Ohio State Pre Game Thread

IUFLA

When: Saturday, February 13th 12 noon EST  ESPN

Where: Value City Arena, Columbus, Ohio

Roster:osu.png.c24bf322a4b23aaa79b6e6ede49fe56a.png

The top 5 kids are the current starters. 

@Hoosier Daddy 4 said in the Northwestern post game that OSU is a good match up for us, and I agree. They don't have a real "big" the kind that give TJD and Race problems (see Northwestern or Myles Johnson of Rutgers). 

Duane Washington Jr is their leading scorer, but he can be really streaky. 

EJ Liddell seems to play better against bigger players...the 6'10-6'11 guys. He seems to have issues against athletic kids that are his size.

We CANNOT leave Justin Ahrens. He's a really good spot up 3 point shooter (48%) with a quick release. He can put them on a run all by himself, and he's not bashful shooting it.

Towns, Sueing, and CJ Walker can all shoot it fairly well, although their numbers aren't great.

I'm really looking forward to the Race Thompson-Kyle Young match up. Young does for them what Race does for us...and he's a tough cookie. 

The last 2 years, the OSU games have been seminal to our season. Archie's second year, the meeting in the BTT was basically a play in game for the NCAA, and our loss relegated us to the NIT. Last year, we split with them, each team winning at home.

We can win this one, but our D, especially on the perimeter, and especially on Washington and Ahrens, HAS to be there...

Stats:

OSU2.PNG.49a603658f38a6e1b6d2450bce7e8053.PNG

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ohio St is NOT a top 5 team.  That ranking is hilarious and they are nowhere near that talented.  I agree we can beat them.  

One thing that wins them games though - FT shooting - look at that team % and the percentage of their top 4 in attempts (.755, .750, .875, .966).  That will win a lot of close games. 

I've not seen much of OSU this year.  But, given they are a balanced team that shoots fairly well and limits turnovers, I think we will have a hard time beating them.  Because of their size, our guards may have some trouble on the boards, so Race and TJD have to come up big there.  We could play one of our best games of the year and potentially still lose.  That said, a win here would be huge and mean much more than the 2 Iowa wins when it is all said and done.

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I've not seen much of OSU this year.  But, given they are a balanced team that shoots fairly well and limits turnovers, I think we will have a hard time beating them.  Because of their size, our guards may have some trouble on the boards, so Race and TJD have to come up big there.  We could play one of our best games of the year and potentially still lose.  That said, a win here would be huge and mean much more than the 2 Iowa wins when it is all said and done.

To date, I feel our biggest game of the year.

5 minutes ago, rico said:

From what little I hear from my Bucknut friends, they say tOSU's weak spot is the PG position.  Take that fwiw.

They've had Sueing running it lately...And he's NOT a PG...

CJ Walker was injured (hand) and out for a while, but when he came back, they had been playing well, so Holtmann stuck with Sueing...

When Ohio St lost twice to Purdue as well as getting beat by Northwestern and Minnesota....I was trying to find a common theme in those 4 losses. Only thing I can really find is what causes every team in the country to lose. Poor shooting. Not sure what those teams did defensively to have a hand in that.

I expect monster follow up games from TJD/Race. Armaan will get his. Would love for Hunter to have a semi homecoming party from deep. Otherwise head over there and let it rip. No pressure. 

12 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

They've had Sueing running it lately...And he's NOT a PG...

CJ Walker was injured (hand) and out for a while, but when he came back, they had been playing well, so Holtmann stuck with Sueing...

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

When Ohio St lost twice to Purdue as well as getting beat by Northwestern and Minnesota....I was trying to find a common theme in those 4 losses. Only thing I can really find is what causes every team in the country to lose. Poor shooting. Not sure what those teams did defensively to have a hand in that.

I expect monster follow up games from TJD/Race. Armaan will get his. Would love for Hunter to have a semi homecoming party from deep. Otherwise head over there and let it rip. No pressure. 

I did not see any of those games.  But I will say Purdue plays stellar defense...something I feel we do as well.  

1 minute ago, bluegrassIU said:

As much as a loss could have been the nail in our coffin last night, a win at OSU can change the perception of the season in the other direction. 

This league, this year....every game seems to have meaning.

Let's GIT-R-DUN, we can do this.

54 minutes ago, rico said:

I did not see any of those games.  But I will say Purdue plays stellar defense...something I feel we do as well.  

Yep...the other take away from OSU's two losses to Purdue are Trevion Williams was Purdue's leading scorer in both games...the first one off the bench...

We gotta go inside on them...

It’s amazing.  We got hosed at Wisconsin.  We had a great opportunity in OT at home with Illinois.  The first Northwestern game was a farce in terms of our attitude.  We are an eyelash away from 8-4 or 9-3.   We do have solid pieces. 

Ohio State is very well put together.  EJ and Washington are darn good.  Their pieces fit together nicely other than PG.  But we have good pieces too.  I’m looking forward to hopefully a good showing by our team.  

As Seeking6 keeps pointing out, I think we can have a decent surge here.   

PS I hope we get Wisconsin and Illinois in the B1G tourney.  They’d represent a great opportunity and beating them is something I think we can absolutely do.    

One other note...

3 of OSU's contributors are transfers...CJ Walker was a starter on Leonard Hamilton's FSU Elite 8 team in 2018...Seth Towns was the Ivy League POY in 2018...and Justice Sueing transferred to OSU after averaging double digit points in his 2 years at Cal...

Just now, IUFLA said:

One other note...

3 of OSU's contributors are transfers...CJ Walker was a starter on Leonard Hamilton's FSU Elite 8 team in 2018...Seth Towns was the Ivy League POY in 2018...and Justice Sueing transferred to OSU after averaging double digit points in his 2 years at Cal...

Great point.  Coach Holtman, like Chris Beard, does a great job looking at his roster for the following season and getting answers for where holes might lie, much like a baseball GM trying to figure out who will man the hot corner.  They lost a lot from last year but he’s covered his roster nicely.  

1 minute ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Every pregame thread I think I post something about getting off to a good start in the game and then we don't.  I'm going to try some reverse psychology here.  I hope we get down 15 early.  

That would be a normal start...

5 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Every pregame thread I think I post something about getting off to a good start in the game and then we don't.  I'm going to try some reverse psychology here.  I hope we get down 15 early.  

So true, we even did it in OT.  Maybe someone hypnotized the players that whenever they see a jump ball, they have a reaction to immediately become incompetent.  The power of suggestion. 

3 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

This is the schedule poster in Little Keet’s room. Apparently we have a new player on the team. I’m hoping he can contribute some on Saturday. Everyone welcome Baby Yoda to the roster. 

DA7C8262-8129-4A57-A478-F6CE367E2FC5.jpeg

As bad as I hate to say this, when Archie pulls his mask down and his ears flop, HE looks like Baby Yoda...

"Do or do not. There is no try."

Archived