Marquette - Dawson Garcia

Bustout

25 minutes ago, Bustout said:

Some speculation that Wojo’s seat is en fuego.   If he is fired, I wonder if Dawson would consider leaving.  He’s phenomenal.  

He’d probably wait and see who they hire. The new coach will try and keep him. No reason to speculate yet though. A lot can happen between now and then. 

The Garcia recruiting failure was the most disappointing of the CAM era for me.  It was the first time I felt we had gone 100% out for a recruit and lost out.  It also confirmed my growing doubts about the ability to successfully recruit highly ranked out of state players (sadly, nothing has removed that doubt for me).

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

The Garcia recruiting failure was the most disappointing of the CAM era for me.  It was the first time I felt we had gone 100% out for a recruit and lost out.  It also confirmed my growing doubts about the ability to successfully recruit highly ranked out of state players (sadly, nothing has removed that doubt for me).

If this is true, then we don't have the right guy leading the program. 

18 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

Kaufman was a much bigger miss.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

They’ve since hired Kenya though.  Does that give you any hope?  He’s brought in Stewart thus far. 

3 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Kaufman was a much bigger miss.

Lol.  I knew someone would say this, and it may end up being true.

The feeling at the time of the Garcia recruitment was that CAM had done a great job of locking up the state.  But I feel that alone will not get us back to being national contenders - we need to bring in top players from all corners.  But that has yet to happen.

As for Kauffman, missing was particularly discouraging because he chose our rival over us.  I don't know if he's "great" or not, but sometimes I feel in-state players can be overhyped on IU message boards.

4 minutes ago, Bustout said:

They’ve since hired Kenya though.  Does that give you any hope?  He’s brought in Stewart thus far. 

Hope is just that - hope.  I have no feel one way or another on him.  Results are needed.  Stewart, to the extent that Kenya was involved will hopefully (there's that word again) provide much needed shooting.  Mid season transfers are a bit of an unusual circumstance.  A lot of teams have their rosters set and may not have an open scholarship available for the season in progress.  That may be moot if the kid never gets in a game in these remaining weeks.

11 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

The feeling at the time of the Garcia recruitment was that CAM had done a great job of locking up the state.  But I feel that alone will not get us back to being national contenders - we need to bring in top players from all corners.  But that has yet to happen.

As for Kauffman, missing was particularly discouraging because he chose our rival over us.  I don't know if he's "great" or not, but sometimes I feel in-state players can be overhyped on IU message boards.

Well I was always pretty certain that we never had a prayer at Garcia.  That seemed like Garland all over again.  Just a recruit using Archie to get attention.  But Trey was an in state recruit that we had to land and were also the clear front runner all along until the last minute.   

14 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

Players IU recruits can be overhyped and it remains to be seen how well Kaufman will play at the college level but he should fall into the "pretty good" to "great" college player range. He's similarly ranked (247 composite) to TJD coming out of HS (TJD 30 rating 0.9890, Kaufman 32 rating 0.9872). A bit smaller than TJD coming out of HS but he does have a more versatile offensive game. I haven't seen Kaufman play so I don't know about other aspects such as quickness compared to TJD. He should be a good player, though, and losing him hurt. Particularly losing him to Purdue.

Edited by go_iu_bb

2 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

Well I was always pretty certain that we never had a prayer at Garcia.  That seemed like Garland all over again.  Just a recruit using Archie to get attention.  But Trey was an in state recruit that we had to land and were also the clear front runner all along until the last minute.   

I don’t think this is true. I may be missing something, but haven’t seen anything that makes me believe it. 

5 hours ago, Zuckerkorn said:

The back to back years of losing out on Garcia then Kaufman/Mohammad combined with our up and down season has left a lot feeling like we are just treading water.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, dgambill said:

The back to back years of losing out on Garcia then Kaufman/Mohammad combined with our up and down season has left a lot feeling like we are just treading water.

Agree. When programs like MSU, UNC, Louisville, etc., are rolling is when they stack recruits like TJD, Garcia and Kaufmann in consecutive classes. Same at the guard spots. 

IU's problem the last 10-15+ years is we have those guys one at time, we rarely have 3 or so stud guys at the same time. 

We have Langford and then TJD. We have Zeller on the inside and then Vonleh, and then a year with none, and then Thomas Bryant. 

I've been waiting for the IU coach that can produce multiple top 30-40 recruits in a class and then stack 3-4 classes like that in a row. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Agree. When programs like MSU, UNC, Louisville, etc., are rolling is when they stack recruits like TJD, Garcia and Kaufmann in consecutive classes. Same at the guard spots. 

IU's problem the last 10-15+ years is we have those guys one at time, we rarely have 3 or so stud guys at the same time. 

We have Langford and then TJD. We have Zeller on the inside and then Vonleh, and then a year with none, and then Thomas Bryant. 

I've been waiting for the IU coach that can produce multiple top 30-40 recruits in a class and then stack 3-4 classes like that in a row. 

There are certainly coaches out there that could do that in Bloomington who we could get.  But I don't think they are are guys our administration would ever hire.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I think winning would be the recipe for that...

Crean did win, but by the time he did, he had supposedly alienated Indiana high school coaches to the degree that he couldn't pull solid classes from in state.

Basically, after "The Movement" we whiffed on every top 100 Indiana kid not named James Blackmon.

Initially, I heard Archie had a good relationship with most Indiana high school coaches, but I don't really know where that is. 

If he can win, still get most of the kids he wants in state, then he can go outside of the state a pick up some top 100 kids. Knight always seemed to get highly rated kids from the Midwest. I don't think you have to cover the whole US and unless there's a connection to the program from outside of the Midwest region, I'd concentrate my efforts there.

But winning is the key...

58 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I don’t know why it is so hard at IU...the facilities, the legacy, the conference....even in my NCAA game I have top 3 classes year in and year out. 😝

• Haha 1

• 4 months later...