Ohio St Post Game

I'm really not all worked up over this one.  I really didn't expect to win vs #5 and didn't see this as a "must win."  We need to beat MN, MSU, and PU.  It is awful tough watching us not score for over 7 game minutes again though.  I'm not seeing blaming the officials.  Just not a good look.  The trend kinda goes on for some.  Go crazy after a loss like this, then say everything is looking good after we beat MN.  Then maybe we beat MSU and get really excited.  Then melt down when we lose to Rutgers.  Etc., etc., etc.  Let's also be careful talking like Stewart is our saviour.  Hopefully he'll help, but we'll just have to see.  

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, BGleas said:

The flip side is it shows belief in your player and team, and that you have their back. 

That call was terrible and Hunter was the recipient of a few bad calls. The T also happened during a stretch where the officiating was pretty heavily slanted in OSU's favor.  

And unless he said something really bad, it appeared to be a really weak tech. 

3 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

I'm really not all worked up over this one.  I really didn't expect to win vs #5 and didn't see this as a "must win."  We need to beat MN, MSU, and PU.  It is awful tough watching us not score for over 7 game minutes again though.  I'm not seeing blaming the officials.  Just not a good look.  The trend kinda goes on for some.  Go crazy after a loss like this, then say everything is looking good after we beat MN.  Then maybe we beat MSU and get really excited.  Then melt down when we lose to Rutgers.  Etc., etc., etc.  Let's also be careful talking like Stewart is our saviour.  Hopefully he'll help, but we'll just have to see.  

Agree with the must win part. This wasn't must win, though it would have been nice to be competitive. 

On the rest, literally nobody has called or even inferred that Stewart is a savior, and I don't think anyone has blamed the refs. Not sure where you're getting those two things from?

Just now, BGleas said:

Agree with the must win part. This wasn't must win, though it would have been nice to be competitive. 

On the rest, literally nobody has called or even inferred that Stewart is a savior, and I don't think anyone has blamed the refs. Not sure where you're getting those two things from?

I think Stewart is kind of like the backup QB on a struggling football team to some.

Just now, IU Scott said:

I didn't see him doing anymore than what Washington did in the first half and he didn't get a tech.

What Washington did seemed a lot worse (understanding we don't know what was said).

Washington was hopping up and down in the refs face, typically an automatic tech for showing up the ref. 

Just now, Zuckerkorn said:

I think Stewart is kind of like the backup QB on a struggling football team to some.

I dont know. All I've read is that people would love to see him get 5 minutes a half to see if he can add some  shooting. 

Doesn't sound like much hype to me. 

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I would think most top coaches will think the same thing because it is not worth it for them.  they can make as much money elsewhere and if they are already winning big at their school why change to come here.

Well apparently at least one guy was interested...we just went another way.

Maybe you are right.  These coaches and players all seem to want fans that don't give a (expletive deleted) about how the team plays.  Maybe we need to become a football school so there isn't so much pressure for these coaches to actually earn there $3 million a year.

They may be getting their wish soon enough though.  These seasons are taking a toll on fan support.  They can play in front of 8,000 - 10,000 people if we ever get released from COVID prison and only ever get real support from fair weather fans who show up every fifth year or so when they can put a product on the floor that is worth a damn.

Honestly, does anyone truly believe that next year is going to be appreciably better?  I don't.

I just deleted a whole bunch of what I really wanted to say but if my star player was in the media talking about not being soft after a 20 point beatdown, he would have to pull my foot out of his ass.

21 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Well apparently at least one guy was interested...we just went another way.

Maybe you are right.  These coaches and players all seem to want fans that don't give a (expletive deleted) about how the team plays.  Maybe we need to become a football school so there isn't so much pressure for these coaches to actually earn there $3 million a year.

They may be getting their wish soon enough though.  These seasons are taking a toll on fan support.  They can play in front of 8,000 - 10,000 people if we ever get released from COVID prison and only ever get real support from fair weather fans who show up every fifth year or so when they can put a product on the floor that is worth a damn.

Honestly, does anyone truly believe that next year is going to be appreciably better?  I don't.

I just deleted a whole bunch of what I really wanted to say but if my star player was in the media talking about not being soft after a 20 point beatdown, he would have to pull my foot out of his ass.

It is not that they don't want fans to care but it is calling for coaches head if they don't turn it around fast enough.  I remember with Davis, Crean and now Archie that fans started turning on them in year two so why put yourself through that.  I am talking about guys like Beard or Bennett who has won at the highest level and making a lot of money.  Why would those two leave a place they have proven you can win and they get paid big money so what does IU have to offer that their schools don't.

4 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

I'd be very interested to hear from anyone who watched a lot of UD games when Archie was coach.  What was different and what was similar to what we've seen here for 4 seasons?

A week or so ago and Googled some articles from Archie's last year or two at Dayton about him being the hottest young coach on the market. 

The way he was described by other D1 coaches is completely opposite to what we've seen in 4 years, and completely in-line with how he was described when hired. 

Things like tough, hard-nosed teams that never get out-worked. Teams that perform greater than the sum of their parts. Teams that always get better as the year goes on. Offense that is structured, but give the players freedom with tons of ball and player movement. Teams that are close-knit and play hard, etc., etc.

Its crazy, it was all of the things we thought/hoped we were getting, but that for whatever reason hasn't come to fruition. 

5 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Sorry man, but you seem to kind of turned a corner with taking everything I say with 100% scrutiny.  Many have been talking about how bad the officials are.  Are they saying it is the only reason we lost?  No.  Sorry if that's an exaggeration.  I'm just saying it is a bad look to complain about the officials every time we lose.  Okay, maybe not every time, but you know what I mean.  Have people actually called Stewart the savior?  Okay, sorry.  Maybe a little exaggeration.  My point was that people seem to have really really high expectations for him.  That's fine.  My opinion is that we may want to wait and see before getting all that excited.  I guess I will try to do better with being more literal.  

1 minute ago, NCHoosier32 said:

Sorry man, but you seem to kind of turned a corner with taking everything I say with 100% scrutiny.  Many have been talking about how bad the officials are.  Are they saying it is the only reason we lost?  No.  Sorry if that's an exaggeration.  I'm just saying it is a bad look to complain about the officials every time we lose.  Okay, maybe not every time, but you know what I mean.  Have people actually called Stewart the savior?  Okay, sorry.  Maybe a little exaggeration.  My point was that people seem to have really really high expectations for him.  That's fine.  My opinion is that we may want to wait and see before getting all that excited.  I guess I will try to do better with being more literal.  

I'm not turning a corner on you, or scrutinizing you. You just seem lately to bring a lot of strawman comments about the tone of the board or how the community is saying things. The Stewart thing simply isn't close to hpw you're framing it. 

All anyone has really said about Stewart is that it would be nice if he could give us 5 minutes a half and hit some open 3's. 

It's not really a lot people are hoping for. 

5 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

The complaining about officials almost every single game gets so old. There's bad calls every game, but I wish some people give it a break. It's so weak. 

33 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

This wasn't a must win but it is how we lost and we keep seeing the same things over and over again.  These next two games are must wins because Minnesota has not won a road game this year and MSU is looking worse than we are.  They just lost at home to Iowa by 30 points.

21 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

The complaining about officials almost every single game gets so old. There's bad calls every game, but I wish some people give it a break. It's so weak. 

Here's what I'll say to close my discussion of the refs. It has been pretty common for the BIG to flame out in the NCAA, and I'm going out on a limb and say here that OSU won't make the FF.  And if they don't, it will be because some game the officials (just like often happens with PU) won't let them get away tripping, grabbing, bodying, etc.

Archived