Big Ten 2021

23 hours ago, btownqb said:

As of now, the top 7 classes in the B1G are from the East and the bottom 7 are from the West. What a joke. 

19 hours ago, Hoosier82 said:

Utterly shocked by Iowa and Wisconsin’s recruiting efforts, Nebraska as well but it’s understandable. Do these schools have a scholarship crunches? 

18 hours ago, southsidehoosier said:

A4387BC8-959F-4FF9-89F2-91DADAB6EB29.jpeg

Per 24/7 Iowa is now rated ahead of both Rutgers and Maryland

On 12/15/2021 at 6:37 PM, Hoosier51 said:

Man that is terrible for the west, the B1G really needs to do a realignment and get rid of East and West.

I mean the SEC's divisions are lopsided too. Does it really matter? If the B1G wants to get more than 1 team in the playoffs I suppose it might...but I think we are headed to an expanded playoffs regardless.

16 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I mean the SEC's divisions are lopsided too. Does it really matter? If the B1G wants to get more than 1 team in the playoffs I suppose it might...but I think we are headed to an expanded playoffs regardless.

But... Tennessee, Florida, and Georgia all have national championships in the last 25 years. Huge, huge difference than the B1GW. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

I'm not a fan of an SEC team so i don't care what theirs is, and yes it does matter. If you have an easier schedule every year that is going to be a big benefit to you since CFB bottom line is wins. 

Talent goes to where they can showcase their skills and will play against the best and will be able to matchup and compete against the best. We benefit from being the East. Nobody will change my mind about that. As a recruit which pitch would you like to get. You'll get to play against Ohio St, Penn St, Michigan, and Michigan St every year and be on the stage showing your talent against NFL caliber players...or you will play against Illinois, NW, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin etc. We know the answer....and we are seeing the result on the recruiting trail and in the transfer portal. Of course you need a healthy program with good coaches to win them over...but I WANT to be in the East!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

But... Tennessee, Florida, and Georgia all have national championships in the last 25 years. Huge, huge difference than the B1GW. 

Maybe a bad comparison....because outside Ohio St....and I guess Michigan the B1G has no NCs. Landscape has changed drastically in the last 10 years. The SECE is simply Florida and Georgia....but your point remains...CFB has it's ups and downs. We could just as easily see a program like Wisconsin and Nebraska rise back to the top and OSU and Michigan flounder....well Michigan has been floundering...but you catch my drift. Even if it isn't perfectly balanced...it doesn't really create a problem. We've seen plenty of evidence the voters vote on perception anyways...they will give the powerhouse programs benefit of the doubt.

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Sorry. I misspoke. UGA does NOT have a NC in the past 25 years, but they are getting ready to play for their 2nd in 5 years. 

No worries. I just don't know why we should be upset...we stand to benefit recruiting wise, program visibility, and money wise from being in the East. It's a good thing!

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

No worries. I just don't know why we should be upset...we stand to benefit recruiting wise, program visibility, and money wise from being in the East. It's a good thing!

We have 3 losses as soon as we start the season. We don't have that in the West. We've beaten Iowa and Wisconsin in recent years. We have beaten PSU twice, ever, and OSU- haven't been alive since we beat them and Michigan we have been once since I was born. 

Wisconsin and Iowa are not equal to Michigan and Penn State. 

7 minutes ago, btownqb said:

We have 3 losses as soon as we start the season. We don't have that in the West. We've beaten Iowa and Wisconsin in recent years. We have beaten PSU twice, ever, and OSU- haven't been alive since we beat them and Michigan we have been once since I was born. 

Wisconsin and Iowa are not equal to Michigan and Penn State. 

Competition makes you stronger. With the right staff and people in our program we have the potential to be much stronger by facing the best teams then not. Indiana's chance to play for a national championship are no worse playing in the east than the west. It's a super long shot no matter what. But if you want to have the best football team you can have....play in the East. Whether we beat all those schools or not...it doesn't matter...maybe we beat 1 or 2...and we will be in a much much better position to win the rest of our games on our schedule and have a successful bowl season. I mean all I've heard all year long is about Cincinnati's and Notre Dame's weak schedule....and they don't deserve to be in the discussion. Well if we ever want to deserve to be in the discussion at least we are in the right division correct?

Edited by dgambill

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Competition makes you stronger. With the right staff and people in our program we have the potential to be much stronger by facing the best teams then not. Indiana's chance to play for a national championship are no worse playing in the east than the west. It's a super long shot no matter what. But if you want to have the best football team you can have....play in the East. Whether we beat all those schools or not...it doesn't matter...maybe we beat 1 or 2...and we will be in a much much better position to win the rest of our games on our schedule and have a successful bowl season. I mean all I've heard all year long is about Cincinnati's and Notre Dame's weak schedule....and they don't deserve to be in the discussion. Well if we ever want to deserve to be in the discussion at least we are in the right division correct?

I'm tired of ACC schools being portrayed as better than us. There sooo many years we go bowling if we had played an ACC schedule. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

I'm tired of ACC schools being portrayed as better than us. There sooo many years we go bowling if we had played an ACC schedule. 

Then we put them on our out of conference schedule and we prove we are better. Case solved. Maybe you can make a point but what year have we deserved to go to a bowl that we didn't? If you are telling me we could have gone 6-6 if we didn't have to play UM, OSU, PSU...well ok.....but that doesn't really make me feel that's a reason to switch. I'd rather play OSU, UM, and PSU EVERY YEAR....that's as good as going to a bowl game in my mind. We get to play some of the best teams in the country! Isn't that the only reason to go to a bowl game is to measure yourself against top teams in the country?? Heck...why even stay in the B1G....let's just go join another conference....if a winning record is all we seek and a bowl game is all that matters....we can do it easier that way....heck we can set up our non-conference to do that just as easily. If we don't make a bowl it's because we aren't very good....not because we play too many good teams.

Just now, dgambill said:

Then we put them on our out of conference schedule and we prove we are better. Case solved. Maybe you can make a point but what year have we deserved to go to a bowl that we didn't? If you are telling me we could have gone 6-6 if we didn't have to play UM, OSU, PSU...well ok.....but that doesn't really make me feel that's a reason to switch. I'd rather play OSU, UM, and PSU EVERY YEAR....that's as good as going to a bowl game in my mind. We get to play some of the best teams in the country! Isn't that the only reason to go to a bowl game is to measure yourself against top teams in the country?? Heck...why even stay in the B1G....let's just go join another conference....if a winning record is all we seek and a bowl game is all that matters....we can do it easier that way....heck we can set up our non-conference to do that just as easily. If we don't make a bowl it's because we aren't very good....not because we play too many good teams.

I'm not looking for the morality of this. I hope we schedule 6 Idaho's every year and go to a bowl. Idc. lol 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I'm not looking for the morality of this. I hope we schedule 6 Idaho's every year and go to a bowl. Idc. lol 

Hey man I don't think there is a morality in CFB lol. I'm just saying if you want IU to have the best, strongest program it can have....I'd argue playing the schedule we do is the best way to have it. Sure it might mean we will miss a bowl game from time to time....but even speaking to that we can set up our schedule to have a good shot at that. Just saying....for me....playing OSU, PSU, Michigan....IS A BOWL GAME....it's an EVENT. I'd rather play them every year than Duke in the Penn Stripe Bowl lol.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

I gotta disagree with this. Like you said, IU playing for a National Championship in football is a long shot regardless, but the chances would be much, much higher if IU was in the western division. But that's not even really the goal IMO. To me, if IU could consistently be a 7-8 win team, then you'd probably have a breakthrough season every few years where things fall into place and you win 9-10 games. 

That is much more difficult to achieve in the Big 10 East. 

On the Cincinnati and ND point, while people claim they don't deserve to be in the discussion because of their schedule, the fact is they are/were in the discussion. Cincy is in the playoff and ND was the last team out. Put them in the Big 10 East and neither is in this position. 

Playing in the Big 10 East is a big disadvantage for IU football. IU would have been in the Big Ten Title game last season most likely if they were in the West. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I gotta disagree with this. Like you said, IU playing for a National Championship in football is a long shot regardless, but the chances would be much, much higher if IU was in the western division. But that's not even really the goal IMO. To me, if IU could consistently be a 7-8 win team, then you'd probably have a breakthrough season every few years where things fall into place and you win 9-10 games. 

That is much more difficult to achieve in the Big 10 East. 

On the Cincinnati and ND point, while people claim they don't deserve to be in the discussion because of their schedule, the fact is they are/were in the discussion. Cincy is in the playoff and ND was the last team out. Put them in the Big 10 East and neither is in this position. 

Playing in the Big 10 East is a big disadvantage for IU football. IU would have been in the Big Ten Title game last season most likely if they were in the West. 

And would have lost to Ohio St and we would still sit right where we ended up. I guess I just don't see it that way. The only way we are getting into ANY NC picture is for this team to get MUCH MUCH MUCH better on the talent front. That WILL NOT happen in the B1GW in my opinion. They already are suffering from a lack of talent and recruiting compared to the East. We get better talent and better visibility and become a better team by being in the East. When that happens and we get deeper...then we will start beating OSU, PSU, Michigan...maybe not every year but we will string together some good teams and some wins. Honestly I don't care about a NC in football at IU. It's never happening. I look forward to playing against Michigan, OSU, PSU....those are way BIGGER games then playing Duke on Dec 23rd....or playing Miss St. I just can't be bothered to really care about a game like that. Give me Michigan in the Big House....OSU in the Horseshoe and Penn St at Happy Valley! Winning one of those games is like winning a NC...you'll remember those wins for a lifetime. I'm not going to remember beating Virginia or Duke in some random bowl....especially with bowls being so meaningless. Perhaps 15 years ago when winning the B1G meant a New Years Rose Bowl and playing USC or something...I guess I might have felt different...but just don't see it that way now. Of course that is just opinion....but I've not seen anyone argue that our team will be better and we will get better recruits by being in the West....if someone thinks that..I'd love to hear...what I hear right now is we'd at least be bowl eligible most years...but still be the same old IU football program. Screw that!

37 minutes ago, dgambill said:

And would have lost to Ohio St and we would still sit right where we ended up. I guess I just don't see it that way. The only way we are getting into ANY NC picture is for this team to get MUCH MUCH MUCH better on the talent front. That WILL NOT happen in the B1GW in my opinion. They already are suffering from a lack of talent and recruiting compared to the East. We get better talent and better visibility and become a better team by being in the East. When that happens and we get deeper...then we will start beating OSU, PSU, Michigan...maybe not every year but we will string together some good teams and some wins. Honestly I don't care about a NC in football at IU. It's never happening. I look forward to playing against Michigan, OSU, PSU....those are way BIGGER games then playing Duke on Dec 23rd....or playing Miss St. I just can't be bothered to really care about a game like that. Give me Michigan in the Big House....OSU in the Horseshoe and Penn St at Happy Valley! Winning one of those games is like winning a NC...you'll remember those wins for a lifetime. I'm not going to remember beating Virginia or Duke in some random bowl....especially with bowls being so meaningless. Perhaps 15 years ago when winning the B1G meant a New Years Rose Bowl and playing USC or something...I guess I might have felt different...but just don't see it that way now. Of course that is just opinion....but I've not seen anyone argue that our team will be better and we will get better recruits by being in the West....if someone thinks that..I'd love to hear...what I hear right now is we'd at least be bowl eligible most years...but still be the same old IU football program. Screw that!

I said it in my previous reply, but copied below. This is the argument. 

"To me, if IU could consistently be a 7-8 win team, then you'd probably have a breakthrough season every few years where things fall into place and you win 9-10 games. 

That is much more difficult to achieve in the Big 10 East."

I'd rather have the chance to beat OSU in the Big Ten Title game, like NW had last year, as opposed to playing them every year and hoping IU can beat them once every 40 years. In the East there would have been zero chance that NW played in the Big Ten Title game or Citrus Bowl last year. 

Recruiting doesn't improve because of the schedule, it improves with winning and winning consistently would be much, much easier in the West. You'd still play OSU, Mich, PSU and MSU in crossovers, you just wouldn't have to play all 4 every season, with potentially Iowa and Wisconsin thrown on top as sometimes happens now. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

IU has paper thin margin of error if they want to go bowling year in year out. I think they will have outlier years more than they did in the past though, so that could be exciting and super depressing (this year). 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I said it in my previous reply, but copied below. This is the argument. 

"To me, if IU could consistently be a 7-8 win team, then you'd probably have a breakthrough season every few years where things fall into place and you win 9-10 games. 

That is much more difficult to achieve in the Big 10 East."

I'd rather have the chance to beat OSU in the Big Ten Title game, like NW had last year, as opposed to playing them every year and hoping IU can beat them once every 40 years. In the East there would have been zero chance that NW played in the Big Ten Title game or Citrus Bowl last year. 

Recruiting doesn't improve because of the schedule, it improves with winning and winning consistently would be much, much easier in the West. You'd still play OSU, Mich, PSU and MSU in crossovers, you just wouldn't have to play all 4 every season, with potentially and Iowa and Wisconsin thrown on top as sometimes happens now. 

Guess I just disagree...respectfully of course. I ABSOLUTELY think schedule plays a big role in recruiting. Kids want to play on the biggest stage. They want to play for great coaches, play in the biggest spotlight, and also get to the NFL. I think the B1GE affords our players the best chance to do all that. It also affords us the most money as those games even in our house are well attended...and we get more eyes on us and more televised games when we are playing premier opponents. Again...just my opinion. I also figure we had just as good a chance to win the B1G if we beat OSU in the regular season as in the title game. NW wasn't going to beat us last year. Nobody cares who finished 2nd in the B1G last year...or any year. I do care if we get to play OSU every year though. I look forward to those games....even if we are expected to get beat. It's an opportunity to do something special.

Edited by dgambill