Sometimes you have to wonder why!

jefftheref

My son is 40 years old and lives in Knoxville, Tennessee. He runs the youth football program for Grace Christian Academy and also coaches youth basketball and Travel Basketball. He has done this for many years and has developed quite a reputation in that area for what he has accomplished. He not only donates many hours of his time but he also mentor's and spends his own money buying uniforms, meals and transportation. I can't tell you how proud of him I am. 

Two of his players are cousins and they come from not the best home life situations. My son has became like a second father to these two young men. They stay at his house, they are best friends with my oldest grandson, he feeds them, he counsels them and is constantly following up to make sure they are staying on the right path. They are both very talented athletes in basketball and football. The younger cousin (sophomore) has already received Division 1 interest in football (2 offers as of now) and is a starting guard on his high school team, while the older cousin (junior) starts on his school's team. I have had the privilege of meeting and spending time with both of these young men. 

Yesterday the oldest cousin was shot and killed by a stray bullet. He was driving to his girlfriend's when a bullet came through the rear of the car struck him on his left side and pierced his heart causing him to lose control, crash and roll over his car. He was unresponsive when found and was taken to the local hospital where he died during surgery. 

Needless, to say my son and grandson are. devastated. He had just spoken to him about and hour before the shooting to confirm that he was going to play on his travel team and to see if he needed anything. When my son called he was crying like a baby. I felt so helpless and I had no idea what to say to him. All I kind think of was to tell him I loved him and I was there for him. 

In times like these living long distances away from your kids is the worst thing possible. Never take life for granted You never know how fast your life can be taken from you through no fault of your own. 

I have posted a few pictures of my son, grandson, and the two cousins. The one killed is in the picture with my daughter in law. If this is not appropriate, mods will you pleaser remove . Thank you

26361.jpeg

26363.jpeg

26364.jpeg

26365.jpeg

26367.jpeg

I am so sorry.  No words my friend.  We know that life is not fair. Unfortunately we don't see the big picture and we have no idea how God will use this tragedy for his glory. I wish I had some answers.  You have a great relationship with the 1 that does though. You raised a great young man and now you will see him shine like never before. Prayers for all of you my friend.  

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

I am so sorry.  No words my friend.  We know that life is not fair. Unfortunately we don't see the big picture and we have no idea how God will use this tragedy for his glory. I wish I had some answers.  You have a great relationship with the 1 that does though. You raised a great young man and now you will see him shine like never before. Prayers for all of you my friend.  

Thank you my friend. 

Just so sorry to hear this sort of news. Happens so often I feel like we just look the other way sometimes. So many kids never get their chance "out" because of what happens every single day in parts of our country. My condolences. Know this feeling well with a kid we knew in Chicago. Thoughts are with you and your family.

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Just so sorry to hear this sort of news. Happens so often I feel like we just look the other way sometimes. So many kids never get their chance "out" because of what happens every single day in parts of our country. My condolences. Know this feeling well with a kid we knew in Chicago. Thoughts are with you and your family.

Thank you

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Thank you

7 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

That is heartbreaking Jeff. Your son was there for him, for both of them, and you are there for your son and grandson. So sorry for you and your family, but your son being there for them and your being there for your family means a lot. 

Wise words here for ya Jeff,, The best perspective you can have right now.

Prayers for you and all.

12 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

That is heartbreaking Jeff. Your son was there for him, for both of them, and you are there for your son and grandson. So sorry for you and your family, but your son being there for them and your being there for your family means a lot. 

Thank you

Archived