Cancelled Games Mich and Mich. St.

Indykev

36 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I don't see any reason to make these up at this point.  I hope they don't 

We need quality wins...not sure Michigan st counts but a win at Michigan sure would. This team is far from a lock making the tournament and winning against Minnesota and maybe Rutgers probably won’t do it.

43 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I don't see any reason to make these up at this point.  I hope they don't 

I said in the Big 10 thread, seeing what they did to Nebraska this week making them play back to back on Tuesday and Wednesday at Maryland, we'll be making those 2 games up...

20 minutes ago, dgambill said:

We need quality wins...not sure Michigan st counts but a win at Michigan sure would. This team is far from a lock making the tournament and winning against Minnesota and maybe Rutgers probably won’t do it.

I don't think they will look at how those games effect IU but if UM will be able to make up 5 games in 3 weeks.

43 minutes ago, dgambill said:

There is no way we win at Michigan unless JIm Harbaugh was coaching the Wolverines. Playing up there we lose by 20.

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I believe Archie would have us ready to roll. We jump on them early and never look back.

I believe Michigan has superior talent, are both offensively and defensively superior to us and they have shooters. The game would not even be close. I wish it was a different story but the facts don't lie. Michigan by 20!

1 minute ago, jefftheref said:

I believe Michigan has superior talent, are both offensively and defensively superior to us and they have shooters. The game would not even be close. I wish it was a different story but the facts don't lie. Michigan by 20!

Yes, those long scoring droughts against mediocre teams is one thing.  You do that against Michigan, and they will be run out of the gym.

59 minutes ago, jefftheref said:

I believe Michigan has superior talent, are both offensively and defensively superior to us and they have shooters. The game would not even be close.

Yep.  Michigan is #3 in the country.  They have the top-ranked recruiting class for 2021 with six commits.

Their new coach is doing quite well in his . . . second . . . season.

3 hours ago, Madison22 said:

Yep.  Michigan is #3 in the country.  They have the top-ranked recruiting class for 2021 with six commits.

He came in under better circumstances.

They must be cheating to get those recruits.

They have been lucky to not have the injuries we have had.

Mike Davis made the Final game with someone else's players too.

Am I missing anything?

Make up the  MSU game and skip the Michigan game. In fact just cancel the 2nd Michigan as well. IU doesn’t need quality wins, they just needs wins to make the NCAA tournament. If Gonzaga can rack up wins in a crap conference and get a 2 seed, then IU just needs to get W’s where they can in conference to get a 10 seed. 

12 hours ago, Madison22 said:

I say wait until year 4-5. If Howard still maintains a good program, UM will become a true powerhouse. I've seen similar things in the past. Our own Mike Davis, Bruce Weber (aka the Fist), and Kevin Ollie. The first two were runner-up in their second season, and Ollie won a championship in his second season. All 3 inherited teams from excellent coaches, but they were not very good at raising their own teams. My guess is Howard would be another example. 

I'm getting nervous for the final week between 2/27 and 3/6. My gut tells me Big 10 will try to jam these games in on Tuesday and Thursday of that week. 4 games in 7 days because of a Michigan St and Michigan issue.

At this point I'm more in favor of just not making them up. We would be at a competitive disadvantage playing/travelling for those games because of an issue that wasn't our problem. 

Yes. I know that seems weak but which scenario is more likely? Playing multiple games in 72 hours and getting blown out by Michigan or Purdue....or us winning 3 of the 4 that week? We need wins not blowout losses on our resume. 

16 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I'm getting nervous for the final week between 2/27 and 3/6. My gut tells me Big 10 will try to jam these games in on Tuesday and Thursday of that week. 4 games in 7 days because of a Michigan St and Michigan issue.

At this point I'm more in favor of just not making them up. We would be at a competitive disadvantage playing/travelling for those games because of an issue that wasn't our problem. 

Yes. I know that seems weak but which scenario is more likely? Playing multiple games in 72 hours and getting blown out by Michigan or Purdue....or us winning 3 of the 4 that week? We need wins not blowout losses on our resume. 

In his radio show with Fisch Archie said he didn't see any way Michigan can make up those 5 games and still play the rest of their schedule as normal...

Whatever the B1G does, they need to start rolling out the plan soon...

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

In his radio show with Fisch Archie said he didn't see any way Michigan can make up those 5 games and still play the rest of their schedule as normal...

Whatever the B1G does, they need to start rolling out the plan soon...

I'm looking at Sparty schedule. They have us Saturday, Illini on Tuesday, Ohio St Thursday, and at Maryland Sunday. Only the last week is left. Shoot the schedule is already unbalanced. Us playing Sparty and Michigan once isn't going to change things much. Especially with no fans. Just leave it at that and get the teams/conference positioned to be healthy for tourney play. 

No reason to hammer some of your conference first week of March.

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I'm looking at Sparty schedule. They have us Saturday, Illini on Tuesday, Ohio St Thursday, and at Maryland Sunday. Only the last week is left. Shoot the schedule is already unbalanced. Us playing Sparty and Michigan once isn't going to change things much. Especially with no fans. Just leave it at that and get the teams/conference positioned to be healthy for tourney play. 

I say we make up the MSU game but let the Michigan game go 😁

6 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Either you finish up the season and have no conference tournament or you cut the losses and have a tournament but to try to ram it all through is nonsense. Honestly should have just quarantined those exposed and played who was available. I don’t care if it was walk ons. Still don’t know how UK missed only one game (Texas) because of Covid yet these schools and others missed weeks. If they try to cram it all in all they will do his hurt the conference come tournament time with the kids all exhausted as that tournament is condensed too.

Just now, dgambill said:

Either you finish up the season and have no conference tournament or you cut the losses and have a tournament but to try to ram it all through is nonsense. Honestly should have just quarantined those exposed and played who was available. I don’t care if it was walk ons. Still don’t know how UK missed only one game (Texas) because of Covid yet these schools and others missed weeks. If they try to cram it all in all they will do his hurt the conference come tournament time with the kids all exhausted as that tournament is condensed too.

They won't cram it all through and hurt the top teams like Michigan or Iowa.

Now.... if we were a top team this year, they'd be cramming it all. 

18 hours ago, Feathery said:

Make up the  MSU game and skip the Michigan game. In fact just cancel the 2nd Michigan as well. IU doesn’t need quality wins, they just needs wins to make the NCAA tournament. If Gonzaga can rack up wins in a crap conference and get a 2 seed, then IU just needs to get W’s where they can in conference to get a 10 seed. 

Yet you forget that Gonzaga has beaten Kansas, Auburn, Virginia, West Virginia, Iowa, and BYU x2. Gonzaga is one of the top two teams in the country and it isn't because they play in a weak conference

8 hours ago, ChiHoosier said:

Yet you forget that Gonzaga has beaten Kansas, Auburn, Virginia, West Virginia, Iowa, and BYU x2. Gonzaga is one of the top two teams in the country and it isn't because they play in a weak conference

Of course they are. I didn’t forget anything. But they have 7 tough games. If they can get a 1 seed with 7 tough games, then IU doesn’t need more quality wins to make it as a 10 seed. IU just needs wins at this point. 

Archived