Northwestern Post-Game Thread

KDB

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, ButlerHoosier said:

Ok was it me or did the ref that did the tip offs in the overtime throw the ball almost directly over the NW player? Anyway good win. Hopefully this leads to more confidence and makes us strut our stuff more and loosen up!

I noticed that as well.

Couple of thought

1. we outrebounded them by 11 with TJD and Race ineffective at times and TJD with short injury break

2. Rob with only two points the entire game

3. Hunter off the bench with 7 points and 5 rebounds which was unexpected

4. The freshmen with six points only off the bench 

With all those combined with how we ha e played lately would we expect the win. Rebounding was good but all the others would be negatives. Glad we shot free throws better as the game went on especially in OTs. 

21 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

If people just post their thoughts and nobody responds to it then why have a message board.

Glad you asked.  This board exists for my entertainment.  I have 37 different screen names, including several that might surprise you.  57% of the quoted responses on this board are actually me responding to myself.   

16 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

Even with all 0s he should be in the box score. ESPN must've screwed up because he's definitely not on there.

His back injury has really set him back this year. That's a shame. Or maybe his lack of outside shooting would've resulted in reduced playing time anyways and the back just made it even more drastic.

He played...stood in the corner and I think had a turnover even. He didn’t look like he felt right.

2 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

I wasn't aware of that. I usually only look after they've had time to update it with the minutes.

I think they may eventually add a player in with no stats to balance out the minutes.  But, I remember a game earlier this year where Leal played a 6-7 minute stretch with no stats and never made it into the box during that time.  I think later in the game he picked up a foul or something and then finally appeared.

A win is a win.

In my opinion, Archie's mark on the program so far has been inconsistency.  Really that has been the program going back to Crean as well.  However, if a coach is going to turn things around, there is always that time you can point to where the turn around started.  This was an awful game from an aesthetic view, but it was a game where we gutted out a win after being basically dead and buried twice.  I keep waiting for the light to go on with some of our guys (this isn't an all Archie problem IMO) and maybe something like this starts to do it for them.  The tournament is a possibility, is this finally a turning point?  We will see.

This was ugly and there are a bunch of teachable moments in this game.  It is nice to have those teachable moments in a game where we actually won and it was nice not to be the slump buster for once.

A win is a win.  I will take an ugly one over a pretty loss any day.

7 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Good thing is 2 wins. Tough one Saturday for sure...but with Minnesota and Sparty coming to town we could go on the 4/5 stretch I've been begging for since last week. 

I think OSU will be a good matchup for us. They are a very good team but don’t scare me as much overall. With the two following I’m hoping for a nice winning streak going forward. I know that is optimistic but winning a game after beating a top 25 team sounds like a win streak coming. 

Finally, FINALLY I saw some shooting with some I don't give a $hit attitude. You have to take and keep taking outside shots to win. They started hitting them and the guards got some confidence. This team is consistent guard play away from being a consistent winner. When the guards play "normal" they win. Rob is a mystery. Al finally showed up, I have been really down on him; he and Franklin were the MVPs. 

10 minutes ago, Hoosier Daddy 4 said:

I think OSU will be a good matchup for us. They are a very good team but don’t scare me as much overall. With the two following I’m hoping for a nice winning streak going forward. I know that is optimistic but winning a game after beating a top 25 team sounds like a win streak coming. 

I've watched very little of them.  How is their dribble penetration?  This team goes as they are able to contain.  

Well, it’s a W, I guess. I don’t like saying this, because it’s kind of harsh and i really like the kid, but if CAM ends up getting fired in the next year or two, a significant reason will be not developing RP into a PG that can penetrate and consistently hit shots. This team is desperate for that, and Lander just isn’t there yet. 

Archived