What would you consider a success?

KoB2011

Just now, IUFLA said:

Only the same over wrought hand wringers that consider every game a "must win" and call our team garbage if we lose...

Y'all know who you are...

Don't know if you think I do that, but I definitely don't.  I don't see this game as a must win at all BTW.  I have also never called our team garbage, but you may just be replying in general.  I personally have no problem with the "sunshine pumpers."  I actually kind of don't like that people use that term.  Nothing wrong with being optimistic.  I am just not unfortunately for me as a fan.  Makes it tough!  My only problem is with the people who attack others every time they have the audacity to say something critical or pessimistic and then they themselves scream to fire the coach and burn the village when we have one bad half only to return to sunshine pumping after the next win.  Always good to see you though FLA!  Go Hoosiers!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, NCHoosier32 said:

Don't know if you think I do that, but I definitely don't.  I don't see this game as a must win at all BTW.  I have also never called our team garbage, but you may just be replying in general.  I personally have no problem with the "sunshine pumpers."  I actually kind of don't like that people use that term.  Nothing wrong with being optimistic.  I am just not unfortunately for me as a fan.  Makes it tough!  My only problem is with the people who attack others every time they have the audacity to say something critical or pessimistic and then they themselves scream to fire the coach and burn the village when we have one bad half only to return to sunshine pumping after the next win.  Always good to see you though FLA!  Go Hoosiers!

Not pointing you out specifically, but you do seem to think some games are a "must win" when in reality they aren't. A certain loss might make it tougher to achieve our goals, but there are really only 2 or 3 games a year that are "must win" situations...

I don't mind criticism of the team or the coach at all...as long as it's based in fact and not just a "perception." I see too many general terms thrown around when we're struggling...If people point to a specific instance and can give a reason beyond their "feelings" I'm all ears. But I am going to challenge statements that I think have no merit. Isn't that kinda why there's a forum in the first place?

But I see the reality. A lot of people put down the team when they're struggling as their defense of their feelings. People for some reason don't like close games because of the adrenaline rush it produces (not me...I love that feeling) so anything less than a 20 point lead gets them edgy. And the edgy say some pretty incredible things. 

We'll have to finish strong and win several post-season games to meet my idea of success.  I've felt all along that after 3 full seasons there are no longer any excuses and I stick by that.

I see some posts that cite a .500 record and honestly that kind of makes me sad.  Literally that's saying mediocrity is success 😟

13 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

We'll have to finish strong and win several post-season games to meet my idea of success.  I've felt all along that after 3 full seasons there are no longer any excuses and I stick by that.

I see some posts that cite a .500 record and honestly that kind of makes me sad.  Literally that's saying mediocrity is success 😟

I don't think anybody is saying that's acceptable as the norm...It's simply acceptable at this point for a variety of reasons. One is the strength of the league. I don't know if you watched last night, but a Nebraska team that hasn't won a B1G all year took 6th ranked Illinois to OT. There are no gimmes in our league.

No one here, least of all myself, are going to sit here year after year and be placated by a .500 record. It's my feeling we're building toward exactly what we want...it just takes time...

20 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

We are currently sitting at 11-8, (6-6) with 6 regular season games to play. What needs to happen for you to consider this season a success? 

To clarify, I'm not talking big picture what you consider a successful season, but more so given all the factors we've had to deal with this season, where we are to this point, and knowing where we have been in the past few seasons, what do you need to see to feel good about the direction we are heading as a program?

For me, the floor would be to make the tournament. I think that would require 2-4 and a BTT win. But to feel really good about the momentum we take into next season, I'd like to see us go 3-3 and win at least 1 game in the BTT and the NCAAT. 

What about you? 

I would agree with you. ANYTHING less than what you mentioned I have zero faith. If what you’re asking for happens I VERY cautiously go into next season with an open mind.

52 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Not pointing you out specifically, but you do seem to think some games are a "must win" when in reality they aren't. A certain loss might make it tougher to achieve our goals, but there are really only 2 or 3 games a year that are "must win" situations...

I don't mind criticism of the team or the coach at all...as long as it's based in fact and not just a "perception." I see too many general terms thrown around when we're struggling...If people point to a specific instance and can give a reason beyond their "feelings" I'm all ears. But I am going to challenge statements that I think have no merit. Isn't that kinda why there's a forum in the first place?

But I see the reality. A lot of people put down the team when they're struggling as their defense of their feelings. People for some reason don't like close games because of the adrenaline rush it produces (not me...I love that feeling) so anything less than a 20 point lead gets them edgy. And the edgy say some pretty incredible things. 

LOL.  Not letting you rope me in today brother.  Go Hoosiers!

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I don't think anybody is saying that's acceptable as the norm...It's simply acceptable at this point for a variety of reasons. One is the strength of the league. I don't know if you watched last night, but a Nebraska team that hasn't won a B1G all year took 6th ranked Illinois to OT. There are no gimmes in our league.

No one here, least of all myself, are going to sit here year after year and be placated by a .500 record. It's my feeling we're building toward exactly what we want...it just takes time...

Our goal is to be among the elites nationally.  We're not even close to being among the top 5 in the conference.  Over the past many decades there have been a lot of seasons when the B10 was stacked, arguably moreso than this season at least at the top.  We weren't satisfied with being lower than second or third then.

I don't know how many "gimme games" there have ever been in conference.  We've had to fight for our lives against lesser teams many times (the Parkhill years at PSU, when Ricky Olsen was at Wisconsin, even NU when they has maybe a single good player on their team like E. Eschmeyer).   Additionally, it's not like we've been playing great or very good basketball in our games.  

Maybe the big ten is just simply "solid" from top to bottom this year.  IDK, butwe'll see how well the league acquits itself in March.

Yes.  It does require time to build a top program and we're obviously not there yet.  CAM will almost certainly get this and next season, but while the trajectory seems to be upward, the "slope" isn't very steep.  It's arguably flatter than the Crean tenure.  

Archived