Minnesota Pre Game Thread

IUFLA

When: Wednesday, February 17th 9 PM EST BTN

Where: Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall, Bloomington, IN

Minnesota's roster:

Minny.PNG.b74d5b022243efbcdd4ff56e1830aba0.PNG

They go about 9 deep. Marcus Carr is of course their go to guy. High volume shooter. He's like the whole team is...Great at home, terrible on the road. Winless on the road in B1G play (0-7). They've beaten Iowa, OSU, and Michigan at home though.

Liam Robbins is the kind of big man that give us problems. 7 footer, not real mobile, but he can shoot from outside, and he leads the league in blocked shots.

Gabe Kalscheur is a streaky shooter that can hurt you if he gets going. But he's at 25% from 3 right now.

Jamal Mashburn Jr can play. He's been in double figures 3 of their last 4 games. 

And sophomore Tre' Williams has been getting more playing time lately. I watched him against Maryland and he can play. I actually think Minnesota is better in the backcourt with Williams and Mashburn over Carr. More balanced at least.

Here are their stats for the year:

1835017311_MinnyStats.PNG.9c5ef621cb5695c0edac5ed04d987ddd.PNG

They're an abominable 3 point shooting team as you can see, but they like to take a lot of them (541 compared to our 365).

We should be able to control Carr between Rob and Armaan. Carr is quick and likes to get into the paint. We held him to 12 and 6 in our 2 wins against them last year with Rob guarding him both games.

I'm hoping we can win going away...

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

This is a game where we have to start out strong and not our normal slow starts. With Minnesota struggles on the road we can't let them get comfortable and think they will come in here and win

It seems like the majority of the slow starts are offensively and not scoring points ... missing some easy buckets.  Therefore, since it’s happened time after time, and it’s probably not going to happen, but why not try starting Jerome and Lander?   Lander for Rob ... maybe Hunter for Al or possibly Race - based on the better matchup?   

Then if a lead is established, u can bring in the pack-line wolves of Rob and Race/Al!!!

Negative percent chance this happens, but as you mentioned, don’t want to see a 15-4 deficit at first TV timeout. 

Or just start the four freshman and Armaan - send a real message.  This way, you aren’t singling out one guy, but the whole damn bunch. 

I envision Indiana 70 - Minny 62.  U Minn recently lost to Maryland by double digits.  Maryland went on a huge run early.  Maryland hit 10 of 20 from the 3.  Maryland shot 53% from the field.

IU has to cure 2 things so that the start of the game is decent.  So, I predict Lander starts.  Then the only thing left is that TJD has to score early.  

Maryland's 7' starter may not be completely mobile because of an ankle injury.  A guard is also injured.

I have 2 questions:   1.  Will IU drop the ball early?   2.  I am meeting friends and hitting the local brewery early tonight.  Will I be watching the 2nd half or asleep? Socially distancing and masked of course...if not I am out of there.)

(I am getting my Covid 19 shot Thursday afternoon.  Really a weird dystopia we are experiencing.  Happy to get a vaccine.  Whoda thunkit?}

12 minutes ago, Air Ball said:

I envision Indiana 70 - Minny 62.  U Minn recently lost to Maryland by double digits.  Maryland went on a huge run early.  Maryland hit 10 of 20 from the 3.  Maryland shot 53% from the field.

IU has to cure 2 things so that the start of the game is decent.  So, I predict Lander starts.  Then the only thing left is that TJD has to score early.  

Maryland's 7' starter may not be completely mobile because of an ankle injury.  A guard is also injured.

I have 2 questions:   1.  Will IU drop the ball early?   2.  I am meeting friends and hitting the local brewery early tonight.  Will I be watching the 2nd half or asleep? Socially distancing and masked of course...if not I am out of there.)

(I am getting my Covid 19 shot Thursday afternoon.  Really a weird dystopia we are experiencing.  Happy to get a vaccine.  Whoda thunkit?}

There's no way you put Khristian on Marcus Carr at this point in his career. The last thing we need is a guy who struggles on the road (Carr) getting his confidence early against an 18 year old kid.

If you saw the OSU game, you know what I'm talking about. Whenever we had Galloway or Leal on Justice Sueing, they'd clear out and let him take them to the basket. It was almost unfair. Huge mismatch and he was going to score on them every time.

We'll be fine with our regular lineup. Khristian will get his time, but hopefully he'll be guarding another freshman, Jamal Mashburn Jr...

Archived