Northwestern Post-Game Thread

KDB

27 minutes ago, BGleas said:

You're not going to believe this, but I played against that dude in college. He played at Lynn University and we took a trip to Florida over the holidays and played against his team. 

Kevin Bacon played for Lynn University!!! Dang the 7 degrees of Kevin Bacon really is true!! I’ve got to go google his stats..bet he was like the Steph Curry of his time.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Reacher said:

I watched the game. The whole game.  A game we should have won, a game we haven't won 2 of the last 9 times, a game we almost didn't, but, somehow we did.  And I'm glad I did watch. I saw Geronimo with a few nice plays including a dunk on a slick pass from Lander. In a game when our guards were forced to take over, 2 of the 3 of them did just that. No idea what is up with Rob but CAM seemed happy with him as they walked out off the floor.

Listening to a few minutes of the second half on Chicago radio, I was surprised how often Leal had his name mentioned. It was like we were playing 2 on 5.  It seems the luck factor just tipped slightly our way tonight.  Hope the team had some Lou Malnattis for a post game dinner and can continue this momentum Sat.

He was happy because he told him to foul on that last play and Rob fouled the guy as he was shooting and got away with it. 

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

In game coaching and play calling by Archie in the last 10 mins of game and OT was really good. Team preparation and having them ready to play not great. This game was a microcosm of our entire season. Lucky we played who we did tonight because most other teams in the B1G would have blown us out.

But see, I actually don’t think they would because we continually play to our competition. I think if we’d played UM tonight we’d have had an entirely different energy and that’s what’s so frustrating about this team. 

Thought it was funny timing. February 12th , 1987. IU escapes with a win at Northwestern. Knight lights up his leader Alford. Folks can you Youtube.....but his comments after the game were priceless. Not a good team was the message.

No clue what tonight brought us. I love wins....but man. One of these days has to be easier right??

I did not get to watch it live, and have only watched the first half so far, but I thought we played with great energy. I am not joking. I suppose that most of your frustration could be about the second half, but I honestly did not think we played that bad in the first half (maybe it's just because I know that we won)

We shot terribly in the the first fifteen minutes, but our defensive energy was great with really crisp switches and good positioning. Very strong one on one defense in the post. Much better in transition defense too. Northwestern had to hit some tough shots and get some lucky bounces to have the lead they did when with our terrible shooting.

Offensively we missed free throws, layups, and wide open threes, but our ball movement was great and our post entries were as good as I have seen them all year. Take away over penetration (one by Durham, one by Franklin, one by Galloway) and two just completely errant passes, and we were getting whatever we wanted offensively, we just weren't finishing. 

You guys made it sound terrible...but I am being completely honest, I thought we were ready to go in most ways of thinking about it, just not putting the ball in the basket.

If you can, watch it again and look for things beyond missing shots...After reading your thoughts, I was expecting a really bad first half...

3 minutes ago, mchenry34 said:

I did not get to watch it live, and have only watched the first half so far, but I thought we played with great energy. I am not joking. I suppose that most of your frustration could be about the second half, but I honestly did not think we played that bad in the first half (maybe it's just because I know that we won)

We shot terribly in the the first fifteen minutes, but our defensive energy was great with really crisp switches and good positioning. Very strong one on one defense in the post. Much better in transition defense too. Northwestern had to hit some tough shots and get some lucky bounces to have the lead they did when with our terrible shooting.

Offensively we missed free throws, layups, and wide open threes, but our ball movement was great and our post entries were as good as I have seen them all year. Take away over penetration (one by Durham, one by Franklin, one by Galloway) and two just completely errant passes, and we were getting whatever we wanted offensively, we just weren't finishing. 

You guys made it sound terrible...but I am being completely honest, I thought we were ready to go in most ways of thinking about it, just not putting the ball in the basket.

If you can, watch it again and look for things beyond missing shots...After reading your thoughts, I was expecting a really bad first half...

Make shots = Great coach

Missed shot = horrible coach

Think it was Jeff van Gundy that has said that repeatedly. 

39 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Thought it was funny timing. February 12th , 1987. IU escapes with a win at Northwestern. Knight lights up his leader Alford. Folks can you Youtube.....but his comments after the game were priceless. Not a good team was the message.

No clue what tonight brought us. I love wins....but man. One of these days has to be easier right??

I really hope so. 

This?

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

He was happy because he told him to foul on that last play and Rob fouled the guy as he was shooting and got away with it. 

He wasn't shooting unless you thought their plan was to shoot a half court shot with 4 seconds to go. He got fouled and then acted like he was shooting

2 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I really hope so. 

This?

Interesting that Coach put it squarely on his senior guard to have the guys ready. 

Curious how some of the folks who aren't fond of Archie and long for the days of Knight would react to that? Was the great Bob Knight wrong about who needs to get up for the game? 

34 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Interesting that Coach put it squarely on his senior guard to have the guys ready. 

Curious how some of the folks who aren't fond of Archie and long for the days of Knight would react to that? Was the great Bob Knight wrong about who needs to get up for the game? 

I was only referencing the coincidence that IU barely beat NW on Feb 12. 

Gritty and ugly win: beautiful!

To become a consistently good team, winning ugly is vital.  IU shot 35% on the road to a team that gave them fits at home...and won. 

Win Saturday and THE PLAYERS may start to believe they can win every time out...then we could become dangerous.  Confidence, defense and outside shooting are keys for this bunch.  

49 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

Did CAM threaten them at halftime to start hitting free throws?  Something happened during halftime.  

A win is a win but dang you ALMOST lost to Northwestern AGAIN.  Onto the next.  

There was a glow coming from our locker room at halftime...

giphy.gif

5 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I understand, but I still find it interesting that Coach Knight puts the blame on a senior guard that the team wasn't ready to play. 

Alford was a captain, maybe part of his duties being a leader is was getting players ready to play after the coaches did everything up to that..🤷‍♂️...alot went on behind the scenes and RMK was big on senior leadership 

Archived