Ohio St Post Game

I probably shouldn't lay it all at Trayce's feet...Armaan had a poor game, so did Al, and so did Rob. 

I thought Jerome had a decent game beyond a couple of early turnovers that hurt, but that technical he picked up didn't help...

Like I said in my first post, we just got beat by a better team...

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

If you've got an issue with me, send me a PM.

I don't have an issue with you at all, but the fact is you came in here and told people they are weak for complaining about officials. No one said it's why we lost our was even a factor, but the reality is that it was really bad, especially for a stretch in the second half. You happened to be an easy example because you had just said something about it. 

28 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Just noticed the boxscore...

TJD had 23 points and 9 boards...

Liddell had 19 points and 4 boards...

But anyone who watched the game objectively can tell you who the superior player was today...

Looking at when they got their points would be telling. Liddell got more than half of his when they blew the game open early. A lot of TJDs stats today were garbage. 

Dreadful today, but didn’t expect a win. I DO expect wins in the next two. 13-9 (8-7) with a top 5 SOS? Believe it or not, I think we have a chance to cause problems for teams in the tourney if we can get in. We’ll certainly be battle tested. I’m disappointed with the inconsistency more than anything, but I still see a better team than we’ve had the last three years. It’s a must we get in the tourney and then it’s a must we find some consistency and better results next year or the calls for CAM’s head will start being realistic and just IMO. Let’s beat Minnesota. 

8 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I don't have an issue with you at all, but the fact is you came in here and told people they are weak for complaining about officials. No one said it's why we lost our was even a factor, but the reality is that it was really bad, especially for a stretch in the second half. You happened to be an easy example because you had just said something about it. 

I guess my biggest issue was that I don't care how bad the officiating was, I don't think getting a technical well after the play is over is ever acceptable.  That was what really started my thinking of going down the path of officiating.  

I think in general, when officiating is bad, it is in favor of the aggressive team.  As someone mentioned earlier, a allowing that physicality might be part of why our conference struggles in the tournament.  

I think I'm leaning towards Al, Armaan, Jerome, Race, and TJD as my preferred starters....but I also know how a locker room works and Rob has to get his minutes too at least initially. 

We'll see how the week goes. Like Bilas said today. We are firmly in the tourney. Get these 2 this week and wait for how the Big 10 is going to reschedule Michigan/Sparty games. 

Otherwise. We move forward. No other choice. 

Just now, Seeking6 said:

I think I'm leaning towards Al, Armaan, Jerome, Race, and TJD as my preferred starters....but I also know how a locker room works and Rob has to get his minutes too at least initially. 

We'll see how the week goes. Like Bilas said today. We are firmly in the tourney. Get these 2 this week and wait for how the Big 10 is going to reschedule Michigan/Sparty games. 

Otherwise. We move forward. No other choice. 

I wouldn't say we are firmly in right now.  Also it seemed like earlier in the year that Rob played better off the bench than when he starts.

11 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Dreadful today, but didn’t expect a win. I DO expect wins in the next two. 13-9 (8-7) with a top 5 SOS? Believe it or not, I think we have a chance to cause problems for teams in the tourney if we can get in. We’ll certainly be battle tested. I’m disappointed with the inconsistency more than anything, but I still see a better team than we’ve had the last three years. It’s a must we get in the tourney and then it’s a must we find some consistency and better results next year or the calls for CAM’s head will start being realistic and just IMO. Let’s beat Minnesota. 

Agree. We’ve had players step up at different times but we’ve yet to get everyone clicking on all cylinders.  Get TJD, Franklin, and Race on their games together, with Durham coming off the ball and hitting shots at a good clip.  Hunter and the frosh coming in surgically.  I’m still hoping that all comes together.  If it actually does, we are a good team. 

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I wouldn't say we are firmly in right now.  Also it seemed like earlier in the year that Rob played better off the bench than when he starts.

Actually we are firmly in...it's just our paranoid behavior that doesn't allow it. Like we always say. Best and worst thing about IU....our fans. 

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

No tourney wins for 4 straight years after making Sweet 16 his first year.

Now some places that gets you a pass or an extension. Even at Illinois they fire you.

That may be.  But record wise, Groce is a winner every where he has been.

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Actually we are firmly in...it's just our paranoid behavior that doesn't allow it. Like we always say. Best and worst thing about IU....our fans. 

Well we will have to go 3-3 to get in or if we make those games up 4-4.  To me when you say firmly in that means no matter how the season ends we are in and that is not the case.

Just now, IU Scott said:

Well we will have to go 3-3 to get in or if we make those games up 4-4.  To me when you say firmly in that means no matter how the season ends we are in and that is not the case.

Okay well if that's your thought process hardly any team is firmly in currently. 

Regarding the locker room, it may not be overt and in the open but there’s got to be other players frustrated by a starter who’s been off for awhile.  In the pros, regardless of sport, you play someone not carrying their weight and you get mutinies and anonymous quotes in the newspaper.  College kids are more apt to fall in line because they aren’t grown men.  But if a kid isn’t getting the job done, it’s straightforward to everyone what should happen.  Leadership requires doing the right thing and getting everyone on board with it. 

Just now, KoB2011 said:

Okay well if that's your thought process hardly any team is firmly in currently. 

There are a lot of teams that is in that category.  I just don't see us getting in at 14-13 or worse.  there has never been a team get an at large bid that was just 1 game over .500.

2 minutes ago, rico said:

That may be.  But record wise, Groce is a winner every where he has been.

I like John....but he was kind of like Lickliter. Never should be put on the stage of the Big 10. Now I will also say John looked the other way on a few things. Nunn hated him. Leron Black had a side to him that Groce never could grasp. Tate,etc....the list goes on....not to mention he took Armon Bassett with open arms. 

I agree with you. Groce has been a winner everywhere. Just like Sampson is. 

23 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Regarding the locker room, it may not be overt and in the open but there’s got to be other players frustrated by a starter who’s been off for awhile.  In the pros, regardless of sport, you play someone not carrying their weight and you get mutinies and anonymous quotes in the newspaper.  College kids are more apt to fall in line because they aren’t grown men.  But if a kid isn’t getting the job does, it’s straightforward to everyone what should happen.  

The only issue I have with replacing Rob is I don't know who you'd start. 

Lander isn't ready. 

You could start Leal or Hunter, but there's some risk with either of them. 

Unfortunately we are limited for options and Rob is probably the biggest limiting factor our team has right now. I'll be the first to say that while I don't think Parker Stewart is a savior, I would throw him in for big minutes the moment he says "play me coach" because I'd rather have three combo guards playing that can at least all score and hit outside shots than whatever Rob gives us. 

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

I like John....but he was kind of like Lickliter. Never should be put on the stage of the Big 10. Now I will also say John looked the other way on a few things. Nunn hated him. Leron Black had a side to him that Groce never could grasp. Tate,etc....the list goes on....not to mention he took Armon Bassett with open arms. 

I agree with you. Groce has been a winner everywhere. Just like Sampson is. 

I wouldn't say going 95-75 at UI as a big winner

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

There are a lot of teams that is in that category.  I just don't see us getting in at 14-13 or worse.  there has never been a team get an at large bid that was just 1 game over .500.

There's never been a season like this year. There have been plenty of teams that get in with sub .500 conference records that padded their overall record with lots of easy OOC games.   

34 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Looking at when they got their points would be telling. Liddell got more than half of his when they blew the game open early. A lot of TJDs stats today were garbage. 

I just went back and watched the 19-0 run. If you look at TJD's closeout on Liddell's first 3 when the score was 6-2 it'll tell you all you need to know. 

I think everybody knows I'm not big on questioning effort, but if your best player can't make a better effort on a closeout than that, then I can't defend it. Go to the 29 second mark here...so early in the game fatigue should have nothing to do with it...

Archived