Ohio St Post Game

3 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

There's never been a season like this year. There have been plenty of teams that get in with sub .500 conference records that padded their overall record with lots of easy OOC games.   

I know teams have made it under .500 in conference but I am talking about overall record of 14-13 probably won't be good enough.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

The only issue I have with replacing Rob is I don't know who you'd start. 

Lander isn't ready. 

You could start Leal or Hunter, but there's some risk with other of them. 

Unfortunately we are limited for options and Rob is probably the biggest limiting factor our team has right now. I'll be the first to say that while I don't think Parker Stewart is a savior, I would throw him in for big minutes the moment he says "play me coach" because I'd rather have three combo guards playing that can at least all score and hit outside shots than whatever Rob gives us. 

I agree that it’s a conundrum. I guess I’d give the ball to Franklin even though he’s a combo guard at best.  I’d have Durham off the ball.  He can be a good shooter if you take the load off him.  Then that third outside starter would be Galloway or Leal to me.  If healthy I might pick Trey.  While Leal brings shooting and maybe more stability, we need a jolt at the start of games.  I think Galloway brings a pace that might help.    

We all know bad starts is a real thing with this team. The sample size is too big to brush it off.  

In general, I find our offense to be very sluggish when Rob and Al are in together. 

And we are getting way too close to the end of the shot clock. The whole offense needs to be more tuned into this.  

3 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Exactly. Unless we have a committee comprised of only Gary Barta, they should be smart enough to factor in the lack of easier non-conference teams. If IU is 14-13, that’s really like 18-13.   

I am just going off of what I heard a couple of guys who does brackettolgy who said it would be tough for IU to make it at 14-13

For those of you interesting in where we're currently sitting, bracket matrix shows over 100 bracketologists.  They also have a place that ranks all of them according to how accurate they have been so you can sort through and find some of the best ones.  This is definitely a different year though, so not sure how accurate anybody will be.

11 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I just went back and watched the 19-0 run. If you look at TJD's closeout on Liddell's first 3 when the score was 6-2 it'll tell you all you need to know. 

I think everybody knows I'm not big on questioning effort, but if your best player can't make a better effort on a closeout than that, then I can't defend it. Go to the 29 second mark here...so early in the game fatigue should have nothing to do with it...

Liddell is a load.  He’s a bit sawed off for a power forward and so he’s kind of tough to match up with that powerful low center of gravity.  But he’s a bulldog.  The one guy I’d love to see check him would be Geronimo.  He tried for a minute and there was a bad read where Geronimo switched off and Lander didn’t.  So the matchup didn’t last.  

I’m not saying Geronimo would shut him down but this is a competitive kid who is not as strong as EJ but still strong.  And he’s quicker IMO.  I bet he could give him problems.  

I think I'd go with John Beilein's advice concerning TJD. 

I wouldn't run any plays for him. I'd tell him to concentrate on defense, rebounding, and hustling. No shooting. Get in the flow of the game, and play hard, and THEN we'll run some things for you.

Run inside stuff for Race, and some plays for the guards. 

Trayce is our best player. Well only go as far as he takes us. But he has to show up early, and make difference like Liddell did today. 

3 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Liddell is a load.  He’s a bit sawed off for a power forward and so he’s kind of tough to match up with that powerful low center of gravity.  But he’s a bulldog.  The one guy I’d love to see check him would be Geronimo.  He tried for a minute and there was a bad read where Geronimo switched off and Lander didn’t.  So the matchup didn’t last.  

I’m not saying Geronimo would shut him down but this is a competitive kid who is not as strong as EJ but still strong.  And he’s quicker IMO.  I bet he could give him problems.  

The bad thing for the big ten is Liddell will have two more years and will only get better.  He is a 6'6 PF so he probably won't be a guy to leave early.

Just now, IU Scott said:

The bad thing for the big ten is Liddell will have two more years and will only get better.  He is a 6'6 PF so he probably won't be a guy to leave early.

I was thinking the same thing. You never know though.  There are guys like PJ Tucker and Draymond who are shorter and have been successful. What’s good for EJ is he hit some outside shots today.  

45 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I know teams have made it under .500 in conference but I am talking about overall record of 14-13 probably won't be good enough.

This year will be different and records like that will be sufficient for some teams in tough conferences. Those same teams, in the past, would have been 7+ games over .500 because of early season cupcake city contests.

50 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I agree that it’s a conundrum. I guess I’d give the ball to Franklin even though he’s a combo guard at best.  I’d have Durham off the ball.  He can be a good shooter if you take the load off him.  Then that third outside starter would be Galloway or Leal to me.  If healthy I might pick Trey.  While Leal brings shooting and maybe more stability, we need a jolt at the start of games.  I think Galloway brings a pace that might help.    

We all know bad starts is a real thing with this team. The sample size is too big to brush it off.  

In general, I find our offense to be very sluggish when Rob and Al are in together. 

And we are getting way too close to the end of the shot clock. The whole offense needs to be more tuned into this.  

Been saying for at least a week you have to limit Al and Rob minutes together. Archie can’t roll the same lineup out on Wednesday. I’d start Hunter or Leal for Rob. 

2 minutes ago, Sea Turtle said:

Holtman seems to have built a good there in his 4 years there.

If Ohio State doesn't drop off the rest of the season, Holtmann will have had them in the top 5 in 3 out of his 1st 4 seasons.  He will be returning a lot next year and has some solid recruits lined up in the next 2 classes.  He should have Ohio State set up to be a top 5 team in the conference for the next few years also.    

40 minutes ago, EvilleHoosier said:

If Ohio State doesn't drop off the rest of the season, Holtmann will have had them in the top 5 in 3 out of his 1st 4 seasons.  He will be returning a lot next year and has some solid recruits lined up in the next 2 classes.  He should have Ohio State set up to be a top 5 team in the conference for the next few years also.    

I guess we should have hired him then. 

54 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

should but it will not happen

In Archie defense that would mean Al would have to play the 1 to start the game and he is much better as a 2 but at this point Rob is so bad offensively and we have gotten off to so many bad starts that you have to take him out of the lineup IMO and limit his minutes with Al. 

1 hour ago, Sea Turtle said:

But he was clearly interested in the Ohio State job. I guess that pretty much sums up where our program and University leadership is at. The toilet 

He didn't want to be in the fish bowl that is Indiana basketball.  Part of that deals with this fan base and how they turn on their coaches

11 hours ago, ButlerHoosier said:

So my question is why hasn't that translated to IU but worked out well at Dayton? What significant piece(s) are we missing? I saw a hard nosed confident up tempo team that was at Dayton. Their whole offense was getting out in transition taking threes and pushing the tempo. They turned hard nose defense into offense. I guess that is my major question though. The product there vs the product here is night and day difference. 

To me the difference is guard play. Specifically PG play. Scootchie Smith was a fantastic PG for Archie at Dayton. 

Edit: the other issue is the get old stay old philosophy. It’s year 4, and our best players are the sophomores and freshmen. Go look at the top of the Big Ten. I see veteran groups of juniors and seniors who lead the way. Oh and solid guard play.  Archie’s first class has Race and Al left. His second class has Rob and Hunter. That’s 4 of 9 players still at IU from his first 2 classes. That’s killing the team from an experience standpoint. Race is the only one who would have a chance of starting for one of the top teams in conference out of IU’s Juniors and Seniors. 

OSU and Michigan went and got experienced transfers and it is paying off this season. Seems like Archie is trying that route with Stewart. Brunk was a good addition but not healthy. 

Archived