Ohio St Post Game

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, MSHoosier said:

Here's what I'll say to close my discussion of the refs. It has been pretty common for the BIG to flame out in the NCAA, and I'm going out on a limb and say here that OSU won't make the FF.  And if they don't, it will be because some game the officials (just like often happens with PU) won't let them get away tripping, grabbing, bodying, etc.

I agree that B1G officials suck and are part of the reason why the conference has been bad in the tournament the last 20 years. Just tired of people talking like they only suck in our opponents favor.

2 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

So in terms of his NBA prospects, he gets worked by anyone with NBA size and anyone with NBA strength/physicality. He can't score outside of the paint. He has limited post moves. 

Usually role players in the NBA have some elite skill they can hang their hat on; what's his?

Disappearing...

38 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

The complaining about officials almost every single game gets so old. There's bad calls every game, but I wish some people give it a break. It's so weak. 

I'll play along. Just because something happens every game are you suggesting we shouldn't discuss it at all just because that's the way it is? That's like watching a state run itself into so much debt and just say that's the way it's always been, right? Business as usual. 

A board discusses all things related to a game. What's weak is not bringing the obvious every single game. Just like our starts, TJD not finishing, poor turnovers at crucial times....and yes officiating. 

We would have been beaten all day today. Ohio St is a better team.....but just because myself and/or others discuss one part of the stew doesn't make it weak. What's weak is looking the other way to an obvious problem. 

Just my two cents.

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I'll play along. Just because something happens every game are you suggesting we shouldn't discuss it at all just because that's the way it is? That's like watching a state run itself into so much debt and just say that's the way it's always been, right? Business as usual. 

A board discusses all things related to a game. What's weak is not bringing the obvious every single game. Just like our starts, TJD not finishing, poor turnovers at crucial times....and yes officiating. 

We would have been beaten all day today. Ohio St is a better team.....but just because myself and/or others discuss one part of the stew doesn't make it weak. What's weak is looking the other way to an obvious problem. 

Just my two cents.

It's so strange that these type of posts never happen when someone tries to discredit the team when we get a favorable call. 

There were people after PSU saying we got a gift, where was @Leathernecksat that time to tell people to stop talking about the officials? 

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

It's so strange that these type of posts never happen when someone tries to discredit the team when we get a favorable call. 

There were people after PSU saying we got a gift, where was @Leathernecksat that time to tell people to stop talking about the officials? 

Agree. There have been plenty of games where the board has complained the refs were against us, but also numerous games where we've said the refs were terrible both way or even in our favor. 

The fact of the matter is, 3 parties impact the outcome of a game, both teams and the refs. The refs play a crucial role in the outcome of many of these games (not today's of course), so discussing that isn't weak, it's normal. 

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

Agree. There have been plenty of games where the board has complained the refs were against us, but also numerous games where we've said the refs were terrible both way or even in our favor. 

The fact of the matter is, 3 parties impact the outcome of a game, both teams and the refs. The refs play a crucial role in the outcome of many of these games (not today's of course), so discussing that isn't weak, it's normal. 

That's all I was saying too. It's an ingredient to a game and discussion. I'm never going to look the other way on bad officiating. 

Sidenote...I like Leathernecks as a poster. Just disagree on it being weak to discuss.

12 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Just my two cents.

I agree it should be discussed, but I just hate how it gets used as an excuse so often.

9 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

If you've got an issue with me, send me a PM.

Sorry. I don't want to be the whiner. We certainly didn't deserve to win. Perhaps I am making more a statement about how I don't like OSU's style of play. I would say the same about PU. I think when Archie says they are the most physical team we are going to play, he is talking about a lot things that refs should be cleaning up, not just being bad refs.

6 minutes ago, MSHoosier said:

Sorry. I don't want to be the whiner. We certainly didn't deserve to win. Perhaps I am making more a statement about how I don't like OSU's style of play. I would say the same about PU. I think when Archie says they are the most physical team we are going to play, he is talking about a lot things that refs should be cleaning up, not just being bad refs.

At the start of the game, Bilas said Archie mentioned pre game this will be the most physical team.  He really thinks that, has nothing to do with refs.  OSU had fouls called against them and we don't hit free throws.  

On top of the frustrating offense performances, CAM style is boring to watch.  Sorry nobody answered the question about seeing his Dayton teams styles of offense.  More important, how does a public university justify a 7-year contract with big $$, to a coach unproven at the P5 level.  

2 minutes ago, John S said:

On top of the frustrating offense performances, CAM style is boring to watch.  Sorry nobody answered the question about seeing his Dayton teams styles of offense.  More important, how does a public university justify a 7-year contract with big $$, to a coach unproven at the P5 level.  

You do realize most of the hires by top schools come from mid  level D1.  Even the top coaches started out at a mid major and moved up to the top level of D1.  At the time Archie was considered to be the top candidate that was out there that was realistic to be moving on.

As for Dayton I did not watch a whole lot of their games but they played at a lot faster pace and always had tough PG who were leaders.  I know one year they made the second round with no starter above 6'6 and was down to 7 scholarship players.  they were hard nose team who played hard all the time.  I think they shot the ball fairly well but not prolific 3 point shooting team.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

You do realize most of the hires by top schools come from mid  level D1.  Even the top coaches started out at a mid major and moved up to the top level of D1.  At the time Archie was considered to be the top candidate that was out there that was realistic to be moving on.

As for Dayton I did not watch a whole lot of their games but they played at a lot faster pace and always had tough PG who were leaders.  I know one year they made the second round with no starter above 6'6 and was down to 7 scholarship players.  they were hard nose team who played hard all the time.  I think they shot the ball fairly well but not prolific 3 point shooting team.

So my question is why hasn't that translated to IU but worked out well at Dayton? What significant piece(s) are we missing? I saw a hard nosed confident up tempo team that was at Dayton. Their whole offense was getting out in transition taking threes and pushing the tempo. They turned hard nose defense into offense. I guess that is my major question though. The product there vs the product here is night and day difference. 

1 hour ago, bluegrassIU said:

It's fair to say we sucked and the refs sucked.

Just like discussing that Armaan really had a poor game. Would we have won if he played well? Not likely today.

But it's still an aspect of the game worth discussing.

4 minutes ago, ButlerHoosier said:

So my question is why hasn't that translated to IU but worked out well at Dayton? What significant piece(s) are we missing? I saw a hard nosed confident up tempo team that was at Dayton. I guess that is my major question. The product there vs the product here is night and day difference. 

I am trying to think of a good comparison to Archie.  Monson?  Gonzaga to Minnesota.  Lickliter?  Butler to Iowa.  Gillan?  Xavier to Virginia?

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Just noticed the boxscore...

TJD had 23 points and 9 boards...

Liddell had 19 points and 4 boards...

But anyone who watched the game objectively can tell you who the superior player was today...

How many of TJD's points came at the end of the game after we were down 20

10 minutes ago, ButlerHoosier said:

So my question is why hasn't that translated to IU but worked out well at Dayton? What significant piece(s) are we missing? I saw a hard nosed confident up tempo team that was at Dayton. Their whole offense was getting out in transition taking threes and pushing the tempo. They turned hard nose defense into offense. I guess that is my major question though. The product there vs the product here is night and day difference. 

If I knew the answer I would be rich because IU would hire me to coach.

Archived