Jump to content

Thoughts on Next Year's Roster


Purpose16
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi folks, 

Really enjoying the commentary and expertise you all provide...thoughts and questions on next year's roster if I may.

I have done extensive research on mock drafts and found two - and only two - that have Trace Jackson-Davis beling selected - both late in the 2nd round.  It is my thought he would be well advise to stay .. what sayest thou ?

I suspect Joey Brunk will return, but if anyone has differing insight, I'd love to hear it...I think he and Duncombe will really solidify the post and allow TJD to player smaller.  I think Parker Steward will help immensely and that Landers will replace Rob at the point.

Thanks all...enjoy the day.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

In theory we should be very deep if all of those players are back.  It is also diverse enough that people shouldn't have to play out of position.  It depends if Archie wants to play small and fast or what.  If TJD comes back, as frustrating as he can be, he should put up huge numbers.  I think we could be very good.  Starters and minutes wise?  Tough to say.  I guess TJD, Race, and Franklin seem like locks.  From there?  Stewart?  Lander?  Galloway?  Leal?  Hunter?  RP?  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Purpose16 said:

Hi folks, 

Really enjoying the commentary and expertise you all provide...thoughts and questions on next year's roster if I may.

I have done extensive research on mock drafts and found two - and only two - that have Trace Jackson-Davis beling selected - both late in the 2nd round.  It is my thought he would be well advise to stay .. what sayest thou ?

I suspect Joey Brunk will return, but if anyone has differing insight, I'd love to hear it...I think he and Duncombe will really solidify the post and allow TJD to player smaller.  I think Parker Steward will help immensely and that Landers will replace Rob at the point.

Thanks all...enjoy the day.

Hey, welcome to HSN...

I think if TJD stays, Brunk probably won't come back. I say that because if TJD DOES stay, we have...

TJD 

Race 

Duncomb 

Hunter 

Geronimo 

For what I think will be 2 (small lineup) or 3 (big lineup) and as I said in another thread, balancing development and playing time can be tricky nowadays. Brunk would stunt out growth in my opinion in this scenario. Now if Trayce leaves, sure, bring him back.

And I think that's as good as any other B1G team is bringing back. Of course with the turbulent last few season, who knows. 

Backcourt

Rob 

Khristian 

Stewart 

Armaan 

Anthony 

Trey 

Personally, that's the roster I would like to see. I don't think we have room for Al in there.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Purpose16 said:

Hi folks, 

Really enjoying the commentary and expertise you all provide...thoughts and questions on next year's roster if I may.

I have done extensive research on mock drafts and found two - and only two - that have Trace Jackson-Davis beling selected - both late in the 2nd round.  It is my thought he would be well advise to stay .. what sayest thou ?

I suspect Joey Brunk will return, but if anyone has differing insight, I'd love to hear it...I think he and Duncombe will really solidify the post and allow TJD to player smaller.  I think Parker Steward will help immensely and that Landers will replace Rob at the point.

Thanks all...enjoy the day.

Brunk is currently 23 and will be 24 next season (born November 1997). He'll have been at IU for 2 years which is long enough to have earned his master's degree. Those combined with back problems which might get worse after another season makes me think he won't be playing next season. I think he'll get out and start earning some money. On the other hand, next season is when players are supposed to be able to start earning for  their NIL so that might be enough incentive to return for a last season as he might be able to earn as much or more than he would at an entry level position in his chosen career. We'll see. 

If he does come back that gives the team some added depth up front but Brunk isn't really a difference maker. I don't see him making much of a difference in the team's record.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, go_iu_bb said:

Brunk is currently 23 and will be 24 next season (born November 1997). He'll have been at IU for 2 years which is long enough to have earned his master's degree. Those combined with back problems which might get worse after another season makes me think he won't be playing next season. I think he'll get out and start earning some money. On the other hand, next season is when players are supposed to be able to start earning for  their NIL so that might be enough incentive to return for a last season as he might be able to earn as much or more than he would at an entry level position in his chosen career. We'll see. 

If he does come back that gives the team some added depth up front but Brunk isn't really a difference maker. I don't see him making much of a difference in the team's record.

I think they need Brunk or another guy like Brunk in terms of size and strength. If Brunk leaves maybe they’ll target a transfer but that’s the only hole I see as long as everyone else comes back.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On paper IU could be improved compared to this season if TJD stays. Ultimately, they may finish in the same spot in the Big Ten. There are a lot of seniors at other schools that can return next season as it’s a free year for everyone. For example, Wisconsin can have half a team of 24-25 year olds next season. Garza can return for Iowa. Oh and Purdue will return everyone. 
 

IU has improved every year under Archie in terms of offensive and defensive efficiency. They could make another step forward and still not be a top 5 team in the conference. A lot will depend on who leaves other programs. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think next year’s roster has a chance to have all the parts needed to compete at the highest level.  

I hope that materializes because we can finish the five year evaluation of Archie.  This gives him a chance to prove he can win consistently.  Can he put the goofy losses to the low level teams to rest?  Can he win his fair share of games against the top teams instead of going o-fer?   If his teams get those 5-7 point leads, can his team extend those out to 12 to 14 point leads at a steady state instead of squandering them?

There is much to like about Archie, there really is.  But there is no bigger results oriented business than coaching.  If all goes well, he should have a complete roster.  Let’s see the team play that way.  

If you have team that should be in the 27-30 win zone and he goes, say, 21-10, that’s a major problem.  I think if the roster comes together we can compete for the B1G.  A fifth or sixth place finish wouldn’t cut it in year five.  

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Both TJD and Brunk coming back next year would be amazing. To go into the season with an interior of TJD, Race, Brunk, Duncomb and the ability to still play Hunter/Geronimo at the 4 at times as well, would as deep an interior as IU has had in a long, long time. 

Then you add Stewart to the perimeter and maybe a transfer guard and IU would be in great shape for a strong season. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Both TJD and Brunk coming back next year would be amazing. To go into the season with an interior of TJD, Race, Brunk, Duncomb and the ability to still play Hunter/Geronimo at the 4 at times as well, would as deep an interior as IU has had in a long, long time. 

Then you add Stewart to the perimeter and maybe a transfer guard and IU would be in great shape for a strong season. 

Agree!  I wish I could double heart that one.  Hey, it’s Valentine’s Day.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Both TJD and Brunk coming back next year would be amazing. To go into the season with an interior of TJD, Race, Brunk, Duncomb and the ability to still play Hunter/Geronimo at the 4 at times as well, would as deep an interior as IU has had in a long, long time. 

Then you add Stewart to the perimeter and maybe a transfer guard and IU would be in great shape for a strong season. 

That'd be hard to divvie up the frontcourt minutes I'd think. 

This year, sure, we could use Joey against guys like Myles Johnson, Liam Robbins, Hunter Dickinson, and Kofi Cockburn, and I think he'd help us.

But unless we're looking at Duncomb as a project and not a contributor next year, I'd be better with Joey moving on...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, IUFLA said:

That'd be hard to divvie up the frontcourt minutes I'd think. 

This year, sure, we could use Joey against guys like Myles Johnson, Liam Robbins, Hunter Dickinson, and Kofi Cockburn, and I think he'd help us.

But unless we're looking at Duncomb as a project and not a contributor next year, I'd be better with Joey moving on...

I'll take get old, stay old. If divvying up minutes is a problem then I'll take it. I'd rather have Brunk and Duncomb that way Duncomb can ease his way in without being relied upon. Hunter can also play the wing and let's be honest Geronimo is 6'6" and needs to develop more into a 3/4 anyways. 

I'll take the talent and worry about divvying up minutes later. Yeah, it's a deep front court, but all of the sudden not that deep if someone get hurt. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I'll take get old, stay old. If divvying up minutes is a problem then I'll take it. I'd rather have Brunk and Duncomb that way Duncomb can ease his way in without being relied upon. Hunter can also play the wing and let's be honest Geronimo is 6'6" and needs to develop more into a 3/4 anyways. 

I'll take the talent and worry about divvying up minutes later. Yeah, it's a deep front court, but all of the sudden not that deep if someone get hurt. 

Hunter can play a lot at the 3 in this scenario, too, which would be a really good thing. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I'll take get old, stay old. If divvying up minutes is a problem then I'll take it. I'd rather have Brunk and Duncomb that way Duncomb can ease his way in without being relied upon. Hunter can also play the wing and let's be honest Geronimo is 6'6" and needs to develop more into a 3/4 anyways. 

I'll take the talent and worry about divvying up minutes later. Yeah, it's a deep front court, but all of the sudden not that deep if someone get hurt. 

I know this...I wouldn't mind seeing Joey play here in the next few weeks. If we could get him back for Minnesota, I'd be happy. Liam Robbins is the kind of big we have problems with, and I think Joey would do the best job on him.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, KoB2011 said:

Hunter can play a lot at the 3 in this scenario, too, which would be a really good thing. 

Absolutely! If he could get his D more tightened up, I'd like to see that more this year down the stretch. Not necessarily starting, but a lineup of Lander, Franklin, Hunter, Race and TJD. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Absolutely! If he could get his D more tightened up, I'd like to see that more this year down the stretch. Not necessarily starting, but a lineup of Lander, Franklin, Hunter, Race and TJD. 

His D has gotten somewhat better...some of his decisions with the ball are questionable, but he's trying his hinny off on defense. 

And I like his confidence level.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, IUFLA said:

His D has gotten somewhat better...some of his decisions with the ball are questionable, but he's trying his hinny off on defense. 

And I like his confidence level.

Agree. I'd love to see us play a little bigger at times and with Hunter it comes without losing shooting. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, BGleas said:

Agree. I'd love to see us play a little bigger at times and with Hunter it comes without losing shooting. 

Another place where Joey would help. If we have Race, Trayce, and Jerome in, who do we spell them with?

Jordan right now, but I actually hate see him relegated to guarding post players (although he does a serviceable job most times).

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Hey, welcome to HSN...

I think if TJD stays, Brunk probably won't come back. I say that because if TJD DOES stay, we have...

TJD 

Race 

Duncomb 

Hunter 

Geronimo 

For what I think will be 2 (small lineup) or 3 (big lineup) and as I said in another thread, balancing development and playing time can be tricky nowadays. Brunk would stunt out growth in my opinion in this scenario. Now if Trayce leaves, sure, bring him back.

And I think that's as good as any other B1G team is bringing back. Of course with the turbulent last few season, who knows. 

Backcourt

Rob 

Khristian 

Stewart 

Armaan 

Anthony 

Trey 

Personally, that's the roster I would like to see. I don't think we have room for Al in there.

Thanks, both for the kind welcome and the insight, IUFLA.  Hadn't thought of Brunk staying in terms of growth stunting, but it does make sense.  It just seems to me he doensn't have the option of turning pro, so if he's enjoying the college experience, he would come back ...but again, I do see your point.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Bustout said:

Contrary to all of the Archie bashing, the potential rosters listed above look like B1G contenders.  All the more reason I think he’s here next year unless he leaves on his own, which I don’t see happening.    

Serious question...how often is it that you see a team go from bottom of the conference to contending for a title in one year with the same roster just getting a year older?

maybe that happens a lot more than I can picture. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

Serious question...how often is it that you see a team go from bottom of the conference to contending for a title in one year with the same roster just getting a year older?

maybe that happens a lot more than I can picture. 

Our last B1G title seems like a very similar situation. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

Serious question...how often is it that you see a team go from bottom of the conference to contending for a title in one year with the same roster just getting a year older?

maybe that happens a lot more than I can picture. 

I doubt we will finish at the bottom of the league this year.  UM finished 9th last year and looks like they will win it this year

Edited by IU Scott
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...