Ohio St Post Game

That was just a pathetic performance. Got out-worked and out-toughed again. 

Every game TJD basically goes for 20 and 10, and every game I come away feeling he played terrible. I guess they're just empty stats some of the time, but he got his butt kicked again. 

Probably Franklin's worst game of the season as well. 

That was just awful though. Another epitome of the last 4 years type of game. Right when you think there might be some momentum, we just don't show up. 

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't want to be the guy that blames the refs, but look how many times we didn't get a call. That 3-pt attempt by Al was a clear hack on the arm by Liddell. That block on Jordan G in the second half. Think of all the times we tripped and no call. We were just falling down? Rob finally got a call at the end. OSU never got an over the back call when they were reaching over us to tip every rebound. I just get so fed up with refs letting one team brutalize us  but won't let us guard anyone.

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I agree...Trayce's numbers look good, but early on missing the easy ones and letting Liddell run amok killed us.

I also thought when we had the ball for the final shot of the 1st half and Al dribbled into a crowd and lost it, allowing OSU to get the lead back to 10 was a killer...

I just don't know what to think about Trayce and his struggles at the rim.  

7 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

1 positive if TJD keeps playing like he has the last couple there is no doubt he will be back next year!!

Edit. He really wasn't bad today. Just not enough to get in the 1st round. Early in the year I thought he was a top 15 pick. 

He wasn't bad when you look at his numbers, but in the moments the game mattered most he simply got out-worked by Liddell and their backup big. 

We were never going to win this game.  The combination of coach/players that we have just is not good enough to beat a talented, well disciplined, and well coached team on the road.  That's the reality we have right now with IU basketball.  

Frankly, this one was easy on me.  I had zero expectations going in and the team responded by giving nothing.  Now, I fully expect we should win the next two and will be extremely pissed if we don't.  Then it comes down to having to win one of the Final 3.  It won't be Michigan.  And, I seriously doubt it will be Purdue.  So, in my mind, @Rutgers is not a must win.

That's tough.

Just now, BGleas said:

He wasn't bad when you look at his numbers, but in the moments the game mattered most he simply got out-worked by Liddell and their backup big. 

So in terms of his NBA prospects, he gets worked by anyone with NBA size and anyone with NBA strength/physicality. He can't score outside of the paint. He has limited post moves. 

Usually role players in the NBA have some elite skill they can hang their hat on; what's his?

Going to say this and then probably move on with my day....

The slow starts are on the coaching staff.  "But player X didn't hit his shots..."  Fine, who put them in that position.  When you can run a graphic that basically shows you are spotting the other team a double digit lead in all of your most recent games, it becomes incumbent upon the coach to switch something up.  When you spot the other team a 10, 12, 15 point lead in the first 10 minutes, you have to expend a bunch of energy to get back in the game.  That is problem #1.

Problem #2 is that our staff does not seem to know how to milk the best offensive performance from the guys we have.  Phinisee is a better 3 point shooter when he has momentum carry him into his shot.  He should be a guy who we hit for trailing 3's on quick breaks.  We absolutely suck at our half court game when it is Al and Phin out top.  So why do we not force the tempo with those 2?  Get down the court and get a shot up.

Problem #3 is our complete lack of ability to hit what should be high percentage shots at a high percentage.  Do we practice finishing through contact?  That and FT shooting would be 1A and 1B for me for our bigs.

This just does not feel like it is getting fixed.  I don't think we have a Jim and Joe's problem so much as a motivation and strategy issue.  We have had well ranked classes when compared to our Big Ten opponents since Miller took over.  I don't know what the culture of the program is, but my impression is that we have guys kind of coasting on the past accomplishments of others.  Yeah, you were good enough to get picked to put that Indiana across your chest but I don't feel anyone in the program really knows what kind of effort it takes to make that mean something.  And if these kids are putting in extra time and effort, then the coaching staff is doing a piss poor job of directing them on where to put that effort.  I think all these guys are capable of being more than they have been and either they don't have the motivation to really put in the work or their coaches don't have the ability to teach them to be their best.

We are nothing special anymore.  I think that is what needs to get through to the guys playing.  When there is all this fanfare that you yet swept into as an IU player, it is not because of you.  It is because of guys who are in their late 30's (at the youngest) and really in their 50's and 60's as to why that fanfare exists.  You are riding their coattails and enjoying benefits you really did not earn.  So it would be nice if y'all started to put a bit more into this instead of just robotically going through the motions.  That goes for the staff on down.

4 minutes ago, MSHoosier said:

I don't want to be the guy that blames the refs, but look how many times we didn't get a call. That 3-pt attempt by Al was a clear hack on the arm by Liddell. That block on Jordan G in the second half. Think of all the times we tripped and no call. We were just falling down? Rob finally got a call at the end. OSU never got an over the back call when they were reaching over us to tip every rebound. I just get so fed up with refs letting one team brutalize us  but won't let us guard anyone.

Here’s the problem...EVERY team in the BIG knows if you punch us in the mouths early, we wilt. Why not play tough and put it on the refs to call?  We don’t have enough players who care to mix it up and ultimately hate to lose 

33 minutes from the freshmen 0 points. 17 points from our 3 starting guards. RP last 5 games 16 points total. I wish we had someone on this team that would allow RP to just sit and watch. Msybe that signal that RMK talked about that sitting on the bench triggers a nerve and sends message to the brain that I better figure this out or I will remain here. Jr 3 year starter very very disappointed in what he is bringing

Who knows what the future holds.  We are a Tier 3 team in a four tier conference. We have some nice stretches, and have some players that have a nice upside. I don't think there will be a big jump up next year, though I do suspect that we can move up a few spots in the conference. We all want to be the type of program that is consistently a 1-4 seed in the tournament. This is not happening until we are consistently making the tournament and not living on the bubble.  We aren't the one of toughest, smartest, hardest working teams.  Someday we may be. 

2 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

So in terms of his NBA prospects, he gets worked by anyone with NBA size and anyone with NBA strength/physicality. He can't score outside of the paint. He has limited post moves. 

Usually role players in the NBA have some elite skill they can hang their hat on; what's his?

Completely agree. It's weird, I've never seen a 20 and 10 guy who's game i disliked more. 

All the things you stated are true, and add to it that he doesn't have a great motor either. 

A few weeks ago someone brought up Montrezel Harrell as a shorter big that came into the league not being able to shoot, etc., but Harrell's elite skill is his motor. The guy goes all out all the time. 

TJD puts up 20 and 10, but I'm still not really sure what he's really good at?

1 minute ago, HoosierFaithful said:

I made this comment in the game thread, but can any older posters enlighten me: has this level of top-to-bottom competitiveness ever been seen in the B1G?  I know we play like crap frequently but holy hell, the other teams are also really, really good.

In 1926, the league was an absolute beast.  

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Yup. He got out-worked the first 10 minutes and each time we cut it to 5 in the second half we (not all TJD's fault but it was him a couple times) gave up multiple offensive rebounds and 2nd chance points. 

Pretty much sums it up.  He is "stuck" at level that doesn't propel this team to victory.

2 minutes ago, HoosierFaithful said:

I made this comment in the game thread, but can any older posters enlighten me: has this level of top-to-bottom competitiveness ever been seen in the B1G?  I know we play like crap frequently but holy hell, the other teams are also really, really good.

I will say this that the bottom of the league are more talented now but the top of the lead is not even close to being as talented.  So this leads to the league being more competitive from top to bottom because the top of the league is weaker.

1 minute ago, HoosierFaithful said:

I’ll weigh in, the BIG has historically had quality players, quality teams AND quality coaches. The level of competition is not abnormal, it’s just that we also longer have the level of player and coaching needed to compete. Having Indiana guys is great, but a stud PG and shooter is required to win consistently. Maybe the AD doesn’t care but they’re losing long term fans like me who used to live and breathe IU bball, but now have do much apathy for the play, I’m just getting tired

Archived