TIME TO ASK THE QUESTION

jojo123

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I'll point out that we had 2 players, Jake Forrester, and Clifton Moore, who fit your criteria, but left over playing time.

In today's atmosphere, it's difficult to balance development versus a kid's desire to play.

I get that but how do other schools pull it off? How does Duke, MSU, UM, uk, and several others manage to convince kids to share playing time or wait their turn while they develop?

As of for right now. 
I would start Lander,Franklin,Hunter,Race, TJD. Should improve ball movement, outside shooting with Hunter, and rebounding with that lineup. 
As far as the off season goes, it’s time for Archie to hire an offensive coach. His stubbornness to do the same lineups and offensive sets could cost him his job. 
Ugly offense that doesn’t score points is going to be a hard sell to AAU Recruits and their families. 

16 minutes ago, Bowhunter said:

As of for right now. 
I would start Lander,Franklin,Hunter,Race, TJD. Should improve ball movement, outside shooting with Hunter, and rebounding with that lineup. 
As far as the off season goes, it’s time for Archie to hire an offensive coach. His stubbornness to do the same lineups and offensive sets could cost him his job. 
Ugly offense that doesn’t score points is going to be a hard sell to AAU Recruits and their families. 

I'm actually about onboard with that lineup.  If we'd be a little weaker defensively, so be it.  Still think it's kind of hard to say Lander deserves to start and I'm not as big of a fan of Hunter's game as most, but why not try it I guess?

2 hours ago, Euroclydon said:

I get that but how do other schools pull it off? How does Duke, MSU, UM, uk, and several others manage to convince kids to share playing time or wait their turn while they develop?

I don't know, but there does have to be some thought put into it, not only from a develoent standpoint, but recruiting as well.

I'd like to see us follow more a Villanova or Virginia model. Recruit, develop, play...and I think that's exactly what Archie's "get old, stay old" mantra does.

John Beilein made the comment today during the PSU-Nebraska game that the B1G was great this year because the teams are front loaded with seniors and juniors, peppered in with young guys who are 4 and 5 star players. And he's right. It'll take us another season to get there, but it'll be us with a veteran lineup soon...

Just to buttress the above statement...here are the years of players in each team's rotation...

Michigan

5 seniors, 1 junior, 1 sophomore, 1 freshman 

Illinois

2 seniors, 3 juniors, 1 sophomore, 2 freshmen 

OSU 

2 seniors, 4 juniors, 1 sophomore, 1 freshman 

Iowa 

2 seniors, 2 juniors, 3 sophomores, 2 freshmen

Wisconsin 

6 seniors, 1 sophomore, 1 freshman 

Purdue 

4 juniors, 1 sophomore, 4 freshmen 

Rutgers 

2 seniors, 4 juniors, 1 sophomore 

Minnesota 

Indiana 

1 senior, 2 juniors, 3 sophomores, 4 freshmen 

Michigan State 

1 senior, 5 juniors, 3 sophomores, 1 freshman 

Penn State 

3 seniors, 4 juniors, 1 sophomore 

Nebraska 

2 seniors, 4 juniors, 3 sophomores 

Northwestern 

4 juniors, 4 sophomores, 1 freshman 

Maryland 

2 seniors, 3 juniors, 2 sophomores

1 hour ago, Bowhunter said:

As of for right now. 

I would put Lander in to start over Phinisee and keep everything else the same and see if it helps get to a quicker start.  Tell KL that he is in there to distribute.

37 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Just to buttress the above statement...here are the years of players in each team's rotation...

Michigan

5 seniors, 1 junior, 1 sophomore, 1 freshman 

Illinois's

2 seniors, 3 juniors, 1 sophomore, 2 freshmen 

OSU 

Iowa 

2 seniors, 2 juniors, 3 sophomores, 2 freshmen

Wisconsin 

6 seniors, 1 sophomore, 1 freshman 

Purdue 

4 juniors, 1 sophomore, 4 freshmen 

Rutgers 

2 seniors, 4 juniors, 1 sophomore 

Minnesota 

Indiana 

1 senior, 2 juniors, 3 sophomores, 4 freshmen 

Michigan State 

1 senior, 5 juniors, 3 sophomores, 1 freshman 

Penn State 

3 seniors, 4 juniors, 1 sophomore 

Nebraska 

2 seniors, 4 juniors, 3 sophomores 

Northwestern 

4 juniors, 4 sophomores, 1 freshman 

Maryland 

2 seniors, 3 juniors, 2 sophomores

Seems like we are easily the youngest team in there...

15 hours ago, Euroclydon said:

Duke and UK have players that wait their turn to develop?  

16 hours ago, Euroclydon said:

JMO here....Izzo and B are/were fine coaches at MSU and U of M.  Their players normally stayed for 3-4 years for a reason...they weren't lottery picks.  Basically they aren't getting the roster turnover.  Izzo, specifically, has been blessed by 4 year PG's that are/were not NBA caliber stars.  Wisconsin is of the same mold.

2 hours ago, rico said:

JMO here....Izzo and B are/were fine coaches at MSU and U of M.  Their players normally stayed for 3-4 years for a reason...they weren't lottery picks.  Basically they aren't getting the roster turnover.  Izzo, specifically, has been blessed by 4 year PG's that are/were not NBA caliber stars.  Wisconsin is of the same mold.

I think that's a lot of it...But also I'd factor in, what's the program like? Do I have a chance to play? Can we win? Am I progressing? Is it a "family" type atmosphere? 

Is playing time a driving factor? Sure, but having kids that buy into a team concept, not just on the floor but with the program overall has got to be factored in somewhere...

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I think that's a lot of it...But also I'd factor in, what's the program like? Do I have a chance to play? Can we win? Am I progressing? Is it a "family" type atmosphere? 

Playing time is a driving factor? Sure, but having kids that buy into a team concept, not just on the floor but with the program overall has got to be factored in somewhere...

I got to get going here in a few but "What does the kid want out of his scholarship?" figures big in there.

On 2/14/2021 at 10:47 AM, go_iu_bb said:

You've brought up Justin Smith a few times now. 19 points with 0 TO is a good game but that isn't a typical game for him. In fact, his stats this season are very similar to those from last season against a much weaker schedule. So it's not as though he left and became an amazing player.  He left and became the same player he was at IU. Maybe his leadership is better as you mentioned in another post, I don't know, but I doubt it.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/justin-smith-3.html

I agree with a lot of the rest of your post but maybe stop using Smith as someone who improved after leaving. That just doesn't hold up.

I would actually argue he's been Arkansas' most valuable player. Not best player, but Arkansas went 1-3 when he was out with an injury and has gone 8-1 in conference play with him. He had a key block late in last night's win against Florida that helped seal the game and the past two games now that he's finally healthy again after surgery he's had:

15 points
6 rebounds
4 assists
5 steals
2 blocks

and

19 points
6 rebounds
3 assists
2 steals

Also had 18/7 against Oklahoma State and a double-double against Mississippi State.

13 minutes ago, hogfan14 said:

I would actually argue he's been Arkansas' most valuable player. Not best player, but Arkansas went 1-3 when he was out with an injury and has gone 8-1 in conference play with him. He had a key block late in last night's win against Florida that helped seal the game and the past two games now that he's finally healthy again after surgery he's had:

15 points
6 rebounds
4 assists
5 steals
2 blocks

and

19 points
6 rebounds
3 assists
2 steals

Also had 18/7 against Oklahoma State and a double-double against Mississippi State.

SEC sucks

2 hours ago, hogfan14 said:

15 points
6 rebounds
4 assists
5 steals
2 blocks

and

19 points
6 rebounds
3 assists
2 steals

I was about to make a post about how silly it is to try to say someone is a team's MVP by just look at the box scores, but then I realized you're an Arkansas fan and probably are giving a more informed opinion than that. Appreciate the perspective and glad Justin is making an impact for ya'll! 

Archived