Jump to content

Parker Stewart


Indykev
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Indykev changed the title to Parker Stewart
2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Funny thing is that on Assembly Call last night they said he wouldn't play this year.  I don't k ow what kind of connections those guys have and they could be dead wrong.

I thought the same thing that he wouldnt play. I hope he does, could be the shot in the arm this team needs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, Hippopotamo said:

Pretty surprised that he would bother playing at this point, but I’m really excited to see how he does. 

It is a freebie year, so why not?

I'd think the only drawback might be "whose minutes does he get?" but at this point it's obvious that Trey Galloway isn't the player he was at the first of the year due to his back injury. Back injuries get better with rest or surgery...I don't think it's a bad idea to hold him out at this point...

Stewart, at least statistically, is as good as any 3 point shooter (37% career) we currently have not named Armaan Franklin. He's a coaches kid, so I'd say offensive and defensive schemes would be second nature for him to pick up...

So why not?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, IUFLA said:

It is a freebie year, so why not?

I'd think the only drawback might be "whose minutes does he get?" but at this point it's obvious that Trey Galloway isn't the player he was at the first of the year due to his back injury. Back injuries get better with rest or surgery...I don't think it's a bad idea to hold him out at this point...

Stewart, at least statistically, is as good as any 3 point shooter (37% career) we currently have not named Armaan Franklin. He's a coaches kid, so I'd say offensive and defensive schemes would be second nature for him to pick up...

So why not?

I’m just surprised because the season is almost over, and I would imagine it could be challenging to integrate him into the lineup this late into the year. Adding on to that his personal reason for transferring in the first place and the fact he hasn’t played organized basketball in a while had me assume he probably wouldn’t play this year. But I’m really rooting for him and I’m excited to see him on the court. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Hippopotamo said:

I’m just surprised because the season is almost over, and I would imagine it could be challenging to integrate him into the lineup this late into the year. Adding on to that his personal reason for transferring in the first place and the fact he hasn’t played organized basketball in a while had me assume he probably wouldn’t play this year. But I’m really rooting for him and I’m excited to see him on the court. 

I see your point...I assume he's practiced with the team...But this team and coaching staff are so tight lipped nothing about that has seeped out...

It'll be interesting to see if he's dressed out today...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not that it means anything, but I saw this and thought it interesting...

In his 2017 recruiting class, Kevin Stallings brought in Parker Stewart, Marcus Carr (now at Minnesota), and Shamiel Stevenson (now at Nebraska)...they went 8-24 as freshmen, and Stallings got the axe after the season...And his successor, Jeff Capel, brought in Trey McGowans who's now at Nebraska as well...

 

Edited by IUFLA
Link to comment
Share on other sites

From another thing that might not mean much...

Marcus Carr is considered one of the best guards in the B1G ( I personally think he's a little overrated...volume shooter like Carsen Edwards) but here's a statistical comparison of Parker Stewart and Carr their freshman year at Pitt...

Carr.PNG.3eda659e897daa6eca0a6b0c156610f7.PNG

Interesting...

Oh, and yes, I do know Carr is a PG, and Stewart more a 2...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m not sure how we can expect him to play being so far behind the rest of the team in terms of understanding the schemes. We have witnessed first hand how long it takes players to catch on to the pack line defense. Archie won’t play him until he can’t trust that he will play defense properly. 
 

I do have high hopes for him next season though. He may even start next year, as he has the skill set. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Feathery said:

I’m not sure how we can expect him to play being so far behind the rest of the team in terms of understanding the schemes. We have witnessed first hand how long it takes players to catch on to the pack line defense. Archie won’t play him until he can’t trust that he will play defense properly. 
 

I do have high hopes for him next season though. He may even start next year, as he has the skill set. 

Its interesting, offense he could figure out the minute after signed.  Defense, he has pkayed at the college level, should be fine.  Its more kids who come from AAU and zone defenses in HS. Packline is an easy defense to learn, it really is.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If I understood the announcers correctly, Meechie Johnson was in High School in December, and got in the game for the #4 team in the country today.   So, let's throw out the 'doesn't know system' theory.  It's either Stewart decided he did not want to play this year.  Or, Archie has decided he doesn't want to play Stewart this year.  It's not 'learning the system'.  

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

If I understood the announcers correctly, Meechie Johnson was in High School in December, and got in the game for the #4 team in the country today.   So, let's throw out the 'doesn't know system' theory.  It's either Stewart decided he did not want to play this year.  Or, Archie has decided he doesn't want to play Stewart this year.  It's not 'learning the system'.  

I think if he doesn't play this year it is because Stewart doesn't feel ready to play.  I think it will be his decision to play or not

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

If I understood the announcers correctly, Meechie Johnson was in High School in December, and got in the game for the #4 team in the country today.   So, let's throw out the 'doesn't know system' theory.  It's either Stewart decided he did not want to play this year.  Or, Archie has decided he doesn't want to play Stewart this year.  It's not 'learning the system'.  

It's also a basketball shape thing, too. He took a couple months off after his father passed away. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...