Big Ten 2021

10 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Why I'm the world would anyone give Mel Tucker a 10 year 95 million contact.  He is is 16-14 overall and 11-7 at MSU.  People complaining about Allen's contact would really hate this one.

I think there is an underlying factor in this deal that you really can't discuss. 

Edited by mrflynn03

8 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I think there is an underlying factor in this deal that you really can't discuss. 

It is obviously multifactorial, and kudos to he and his agent for getting paid.  But he completely rebuilt their staff and roster, strongly utilizing the transfer portal.  What ratio of skill/luck remains to be seen.  They were ready to be in the bottom 3 in the east instead of one of the power 4. Tip of the cap to him for his rapid success. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

No surprise but both Karlaftis and Bell won’t be back next year. They’ve both proven everything they needed to but it’ll suck not having them back. Both going to be high draft picks I’d imagine. 

Not playing in the bowl game I take it?

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

If I were a GM I would have to look at players who doesn't play in bowl games.  To me this isn't a good sign that a player is more worried about himself over the team.

You can’t be serious? Why risk it when they literally have millions on the line for one last game? Bell already risked a ton this year after his concussion against ND. He easily could’ve sat out the rest of the year and prepped foe the draft. Hell, he didn’t even practice the week of the bucket game and still played because he wanted to be out there for his teammates. I’d say that’s more important than missing a bowl game. 

Edited by Stlboiler23
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

You can’t be serious? Why risk it when they literally have millions on the line for one last game? Bell already risked a ton this year after his concussion against ND. He easily could’ve sat out the rest of the year and prepped foe the draft. Hell, he didn’t even practice the week of the bucket game and still played because he wanted to be out there for his teammates. I’d say that’s more important than missing a bowl game. 

I am serious Clark

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

If I were a GM I would have to look at players who doesn't play in bowl games.  To me this isn't a good sign that a player is more worried about himself over the team.

The day and age has changed.  Its no longer taboo and i wonder if agents and even scouts are now encouraging it.  

I know 2-3 years ago a few gms said they would never consider a player that sits out but Im guessing that is slowly changing, especially guys with zero to prove.  

Not saying I agree.  

Edited by NotIThatLives
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, BGleas said:

These bowl games are completely meaningless. I think once the Jaylen Smith injury happened in the Fiesta Bowl several years ago, the idea that holding it against a kid for sitting out because ridiculous. 

Yep.  I would just leave it up to the kid, every situation is different.  

These kids are multi million dollar investments and are sitting on lottery tickets.  Its one thing if there is nothing on the line and your stock is set.  A whole nother if you are a beast for a trash team.  It does suck if you are the heart and soul of your team and then you sit out like Elijah Moore and Kenny Yeboah did for Ole Miss last year and then they still spanked their opponent:coffee:.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, btownqb said:

This isn't like a big deal to me, but I don't agree with some of you that believe it's ok. Sorry I just don't. All that talk of togetherness and sacrificing for each other and you sit out the biggest game of the year? Cmon now. 

I mean Bell has literally already done that this year. He could’ve easily shut things down after the ND game and we would’ve understood. The fact that he came back and played shows his teammates what kind of competitor and teammate he is. I think the majority of his teammates would understand if he chose not to play. He’s still pretty banged up too and needs to show well at the combine. It’s already been a heck of a season and it’s just one game. Tennessee already announced one of their stud CB’s is opting out too I believe. 

Edited by Stlboiler23

2 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Did he have millions of dollars on the line like Bell/GK do?

So there is a qualifier for sitting out on your team? I am not trying to make this about Bell/GK at all. I'm talking about the situation in general. Like I don't think Bell or GK are some bad people or anything like that.  But, no, I don't agree with their decision or the reasons for doing so. And.. like always... my opinion matters 0.