What would you consider a success?

KoB2011

We are currently sitting at 11-8, (6-6) with 6 regular season games to play. What needs to happen for you to consider this season a success? 

To clarify, I'm not talking big picture what you consider a successful season, but more so given all the factors we've had to deal with this season, where we are to this point, and knowing where we have been in the past few seasons, what do you need to see to feel good about the direction we are heading as a program?

For me, the floor would be to make the tournament. I think that would require 2-4 and a BTT win. But to feel really good about the momentum we take into next season, I'd like to see us go 3-3 and win at least 1 game in the BTT and the NCAAT. 

What about you? 

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Making the tourney. This has been a wild year with with less practices, shortened tough schedule, close losses, 5 OT games, pitchforks lit by fans, but this team hasn't quit. I honestly think they could win a couple of games in the tourney if they make it. Would LOVE one more upset of ranked team and any sort of run in the BTT. 

To really feel good about momentum heading into next season? Like really feel good?

I want to see IU go 4-2 over these next 6 and win at least 1 in the BTT. Tall task with 3 of them on the road and 4 against ranked teams, but to really feel good (focusing on that statement) about momentum that is what I'd like to see. 

To still feel Archie can pull this off and him getting this going, I would say 3-3 with a BTT win would do that. 

Under either of those scenarios I'm assuming its enough to make the tournament. 

But, I think Archie could use some momentum and some rebuilt capital with certain segments of the fanbase, and a successful run (4-2) these last 6 regular season games would go a long way to accomplishing that. 

After two years of being sub 0.500 in the B1G, I have maintained all year my minimum expectation for this year was to finish worst case scenario at 0.500 in B1G play, preferably above 0.500.  That conference mark easily puts us in the tournament.  Anything below 0.500 in B1G play would IMO be a major failure and leave me in a negative frame of mind heading into the off season.  

I am not going to frame my comments from a W/L perspective.

I simply continue to like the trajectory the program is now on. It is obviously too slow for many fans and I accept I may have a minority view, but I continue to like what I am seeing.  I have found all of the discussions of fire CAM quite off putting.

The inconsistency is in my opinion due to youth and it starts with CAM himself. It never seems to be mentioned that he is also young and I think still growing in his role and adapting to his chosen profession as a P5 HC.  

I love our FR class and am looking forward to seeing them grow as well but they are still FR.  We all know what Wooden stated about FR in his era.I REALLY appreciate the character of the young men CAM has recruited to this point.  I think they are represent IU well.  I also love when they mention how much they want to be at IU.  That means the world to me as a fan and supporter. I cannot support a return to the Sampson days no matter the calber of the recruit.

I see this team improving slowly thru the year.  Our main concern Offense and scoring are improving.  FT %, 3pt % are increasing as the season progresses. Defense continues to improve.  I don't want to return to the Crean days on this matter.

We criticize the team for lack of effort when in reality it is being confused with lack of execution.  The O CAM has the team playing is generating open shots.  The players simply been slow in capitalizing on that fact.  The D can be an absolute  beauty to watch when executed correctly as they did the 2nd half of the Iowa game.  Again, the inconsistency we've seen is a result of youth from the FR and lack of confidence in our senior guards.  

I simply want the team to continue to improve.  I want RP to regain his confidence find his Alpha male mindset.  I want AL to continue to play like a senior.  I want AF to heal his ankle and continue his improvement.  I want TJD to develop an 15ft outside shot and go to the bucket with authority EVERY SHOT. I want RT to be more aggressive offensively and develop a 3pt shot.  I want the FR to learn from the players in front of them.  

Continued improvement is all I need to see to call the program successful.  The W's and L's will take care of themselves and as fans we will be excited for our team.

.500 or better in the B1G, makeup games with MSU and Michigan included...at least 1 win in the BTT, and a first round win in the NCAA tournament would give us some momentum going into next year...

As I've repeatedly said, I think next year we break out...If TJD stays, I think we can win a B1G championship and go deep into the tourney...

My only expectation is to make the tournament. I was listening to Assembly Call radio this morning and Ryan said it really well. He said that this season feels like an extension of last year due to how the season ended. If we make the tournament we can feel Archie made the tournament 2 out of 4 years, but if we miss it this year the narrative will be that we missed the tournament all 4 years. Just gotta make it. 

12 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

You need to check your history...that never happened...

Meant Sweet 16s.  Opps.  Whenever I think of UCLA I remember Howland being fired after taking them to 3 straight FFs.  And Alford being fired after getting them to 3 Sweet 16s yet the jackasses on ESPN called us nut jobs for firing Crean.

Sweet 16.

Seriously.  Going into the season, just making the NCAA was my minimum expectation.  To be a 'success', we have to exceed that.

For that to happen, the finish to the regular season has to mirror what many of you are listing.  And. at least 1 BTT win is also likely required.  I honestly think we need 15 wins if we DON'T make up the two postponements, and 16 if we do.  SO, say we don't make them up. 3-3 to finish regular season and 1-1 in the BTT should do it.  Needless to say, a win against Minnesota is a must.  If there is a bid-crunch, they would be our main competition from the Big Ten.  

Wrapped in all of that, I think it's imperative that the Freshmen finish strong as a springboard into next season.  Let's face it, the future success of our program over the next 3-5 years is tied to that class.  

Floor is tournament....not making it and I’m on we need new leadership/coach committee. We make it but lose first rd to me that isn’t signaling up just status quo and questions will still remain for Archie. Win one and compete in the next is my expectations coming into the year. S16 and above and I can say I would feel good about the direction of the program. I just felt coming into the year we should be able to compete and advance in the tournament and I still think that should be our expectations.

Archived