14 days.  Now, they make our kids wear masks while playing and the reason we got shut down is that 2 kids on the team we played against tested positive the next day.  One didn't play 15 total minutes in the game.  The other played right at 15 minutes.  The rule in our area is close contact (within 6 feet) for 15 minutes.  There's no way either kids had that with any of our players.  However, they weren't allowed to go to school, practice, or get together in any way for 14 days.  What are they going to do?  Of course they all sought out other places to train and get up shots.  Then they called team get togethers at a neighborhood court.  Is that "safer?"  Absolutely not.  After a few days, a parent called the coach and told him what the boys were doing and he told them no more.  Our first game back we played a team we had previously beaten by 40.  We were up 14-12 after the 1st quarter and struggled to pull away and win by like 19 in the end, but you can understand they're nervous as can be to get shut down right as the playoffs start.  

38 minutes ago, Lizard said:

I think this is a huge factor in quality of play, competitive fire, etc.   The player experience pretty much sucks compared to normal times.  Archie and other coaches have mentioned the fatigue of the routine and I think it shows on all the players and staff.  Thanks to all those people for providing us the luxury of watching them play and pretending it really matters.    

I know for myself to and probably most fans forget all of this during games but we should always remember these are kids and not robots.  They are not here to just entertain us fans but they have lives outside of basketball.

Just go read about what Karl Anthony Towns has gone through with Covid.  He had the virus and sounds like he was really sick with it.  Also he had had 7 family members including his mom die because of Covid.  So to expect him just go out there and play his best is a little unreasonable.

9 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Franklin, Leal and Hunter led the team in +/- with 9, 8 and 7 while Lander was the worst with a -7.

I've talked +/- with my son quite a bit.  At first I thought it was absolutely one of the best measures of how a guy played.  I do think you have to be careful of how many minutes the guy played, when the guy played, and who he played with though.  It can be deceiving.    

3 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

I've talked +/- with my son quite a bit.  At first I thought it was absolutely one of the best measures of how a guy played.  I do think you have to be careful of how many minutes the guy played, when the guy played, and who he played with though.  It can be deceiving.    

No doubt. At the same time it can say a little and a lot. I like that it factors in D and TOs and all the intangibles into a single measure. Last night, Leal outplayed Lander, Race outplayed Trayce, according to the +/- and my eye test backs that up. 

Lander makes a lot of splash plays. Highlight reel stuff....but at the same time many of his mistakes are live ball turnovers or defensive lapses lead to a score by the opponent. He is just high risk high reward kind of player right now. He may have 4 minutes of brilliance and later 4 minutes where you pull your hair out. Very much a freshman...but with the ball in his hands a lot it is compounded. Overall though he has made good steady growth. He was almost unplayable early on and he is definitely capable of giving 3-4 minutes of good ball a half now.

38 minutes ago, Reacher said:

No doubt. At the same time it can say a little and a lot. I like that it factors in D and TOs and all the intangibles into a single measure. Last night, Leal outplayed Lander, Race outplayed Trayce, according to the +/- and my eye test backs that up. 

I was-11 again last night! Maybe that’s the secret I watch until IU goes down by 11 and turn the TV off!

Nah it’s got to be the new Mods’

47 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Lander makes a lot of splash plays. Highlight reel stuff....but at the same time many of his mistakes are live ball turnovers or defensive lapses lead to a score by the opponent. He is just high risk high reward kind of player right now. He may have 4 minutes of brilliance and later 4 minutes where you pull your hair out. Very much a freshman...but with the ball in his hands a lot it is compounded. Overall though he has made good steady growth. He was almost unplayable early on and he is definitely capable of giving 3-4 minutes of good ball a half now.

I agree.  I don't think he is to the point of really being able to play big minutes without hurting us yet, but I do see how he could be very good next season.  

41 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

And yet you are able to do so when you think all of those things fall on the positive side of the ledger.  Funny that.

I made a comment on the determination we played with to win last night.

I thought we played with the same determination in pretty much every game we've played this year, save maybe Texas. I don't buy the "no effort" line.

You can have good effort and lose, you know.

Good win for the Hoosiers! They made winning plays. I see the talk about effort. The team does not lack for effort. We have been in several OT games this year and you don't get to OT without effort. But you lose in OT if you can't make winning plays, What are winning plays. every aspect of the game, with little to no mistakes and hitting shots. 

Way to go Hoosiers! now lets go bust some nuts! 

As much as I was down on Phinisee in the game thread and post game, we also don't win that game without his ball pressure and overall defense the last few minutes and in the OT's. 

Like TJD and even Race, I just wish he played like that all of the time and not wait until desperation time. 

But, his defense was excellent down the stretch. 

5 hours ago, jojo123 said:

Good win for the Hoosiers! They made winning plays. I see the talk about effort. The team does not lack for effort. We have been in several OT games this year and you don't get to OT without effort. But you lose in OT if you can't make winning plays, What are winning plays. every aspect of the game, with little to no mistakes and hitting shots. 

Way to go Hoosiers! now lets go bust some nuts! 

I believe the comments were in regards to consistent effort. If you think we started the game out with effort well...we will just agree to disagree. 
It was great how the guys hung in there and ended up winning but they definitely lacked effort, or seemingly interest in some cases, at the outset.

Archived