Ohio State Pre Game Thread

IUFLA

33 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

I think some of you are looking into things a little to much. I don’t think the players have a problem with Archie at all. I actually think they get along with him really well. There have been times I’ve actually wished Archie would be a little harder on them. My biggest concern with Archie is he seems to be too stubborn at times and sticks with things/players/Rotations to long before adjusting and making a change. 

On the flipside here though, he may have a group of freshmen finishing the half, going on big runs, etc ... but that group won’t start the second half.   But, he’s relied on his veterans the last two games .... and they pulled out two victories.   

I don’t see him starting Lander over Rob at this point in the season, but the leash may be shorter than normal for RP. 

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Bustout said:

On the flipside here though, he may have a group of freshmen finishing the half, going on big runs, etc ... but that group won’t start the second half.   But, he’s relied on his veterans the last two games .... and they pulled out two victories.   

I don’t see him starting Lander over Rob at this point in the season, but the leash may be shorter than normal for RP. 

Lander should not be starting. He is playing the exact role he should. He is contributing more and more. But not ready to start in this conference yet.

He will be a star, we need to be patient. 

23 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

Lander should not be starting. He is playing the exact role he should. He is contributing more and more. But not ready to start in this conference yet.

Im on board with that, but if there are any potential changes to the starting lineup, do you think it would be him or someone else?  

I think his pace gives the offense a boost, but a drop off in D from Rob   

My commentary was just in regards to slow starts and any possible change.  I personally don’t see Rob being taken out of starting lineup  

4 minutes ago, Bustout said:

Im on board with that, but if there are any potential changes to the starting lineup, do you think it would be him or someone else?  

I think his pace gives the offense a boost, but a drop off in D from Rob   

My commentary was just in regards to slow starts and any possible change.  I personally don’t see Rob being taken out of starting lineup  

I don't see it either but I would like to see KL with the starters though 

20 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Yes it was...

I'm guessing just like Beilein said, keep working and effect the game in other ways.  Like when he digs on d.  Probably the best perimeter helper on the team, very disruptive helping down.  

I want him to get blazing hot.  Shooting is so much about confidence.  I've told this silly story but in Afghanistan we had a gym and had leagues, tourneys, and even 3 point contest.  I was just above avg but that day I was hot.  I told my guys shooting around that morning I was going to win.  First round solid, 2nd round finished hitting last 5 of 6, finals just crushed it.  Can't remember exactly but it was like I could close my eyes it felt so easy and perfect.  

Here's the deal, he's putting up shots.  At some point there will be a little click go off in his brain and like @mchenry34 talked about, Rob won't be waiting for the ball to go in, he's going to walk into the gym and put the ball in.  When his confidence clicks this team will take a massive leap.  Try leaving Trayce alone if all the sudden this streaky backcourt is all hitting 40% + 

Heard a story of the Wisconsin guys breaking a shooting machine.  Ours guys better be doing the same thing.  

1 hour ago, bluegrassIU said:

Not sure Rob should be starting either though.  And, that's the problem.  

7 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I'm guessing just like Beilein said, keep working and effect the game in other ways.  Like when he digs on d.  Probably the best perimeter helper on the team, very disruptive helping down.  

I want him to get blazing hot.  Shooting is so much about confidence.  I've told this silly story but in Afghanistan we had a gym and had leagues, tourneys, and even 3 point contest.  I was just above avg but that day I was hot.  I told my guys shooting around that morning I was going to win.  First round solid, 2nd round finished hitting last 5 of 6, finals just crushed it.  Can't remember exactly but it was like I could close my eyes it felt so easy and perfect.  

Here's the deal, he's putting up shots.  At some point there will be a little click go off in his brain and like @mchenry34 talked about, Rob won't be waiting for the ball to go in, he's going to walk into the gym and put the ball in.  When his confidence clicks this team will take a massive leap.  Try leaving Trayce alone if all the sudden this streaky backcourt is all hitting 40% + 

Heard a story of the Wisconsin guys breaking a shooting machine.  Ours guys better be doing the same thing.  

Like this post so much...

The Larry Bird of Afghanistan! Thanks for your service!

I heard that Wisconsin story too...Micah Potter I think it was...

18 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

Franklin, Durham and either Jerome or Galloway. If not Phinisee. 

Can we start Jerome considering our front court depth?

Rob has had his offensive issues as we all know, but I haven't seen it affect his defense...and I think it'll be important Saturday to let OSU and particularly Duane Washington Jr know early that they're going to be guarded closely all day...and I think Rob gets that assignment...

14 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Can we start Jerome considering our front court depth?

Rob has had his offensive issues as we all know, but I haven't seen it affect his defense...and I think it'll be important Saturday to let OSU and particularly Duane Washington Jr know early that they're going to be guarded closely all day...and I think Rob gets that assignment...

Probably not. 

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

Was that end of game, like running to the locker room? 

Can you imagine if Rob gets hot the next 15 or so games, 😜.

That was at the end of the game and Archie and him both knew he got lucky the foul called wasn’t on the 3 point shot attempt at half court I presume. They were both laughing. That’s my take from watching it in real time on tv. Also a kudos and good job, but wow we squeaked that out. 

4 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Took this off my DVR...

I thought it was interesting that Archie picked the kid who had the worst game to grab onto...

PXL_20210212_205104438_MP.thumb.jpg.ed71f63c2710dd0f4d8cfc96a9b4b56a.jpg

I think you are reading too much into it. I don’t think he picked Rob over Al or anyone...he loves all his kids and I think he was super happy to get out of there with a win because he knows they stole one they didn’t deserve for 35 mins. Rob just so happened to be the guy next to him. Just my opinion.

2 hours ago, Hoosierfan1215 said:

That was at the end of the game and Archie and him both knew he got lucky the foul called wasn’t on the 3 point shot attempt at half court I presume. They were both laughing. That’s my take from watching it in real time on tv. Also a kudos and good job, but wow we squeaked that out. 

Exactly this....Archie called for a foul and trusted Rob to do it and it should have backfired because the guy was shooting when he fouled him. We all got lucky now let’s get out of here!

49 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I think you are reading too much into it. I don’t think he picked Rob over Al or anyone...he loves all his kids and I think he was super happy to get out of there with a win because he knows they stole one they didn’t deserve for 35 mins. Rob just so happened to be the guy next to him. Just my opinion.

Maybe...But if you watch the whole sequence, while everyone else was out hugging Al, Archie ran to catch Rob...

And I do think all those kids think he has their back...

Archived