Big Ten 2021

7 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

Cracks me up how Frost puts Nebraska with Alabama.  It is fun to do if you have a competent coach who is trying to bring back a once storied program.  A coach who has been failing at it for 3 years saying it is just idiotic.  Dude is so clueless.

I saw the McCafferys were talking trash about Frost.  One of them posted a screenshot of Frost's Wikipedia page and circled the part about him transferring from Stanford to Nebraska.

I hope Nebraska makes a bowl and keeps Frost around.  5 minutes of listening to that moron, and you can tell he'll never get them back to being good on a consistent basis.

I’ll mourn the firing of Scott Frost on the level that I mourned the firing of Danny Hope.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I posted that in the 2022 thread. Excellent data, doesn't mean a ton, but it certainly interesting. 

At first glance of the data it tells me a few things. Has to be a correlation between number of offers, % of commits...and % of offers who actually commit when compared to other P5 offers.

I look at Illinois and Purdue for example. Throwing whatever is out there and hoping it sticks to what is perceived as well below P5 talent grades. This seems like the Bill Lynch way of recruiting. The Iowa numbers I get because Ferentz has always done his own thing. 

Interesting numbers to me are Michigan and Penn St. The numbers say they are only offering the guys they know they'll get because they've stepped down in class a bit and want to avoid the public no thanks that comes with recruiting. The % to closure rate is so high. 

Our numbers suggest a program on the rise. We're offering guys we've typically never offered....yet still closing at 50%. Instead of competing with the past....we've stepped up in class and to still hit at 50% is pretty big to me.

Rambling thoughts on my end but man. I'd love to be in the Big 10 West right now. Thanks to you guys for posting this. Really, really good data. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Hoosier82 said:

I think a Penn St for Illinois or Purdue is a fair swap

How could that make sense? PSU is farther east than 4 schools in our division. 

IMO, the only realignment that would make sense and maybe better divide the power programs, would be to go North/South.

South would include Maryland, OSU, IU, Purdue, Illinois, Nebraska and either Penn State or Iowa.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

IMO, the only realignment that would make sense and maybe better divide the power programs, would be to go North/South.

South would include Maryland, OSU, IU, Purdue, Illinois, Nebraska and either Penn State or Iowa.

You forgot about Rutgers.

Michigan and Sparty to the North(West)....Purdue and Illinois to the South(East).

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Because it’s based on progam talent and not geography. I already mentioned in another thred that the north/south is the only geo based method that works but as others have pointed out, even that only does so if IU and Rutgers continue to improve and stay consistent. 

Edited by Hoosier82

Just my two cents. Only way this realignment works is for us to switch with either Illinois or Purdue....of course if we did that our crossover game every year would be with Ohio St or Michigan instead of just Iowa or Wisconsin. 

Hope the Big looks at this from a SEC perspective. Best way to promote the conference and have as many teams as possible in playoff discussion. Right now it's Ohio St..........and maybe one more team. Fair or not Big 10 West is perceived weak. Big 10 needs to create a platform where the loser of the Big 10 title game still might have a chance at playoffs. Just like the SEC does. 

10 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Just my two cents. Only way this realignment works is for us to switch with either Illinois or Purdue....of course if we did that our crossover game every year would be with Ohio St or Michigan instead of just Iowa or Wisconsin. 

Hope the Big looks at this from a SEC perspective. Best way to promote the conference and have as many teams as possible in playoff discussion. Right now it's Ohio St..........and maybe one more team. Fair or not Big 10 West is perceived weak. Big 10 needs to create a platform where the loser of the Big 10 title game still might have a chance at playoffs. Just like the SEC does. 

Remember, the SEC only plays 8 conference games.

17 minutes ago, rico said:

Remember, the SEC only plays 8 conference games.

Yep....and I agree with that because it's a simple approach to make sure one of their members (or two) plays for a national championship every year. 

Who knows what that actual 1 game per year does in football. I know what 20 conference games in hoops does to our league (wears them down). 

23 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Yep....and I agree with that because it's a simple approach to make sure one of their members (or two) plays for a national championship every year. 

Who knows what that actual 1 game per year does in football. I know what 20 conference games in hoops does to our league (wears them down). 

Both of these are good points on basketball and football. If the B1G wants to get serious about leveling the playing field with the SEC, we need to play by the same rules. 

We put ourselves at a distinct disadvantage by playing more conference games. They use their 4th non-com game in football almost as another bye week.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Couldn't they just realign each year based on previous years records?  

3 hours ago, Reacher said:

Is there actually any talk / realistic chance of a realignment or is this all just wishful fan thinking?

Wishful thinking as far as I know.  However, I suspect if IU sustains what we are developing, the bitching from Ann Arbor, East Lansing, and State College/Happy Valley will be palpable.  And I don't mean by fans, I mean by people with a vote in the matter.  Just a prediction.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Wishful thinking as far as I know.  However, I suspect if IU sustains what we are developing, the bitching from Ann Arbor, East Lansing, and State College/Happy Valley will be palpable.  And I don't mean by fans, I mean by people with a vote in the matter.  Just a prediction.

Not just IU. Anyone overlooking what Rutgers is putting together is being naive. They have a TON of talent coming up. If both programs continue on this path, all the schools in the East will demand a change, including OSU. It’d be insane not too. Hell Maryland might threaten to leave the conference otherwise. 

10 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

Not just IU. Anyone overlooking what Rutgers is putting together is being naive. They have a TON of talent coming up. If both programs continue on this path, all the schools in the East will demand a change, including OSU. It’d be insane not too. Hell Maryland might threaten to leave the conference otherwise. 

I agree 100%.  Didn't mean to leave them out but I have mentioned the same thing in other posts/threads.

On 7/14/2021 at 3:47 PM, BobSaccamanno said:

Yes, or on three year running totals.

Now that's an interesting thought.  Interesting enough for me to model out.  Here's the 3 year conference winning percentage:

Ohio State 96%
Michigan 67%
Iowa 65%
Penn State 63%
Wisconsin 63%
Northwestern 60%
Indiana 52%
Minnesota 52%
Michigan State 44%
Purdue 42%
Nebraska 35%
Illinois 31%
Maryland 26%
Rutgers 11%

Aside: the fact that we're over 50% in a 3 year period is astounding.  #LEO

And here's what the divisions might look like if we did 1/3/5/7/9/11/13 and 2/4/6/8/10/12/14:

Ohio State   Michigan
Iowa   Penn State
Wisconsin   Northwestern
Indiana   Minnesota
Michigan State   Purdue
Nebraska   Illinois
Maryland   Rutgers

Overall....livable. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1